Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

2005 S40 T5 AWD
By jstephens617

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used in 2006 with 20K miles on it. This was my first "new" car purchase out of college. The dealership gave me a great deal at 22K fully loaded with leather, cold weather package, sunroof, etc. I needed the all wheel drive since I drive roughly 100 miles round trip to work. This car has excellent acceleration and while on the highway it has no need to downshift to pass somebody. The power range and turbo plus the AWD system make this car a blast so drive. The geartronic transmission make the drive even more enjoyable by allowing me to switch into manual mode when needed.

Favorite Features

The memory seats (so my wife can have her position and I can have mine) so there's no need to find that "perfect" positioning every time. Also the heated mirrors and windshield washer fluid (it helps ease the tension with this nasty New England weather)

Suggested Improvements

Better radio or whatever needs to be done to keep it from losing reception randomly.

Volvo Man
By Q

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car is enjoyable enough. I stink at driving and dog my cars and it's still going great at almost 70,000 miles. I would not recommend the car, buy a Honda it's cheaper and more reliable. But if you really love Volvo's it's not too bad.

Favorite Features

Styling, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really

Couldn't be happier
By Thor's Owner

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We named our Swedish beauty Thor, and we honestly couldn't be happier with the performance, sexiness, drive, reliability, and overall feel of the car. On the freeway, cruise control is the only way to go if you want to avoid getting a speeding ticket. The car just itches to go fast. Fuel economy could be better, but what do you expect with such a powerful engine? Three years of driving this car and we are still deeply in love.

Favorite Features

The interior is lovely. We have the t- tec upholstery, which is sporty and easy to clean (and not too hot in the summer). The exterior is lovely, especially in bright red. The car handles very well in snowy conditions as well.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, I can't think of any, but I might be biased since I am so in love with the car.

Best bang for the buck!
By jim

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have 61,000 miles on this car & definitely would buy again. Combination of acceleration, handling, traction, features is a good value. Have the daltec interior & prefer it to the leather. 23-25 mpg and I am an aggresive driver. Had two software "tweaks" at the dealer, and a bearing replaced (all under warranty. Otherwise, no problems at all.

Favorite Features

Styling, 17" wheels, traction, functional utility (rearfold-down seats).

Suggested Improvements

more legroom for back seat passengers. Glove box hard to dig into, hood release challenging location.

Is it held together with plastic screws?
By stephen3484

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

What a piece of junk. I have owned many cars (German and American) and this one is just awful. I have 21000 miles on it but it drives like there are 121000 miles on the clock. A/C problems; stereo has a mind of its own; creaks, rattles, and shakes; the windows have a mind of there own; the gas gauge is unreliable; the ABS doesn't work; the whole steering system is screwed up and the list goes on. The car has gotten to the point where the steering and lack of ABS have made it almost unsafe and definitely unsettling to drive.

Favorite Features

Nice, supportive and relatively comfortable seats. Decent factory stereo; the center channel speaker is cool. Handles all right for a front wheel driver. Fold down rear seats. And that's it.