Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Love it!
By najowa

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my S40 since June of this year, and am so happy with it. I love the way it looks, it has a great ride, and great performance. I can't wait to see how it does in the New England snow this winter, as I mainly wanted this car because of its AWD. I went with the Select Package, which includes the sunroof, larger wheels, and upgraded stereo. The sound is awesome; everyone comments on how nice the stereo is. Can't wait until the C70 convertible, based on the S40 platform, comes out next year.

Favorite Features

Stereo, performance, style, comfort, roomy interior for a small car, solid feel. And love the fin on top of the car, too!

Suggested Improvements

Please, please put a bigger gas tank in future models. At just over 15 gallons, I have to fill up way too often. Gas mileage could be better, but I notice it is improving now that the car has 5000 miles on it and has had two oil changes. I'm getting about 26.5 if all highway, 25 combined.

love it but mine's a lemon
By mbjeanes

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

After researching and test driving cars for 4 months, I fell in love with the S40. It drives like a dream, accelerates well,is fun to shift, has a moon roof and premium sound system. Couldn't be happier-- when it's not in the shop. I've owned the car less than 9 weeks and it's been in the shop for 24 days. It has less than 18K mi. The climate control sensor blew hot air and was serviced 2x before replacement was backordered; the window regulators on both front windows were replaced; window rail on driver's side replaced; the passenger seat belt was replaced (air bag light came on). I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow but after 3 wks in a loaner, I'm not sure I'll remember how to drive it

Favorite Features

Love the handling, styling, sound system (except radio reception is poor). Love the safety features, especially on the road with all those SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

I've lost confidence in this car. Reliability seems to be zero. Service dept is nice but not in a hurry to get it right and management is patronizing when asked about the reliability. The key is too big. Needs a clock on the radio.

Very Disappointed
By Andrea

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for less than a year and it has been in the shop for brake problems 3 times already. I've also had to go in for software updates for 3 times also. Now I'm having a airbag issue. The company is non- responsive to these problems. This car has made me miss my old car that was 8 years old.

Favorite Features

The style

Suggested Improvements

Have better customer service when the car is clearly have too many problems.

Great Car
By Greg

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. Had a few small problems with accessories and small parts, but nothing major.

Dissapointed
By Dos santos

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

With gas prices as they are, this purchase was as much about fuel economy as was safety and styling. The EPA ratings say 22 city/ 30 highway. City driving we get 16 and highway 21. This is so far off the mark, I feel ripped off. The dealership just says there are variations. Other than using the AC, I drive as fuel efficiently as possible. I have no problems with our other cars. I bought this to help save money opn gas but I guess I'll have to drive my 7 passenger Toyota SUV , 8 cylinder,that gets gas mileage just shy of these numbers. Why is it some auto makers test their vehicles more accurately than others???

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out. Nice basic features ie sterio, center console.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage. Engine sounds whiney and high pitched.