2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Better than before...
By Airborne on 02/09/05 20:39 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I'm a high school senior, and I bought a 2003 Volvo S40 in May of 2003. I fell in love with it, it was fast and agile. But over time it started to rattle alot, and despite the dealers efforts, it always came back. So that led me to look for a new car. I stoped by the dealer to see what they'd give me for my old S40 when I saw the new one. I test drove a 2.4i with the Premium and Sport package and settled on a Silver 2.4i w/ Black leather interior and the Premium package. Best buy I ever made. It's a night and day difference between the old one. This is quiet, fast, the sound system is unbeleiveable and even safer than before. I got a discount for being a returing customer and it was worth it.

WAY more bang for the buck...
By Brian on 02/07/05 13:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I use this primarily as an "airport" car so I wasn't looking to make an emotional purchase. I wanted a dependable, well-made, safe sedan that offered a warranty at least as long as my 48-month lease. I got a lot more than I bargained for with the S40 It's very rewarding to drive-- solid, smooth, and responsive enough with the 5 speed manual to have plenty of freeway acceleration. This car feels like it could be driven over 100MPH all day long without breaking a sweat. Fantastic interior with a very smart center control console. So much more car for the money than the Camry, Mazda 6, and Honda Civic I shopped it against. Would recommend to anyone. Great car, period!

Volvo S40 T5 Revoew
By Jim Loukides on 02/04/05 13:25 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Since purchasing this car, 2 months ago, it has been back to the dealership 6 for repairs on the radio. I purchased the upgraded stereo, which obviously was a mistake as it never works. When trying to change a station on the radio, after the car has been restarted, the sounds dies and the radio "locks-up". The only way to "un- lock" the radio is by shutting the car off and restarting. Volvo Corp. has been very unresponsive in my concerns about this issue. I will think twice before EVER purchasing another Volvo.

Unexpected Surprises
By Jesus Levy on 01/24/05 18:32 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great compact sports sedan, totally packed with luxurious features that makes this car a pleasant and unexpected surprise for the new driver. Nimble and precise handling, great maneuverability, awesome power and throttle response and fun to drive. Volvo has got it right this time. Not only the car excells on all safety and security features, but the box design is gone forever!! Now that's what I call thinking out of the box. The new design and platform are superb. Brakes stop on a dime. Cornering is quite sporty and inspires a safe feeling all the time. Traction control is unobtrusive, so you can also have a fun ride whatever the highway demands. Just avoid harsh terrains.

Tellin' All: A Female Perspective
By BPH on 01/21/05 23:21 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I test drove, researched and admired the T5 months before the big purchase. A4 came close in handling and comfort and the Saab 9-3 in speed and safety. What kept drawing me back? The car has an amazing stereo system with and without the upgrade, is fabulous in all weather conditions, received 5 stars in side-impact crash testing and did I mention how fast it is? I went with the 6 speed, which took a bit getting used to BUT it was worth it! I definitely recommend the sport package, for it gives the S40 a unique and sleek appearance. You might ask yourself .. is everyone really staring at me? The answer is YES! This car is definitely a great bang for the buck.

Sensible Sports car
By mountain driver on 01/21/05 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car! It handles the mountain canyon roads with assurance and enough power to make it fun. As soon to be empty nesters, I was looking to downsize from my Suburban but still have a safe car and it had to be fun. We had Volvos a long time ago but they were nothing like this car. We also drove BMW Z- not for year round. Audi TT Coupe- no sunroof! Honda Accord 6cyl MT6 speed Coupe- also great car, fun but everyone has a Honda. We plan to do some autocross this spring.

Couldn't get any better
By Cecilia on 01/17/05 07:48 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Never been more enamored by a vehicle.

Love this car!!!
By JBuck387 on 01/08/05 13:56 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow, I love this car, I got mine in September. I have one with the navigation system which is an awesome feature. I love the premium audio system. This car always makes ppl turn their head. I test drove a BWM 325i, and also the Nissian 350Z, and I simply fell in love with the Volvo. We have owned several Volvo's, however I have never liked one like I do the new S40

Perfect Fun/Commuting Car
By Rickster on 12/28/04 14:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The family car is a station wagon but I get to play every day by commuting in the T5. Exciting handling and acceleration, beautiful and unique interior, and a mind-blowing sound system (I have the upgrade Dolby Prologic II Audio package). Back seat works fine for taking the kids here and there, but wouldn't be a great family car generally (that's what wagons and minivans are for). But who cares since I am alone or with 1 passenger 95% of the time, and it's mine, mine, mine. ;-) And oh yeah, it's a Volvo so it couldn't be any safer.

Chose S40 over TSX
By Dewey Kinchen on 12/26/04 00:20 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I work for an Acura & Volvo dealership and was torn between the 05 Volvo S40 and the Acura TSX. Both have great styling. Volvo has a modern stylish interior, while the TSX has the more "Luxurious" interior. While the fit and finish of the Acura was tempting, it was the handling of the S40 that won me over. I purchased a black one with premium package and sport package. I am VERY VERY happy with my decision. Plus, with factory paid maintenance for 30,000 miles, how could I go wrong. Heck, I just have to put gas in the thing for the next 2 years.