Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Better than my A4
By Frankie76

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you going to buy an S40, go with the turbo. This model has a much better performance than the 2.41 engine. I had an 03 A4 1.8. which I traded for the S40. I have not looked back!! From quality to performance and of course safety, it beats my Audi in all categories. I first drove this car as a company car, leased 2004.5 2.4i. I recently turned it back as I had put 40,000 miles. That car had absolutely no problems. Other than the scheduled maint.

Power, Handling, Fun to drive, and features.

back seats kind of tight. Rear leg room

Love it!
By najowa

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my S40 since June of this year, and am so happy with it. I love the way it looks, it has a great ride, and great performance. I can't wait to see how it does in the New England snow this winter, as I mainly wanted this car because of its AWD. I went with the Select Package, which includes the sunroof, larger wheels, and upgraded stereo. The sound is awesome; everyone comments on how nice the stereo is. Can't wait until the C70 convertible, based on the S40 platform, comes out next year.

Stereo, performance, style, comfort, roomy interior for a small car, solid feel. And love the fin on top of the car, too!

Please, please put a bigger gas tank in future models. At just over 15 gallons, I have to fill up way too often. Gas mileage could be better, but I notice it is improving now that the car has 5000 miles on it and has had two oil changes. I'm getting about 26.5 if all highway, 25 combined.

love it but mine's a lemon
By mbjeanes

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

After researching and test driving cars for 4 months, I fell in love with the S40. It drives like a dream, accelerates well,is fun to shift, has a moon roof and premium sound system. Couldn't be happier-- when it's not in the shop. I've owned the car less than 9 weeks and it's been in the shop for 24 days. It has less than 18K mi. The climate control sensor blew hot air and was serviced 2x before replacement was backordered; the window regulators on both front windows were replaced; window rail on driver's side replaced; the passenger seat belt was replaced (air bag light came on). I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow but after 3 wks in a loaner, I'm not sure I'll remember how to drive it

Love the handling, styling, sound system (except radio reception is poor). Love the safety features, especially on the road with all those SUVs.

I've lost confidence in this car. Reliability seems to be zero. Service dept is nice but not in a hurry to get it right and management is patronizing when asked about the reliability. The key is too big. Needs a clock on the radio.

Very Disappointed
By Andrea

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for less than a year and it has been in the shop for brake problems 3 times already. I've also had to go in for software updates for 3 times also. Now I'm having a airbag issue. The company is non- responsive to these problems. This car has made me miss my old car that was 8 years old.

The style

Have better customer service when the car is clearly have too many problems.

Great Car
By Greg

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. Had a few small problems with accessories and small parts, but nothing major.

• SUV