Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

4th Time a Charm
By Ric

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have now purchased my fourth Volvo. I own a 240 GL (each of my kids learned to drive in it) a V70 XC AWD (wife's) and an 850 GLT. Combined, I have over 550K miles on them all - and this isn't counting my first one, a 240 DL wagon which I put over 300K on as the kid mover car!! Now I own an S40 T5 AWD and it is the best Volvo I have ever had! If I am careful, I even get good gas mileage (around 29 mpg combined). It is fun to drive and a solid handling and feeling car. I anticipate putting lots of miles on this car like I have my other ones!

Favorite Features

Available power, handling and Volvo safety/reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior rear hump courtesy light, please bring it back!

Nice Car, but Unreliable
By chanachi

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle in May of 2004 - the new body style. Nice styling, interior, and ride. In my opinion, reliability has been poor. The car has less than 23K miles and has had problems with brakes (bad rotors) and engine (all intake valves replaced). Thankfully the vehicle was covered under the warranty. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, center console, quite enjoyable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability - yikes!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 (6 speed man)
By jake

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a fantastic driver with its perfect amount of power for its 6 speed manual transmission. I drive surface streets and freeway everyday to work and this car hands great through traffic in low speeds and really shines at high speeds. The turbo and 6 speed manual combo makes merging onto high speed freeways not just easy but a delight. I get complimented daily at it's appearance. Plenty of room for the entire family of 4. Trunk space is generous. I especially like how well the hood is tucked into the body design. I would suggest for your seating comfort to choose leather over T tech fabric. Just a note the sport suspension may be a little stiff for some peoples comfort but you reap the great benefits of it's smooth handling and cornering ability.

Favorite Features

I really like the center console and the six disc cd changer. The duel climate control is very nice for my cold blooded wife. The rear spoiler is also a great feature.

still love this car . . .
By smb83

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this car almost two years and am still very happy. 28-30 mpg consistently. No problems, just in for software upgrade on radio one time. Easy and fun to drive; great on highway and around town; great in snow and rain. Very happy, will definitely buy another S40 when ready to trade. Love my S40.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; seat comfort; easy and fun to drive. Excellent brakes-- especially in St. Louis rush-hour traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders don't always stay in very well; wish rear visibility was a little better (but will sacrifice that for safety cage).

S-40 2.4i
By fred ehmann

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is a solid car that will please those looking more for quiet, comfort, and reliability rather than punchy performance. The motor is willing--just not exciting. However, 30 mpg is the payoff for what you give up in thrills. In 2+ years and 35,000 miles I've not had a single repair and am on original tires and brakes. Not bad!

Favorite Features

Looks good and gives me no trouble; comes with everything you need, standard.

Suggested Improvements

There are not a lot of roomy bins for storage inside.