2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Better than my A4
By Frankie76 on 10/25/05 15:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you going to buy an S40, go with the turbo. This model has a much better performance than the 2.41 engine. I had an 03 A4 1.8. which I traded for the S40. I have not looked back!! From quality to performance and of course safety, it beats my Audi in all categories. I first drove this car as a company car, leased 2004.5 2.4i. I recently turned it back as I had put 40,000 miles. That car had absolutely no problems. Other than the scheduled maint.

Love it!
By najowa on 10/09/05 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my S40 since June of this year, and am so happy with it. I love the way it looks, it has a great ride, and great performance. I can't wait to see how it does in the New England snow this winter, as I mainly wanted this car because of its AWD. I went with the Select Package, which includes the sunroof, larger wheels, and upgraded stereo. The sound is awesome; everyone comments on how nice the stereo is. Can't wait until the C70 convertible, based on the S40 platform, comes out next year.

love it but mine's a lemon
By mbjeanes on 10/07/05 01:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

After researching and test driving cars for 4 months, I fell in love with the S40. It drives like a dream, accelerates well,is fun to shift, has a moon roof and premium sound system. Couldn't be happier-- when it's not in the shop. I've owned the car less than 9 weeks and it's been in the shop for 24 days. It has less than 18K mi. The climate control sensor blew hot air and was serviced 2x before replacement was backordered; the window regulators on both front windows were replaced; window rail on driver's side replaced; the passenger seat belt was replaced (air bag light came on). I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow but after 3 wks in a loaner, I'm not sure I'll remember how to drive it

Very Disappointed
By Andrea on 10/06/05 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for less than a year and it has been in the shop for brake problems 3 times already. I've also had to go in for software updates for 3 times also. Now I'm having a airbag issue. The company is non- responsive to these problems. This car has made me miss my old car that was 8 years old.

Great Car
By Greg on 09/22/05 09:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. Had a few small problems with accessories and small parts, but nothing major.

Dissapointed
By Dos santos on 09/21/05 18:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

With gas prices as they are, this purchase was as much about fuel economy as was safety and styling. The EPA ratings say 22 city/ 30 highway. City driving we get 16 and highway 21. This is so far off the mark, I feel ripped off. The dealership just says there are variations. Other than using the AC, I drive as fuel efficiently as possible. I have no problems with our other cars. I bought this to help save money opn gas but I guess I'll have to drive my 7 passenger Toyota SUV , 8 cylinder,that gets gas mileage just shy of these numbers. Why is it some auto makers test their vehicles more accurately than others???

Solid and nice looking
By ken on 08/22/05 21:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After 4 months and 4000 miles the S40 T5(prem,clim,conv,audio,auto)is doing okay. Chose FWD to improve MPG and reliabilty. Only service is for fuel pump gasket that causes the check engine light and they always try to blame on improper gas cap application. Pending service for weak Homelink transmitter and broken lens on light below ext mirror. The computer for radio and all the program functions needs to be rebooted occasionally. The OS must be MS product! It is just the right size for my wife(short),very responsive, unique, easy to park. It is costly and MPG is disappointing.

S40 T5
By S40 T5 on 07/15/05 03:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Awesome car! The turbocharged engine is very powerful and will easily break the front tires loose. I have the sport package w/ dynamic sport suspension and it makes for a great handling car with little body lean. Geartronic automatic transmission is very smooth and fun manual control, it will actually allow you to take off in first, second, or third gear! This car feels very solid and the steering has nice weight and feel. Excellent build quality, everything feels solid and of high quality and nothing creaks, squeaks or rattles. This is a great, fun to drive car.

Love it!
By Michael S. on 07/05/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

OK, so I don't drive much. I work from home, so I do mostly short trips with an occasional 30 mile highway drive. That said, I love my S40. Great pickup on the highway when I need it (80 without even trying), OK gas mileage around town. I have the premium sound and moonroof. Loved the moonroof before we hit rainy season here in Miami, and the sound system is like being in a concert hall. Not many S40s on the road here, so it's nice having a somehwat unique car. Extremely pleased so far (even though I haven't even broken 1,000 miles yet).

Nothing but trouble
By DSM on 07/01/05 10:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 S40 brand new back in November. As soon as I hit 3,000 miles everything went downhill. I found myself taking my car in for repairs more than I was driving it! In the 6 months that I owned it, it spent 45 days in the service department during 7 separate visits! And they couldn't even fix most of the problems! This was the worst decision I have ever made. Thanks to an attorney, I filed a lawsuit against Volvo and they were forced to purchase the car back. Never again will I buy another Volvo.