2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews 13

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Moving On Up
By Jay, New York on 12/04/04 22:40 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I only drove Hondas for the past 15 years and felt it was time for a change. Frankly, the Hondas are good, but everybody has one. The new Volvo S40's design caught my eye right away. Once I test drove it, I was sold. I'm not a car freak and drive to/from work (about 45 miles a day) and run some errands on the weekends. I wanted a car that was fun and put some spark back into my daily commute. Boy, has this car filled the bill. My friends compliment me on its great looks, and that's a real switch. Look, I'm 43 and honestly a car is not going to change my life, but you know what, who says you can't have a little fun even when work and little league are your usual destinations.

Unbeatable Value
By AZDriver on 11/24/04 16:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I just got one of the last 2004.5's at a discount of nearly $6,000. I got the 2.4i fully loaded, with nearly every option for $23,400. I've been researching cars now for the last 6 months and have test driven numerous competitors such as the new Subaru Legacy, Mazda 3S, Audi A4, and Acura RSX. The S40i drives better than all of them...not quite as fast as the Audi or Acura, but a smoother more comfortable drive. It blows the Subaru and Mazda out of the water although the Subie was much nicer than the Mazda. Great dealership experience. This is my 3rd Volvo and I keep buying them for a reason...they are truly great cars. I just hope their quality doesn't decrease now that they're Ford.

intro. to sport sedan
By Daniel Dingo on 11/15/04 23:26 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The 2005 volvo s40 is a great intro. level sports sedan. For under $25,000 the s40 gives you a great unique design and comfort. The 2.5L engine is under powered for this car, and the lack of power doesn't give you a good fuel economy in this case. I am getting about 18-20 mpg for city and highway. The s40 have one of the best features for safety, it drives like a Toyota camry but it have to look of a great sport coupe.

Safe, Fun, Performance - Wife's car :(
By SaturnManMike on 11/15/04 07:22 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Picked up a loaded T5... Was going to order a 2.4i but opted to drive the turbo... Worlds apart in acceleration. The car just wants to fly coming out of second gear. Sixth gear is great travling down the interstate. Handling is good on back roads. Little rough on the interstate, but that is to be expected. All the controls are laid out nicely - Center stack is really neat, did not even notice the storage behind it. Options on car - Premium, Sport, Audio, Climate, Convenience, DSTC, and BI- Xeon...

2005 S40
By Horsefeeder on 11/08/04 15:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is definitely a great/cheaper alternative to the A4, if performance is not your thing. The base 2.4 has little zip, but handles very well - except on the highway. The gas tank, though listed at 16 gallons, is actually only 12 due to a poor design which placed a 'hump' in the gas tank to allow for the AWD option. Instead of a 350+/- range, its more like 260, which means more trips to the gas station (thank Ford for that!). Great trunk space, lots of leg-room in the back seat, fold-down back seat provides tons of cargo space for such a small car. If you're used to a 4-cylinder, get the base 2.4, but if you're used to a 6-cylinder, get the T5 or else you'll be bored out of your mind!

John's
By stormcloud on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Beautiful and fun car to drive. Not underpowered compared to 2004 S40 it replaced. Old car totaled in chain crash without injury to driver. 2004.5 feels even more solid. Rain sensor auto drives wipers when rain varys.

My Favorite Car to Date!!
By SimplySweet on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I, like many, was looking at the BMWs, Audi's, etc. But this car most surely outperformed! And is so sassy! I love it!!

Good bang for the buck
By Joe3435 on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Smooth ride at a reasonable price. My first luxury car and it does me well. Lots of features for the price. I love the styling!!!! Go test drive one.

best car ever i love it
By D shap on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

an exciting fun car with the feel of the BMW 330xi at a lower price. Exact same features as the 330. Getting the same thing for less money. My family owns both cars and they are almost identical.

Fantastic Car for the money
By Brett Bedell on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Great car for the money. In my opinion a better car than the S60. More modern, just as much room, and a much better stereo than the S60.