2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Chose S40 over TSX
By Dewey Kinchen on 12/26/04 00:20 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I work for an Acura & Volvo dealership and was torn between the 05 Volvo S40 and the Acura TSX. Both have great styling. Volvo has a modern stylish interior, while the TSX has the more "Luxurious" interior. While the fit and finish of the Acura was tempting, it was the handling of the S40 that won me over. I purchased a black one with premium package and sport package. I am VERY VERY happy with my decision. Plus, with factory paid maintenance for 30,000 miles, how could I go wrong. Heck, I just have to put gas in the thing for the next 2 years.

Nice car but it has some issues
By John on 12/24/04 14:30 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I like this car quite a bit but it is not without issues. The mileage I get is terrible. Nothing close to what I expected. Around 16-17 mpg. I live in Germany and drive somewhat faster than I might in the U.S. but I'm still no speed demon. The stereo gets caught in some sort of computer glitch when I start the car about 50% of the time. If I turn it off and remove the key it usually resets and works fine. Overall, I really like the car. It just needs the bugs worked out.

A Quick & Comfortable Ride!
By MTRETTEL on 12/22/04 23:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

It was not that hard to convince my corvette driving husband that may want to drive my new S40 T5 . Although he enjoyed the comfort of our old SAAB 9- 5, the S40 gained his respect after driving it for a week in the Florida Keys. Plenty of room in back for our two black labs too!

Just Buy It
By Ron on 12/21/04 22:06 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

When I 1st saw the S40 in the LA auto show Jan 2003 I knew I was going to buy one. Picked it over my other want cars. RX8 too gas guzzler, BMW 3 series too common now, Audi A4 less power for more money, and Mini Coop selling more than invoice. If the S Coop was around 18K I would buy that instead. The T5 6 spd manual is perfect. It's got power when you need it yet it can get 33 MPG going up the mountains through the grape vine at 70 mph no traffic drive in cold morning air. High torque at low rpms making it easy to beat the young car aftermarket ad on enthusiasts. Quiet drive as if you're not even trying to speed up. Handling is great but car feels stiff or choppy at freeways.

Love, love love!
By Kate on 12/19/04 09:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought this puppy! Love it. However, I feel the ride is a little bumpy. Maybe after the shocks loosen up a bit... Very nice to drive with user friendly dash

new car
By kjohnson on 12/19/04 01:58 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Fantastic car. I love it.

Volvo S40 T5 Fwd
By Impressed on 12/15/04 18:45 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow, what a nice car. I had never owned a Volvo and was always turned off by their square body styling, that was until I saw the new 2005 S40. Volvo has definitely done a great job improving their body styles. I was originally interested in the BMW 325i. I figured I would at least give the competitors a try, so I test drove the Audi A4, Mercedes C230, and Acura TSX. I came across the S40 while doing some research on Edmunds. The ratings were good and the price looked even better. I went for a test drive and I was sold. In my opinion, the S40 T5 blew the others out of the water. I have been driving the car in the city and getting an impressive 27 mpg. I hope this continues after the break in.

Volvo interior is a modern dream!!!
By OverseaVolvoDeliver on 12/15/04 18:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After picking up the Volvo S40 T5 2005 in Sweden and driving it around Sweden all the way to Italy and now all around the State of Texas - the performance of the T5 will knock you back in your seat and the 0-60 and 0- 100 is great (Gotta love the "AUTO BAHNNNNNNNNNN").

Happy
By Samantha Schmoeger on 12/15/04 16:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with the S40. Fun to drive. Comfortable, simple and spacious. It's very sporty and suave.

Quiet Rocket
By Ron on 12/12/04 23:56 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I first saw the 2004 Volvo S40 T5 at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January 2003 and I instantly fell in love with it. Having three cars already, I planned to buy a new one at the end of 2004 and I did. I was also considering the Audi A4, Mazda RX8, Mini Cooper, BMW 3-Series and the Volvo S40 T5. The A4 did not have enough mid-range torque. The RX8 guzzled too much gasoline. My neighbor already has two BMWs andthe Mini was going for more than list price! So I got the Volvo. This car's Acceleration is impressive as you quietly leave the loud pocket rockets the kids drive in the dust. Its pick-up is calm and smooth, if you lose on a standing start to a souped up car, you'll appear as if you weren't trying to race anyway. Its handling is responsive with the modified suspension & not choppy at all.