Volvo s40 t5 extended test drive
By adzling on
2005 Volvo S40 T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)
I had the pleasure of driving a loaded 05 t5 for a couple weeks around the SF Bay area recently and came away very impressed. For comparison I test drove the g35 sedan, Audi A4, Subaru WRX and Passat V6; still the s40 came away w/ higher marks in imho. I had the opportunity to push it up to 125 and do some high speed mountain driving to test it's road holding and passing prowess. Succeeded admirably w/out complaints nor any noticeable under/ oversteer or turbolag. This car loves to go. Ride was a good compromise between road- holding and comfort, though if it was me I would have stiffened the suspension slightly.
Favorite Features
Interior controls very well laid out and self explanatory. Great premium sound. Really superb 0-60 and high speed cruising, Decent room for rear passengers in this car class. Well thought through and classy yet restrained styling.
Suggested Improvements
Power steering is a little soft for my liking; volvo should adopt the honda approach of tightening steering response as speed increases so that you need less movement of the wheel to turn the car. Key fob should auto close all windows and sunroof when you hold down the lock button.