Used 2006 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great Investment
By gradstudent456

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 has nearly 150K miles on it and with regular maintenance, tire rotations/balancing and oil changes, I have had very few issues. I constantly receive compliments on how elegant the car is. Many acquaintances believe it newer and more expensive than it is. I am lucky to have Volvo-specialized mechanic with integrity in town. While parts are expensive, I plan on having the car until it dies because it is such good quality. Purchasing this vehicle is like purchasing a high-quality leather handbag. It is expensive but if you care for it regularly, the investment will bring you satisfaction and contentment for many years. You will be proud to own even if it is not the newest.

Favorite Features

Surround sound is great! Elegant interior is calming. Huge windows mean great visibility all around. Moonroof is fantastic. I am petite, so I love that I can raise height of driver seat and lower steering wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof drainage was an issue for a little while until got it cleaned. Only mechanical issues I had were result of previous owner negligence. Once resolved those and got on regular maintenance schedule, no unexpected issues.

VOLVO SAVED MY LIFE
By jlong4

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was driving an 06 black Volvo s40 2.4i. It had 138k miles and drove like brand new. I loved every second of it. However, one day there was a dog on the freeway in the fast lane. I swerved and couldn't gain control back. I went across five lanes of traffic where I then flipped, all while doing 70. The curtain airbag deployed and I was able to walk away with a small bruise. Needless to say, I went and bought another 06 blue Volvo s40 T5. And I could not be happier. Once a Volvo, always a Volvo. I have not had any issues with the new one. Usual maintenance and what not, gas mileage is at about 24-27 MPG, but not bad for a turbo.

lemon, literally
By monicald

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 1 year I had taken my car in to repair the electrical 5 times, they couldn't do it. At one point the driver door wouldn't open and I had to enter my car through the passenger side. Volvo ended up settling for a good sized pay out. Here is a list of other problems I had with car, none of which were covered by warranty as they occurred just after the 50k warranty was up: 1) engine thermostat never worked 2) due to above, car overheated, replaced radiator reservoir & new thermostat 3) spark plugs replaced 4) door lock covers popped off 5) plastic peeling off control buttons 6) major water leak when rains, floor thoroughly soaked 7) radio shorted out 8) Trunk stuck in closed position

Favorite Features

Comfortable car, good power, fast.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical problems in this car. Don't sell lemons! Recall the car and fix the drainage problem in the sunroof, this is an obvious design flaw, don't make us pay for it. My co-worker has the same car and has the same flooding problem in her car due to the sunroof drainage issues.

THE MOST AWSOME CAR
By Jeff

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car brand new, and have found it to be the car that spoils me. I love this car soo much that I made it my garage queen, she is polished and stored. We take her out on vacations and long trips. She is our total luxary/sport car. THANK YOU VOLVO!!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!

Excellent car that saved family's life!
By Will J

2006 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Our Volvo saved our life/limbs! We were recently hit at full speed from a guy who ran a red light! our car absorbed all the impact. None of us were severely injured (thank God!). I miss my 'Velvet' already :-(. We always got tons of remarks on the styling and the interior. Very sturdy, high quality equipment inside and out. Looked great with 18" rims on it. I bought it fresh from the Swedish factory in 2005, and had ZERO mechanical problems in 5 yrs of driving, including driving 2 yrs on the autobahn! My car was totaled in the accident but I plan to get another. I am Volvo for life. :-)

Favorite Features

10-speaker Bose surround sound with 6-disc in dash changer was excellent! fog lights looked impressive in pics :-D. The T-Tec seats were easy to clean! Nice tight turning with great handling. auto-adjusting illumination is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for the size of vehicle otherwise this may be a 'flawless' car! The Swedes reign supreme in my book :-)