Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Volvo comes up with the times.
By Nick

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was in the market for a good reliable family car, and I found it! This is a very fun car to drive (with manual tranny), room enough for 4 adults, or 2 adults and 2 kids, excellent gas mileage, and the Volvo reliablility.

Finally a Volvo with some style!

My Volvo!
By Brian

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Volvo used with 3k miles on it and have driven it all over Europe, I have yet to have any problems. The only thing I could possibly complain about is the lack of factory tint on my windows. Also if you have something heavy (15 lbs) or more sitting in the passenger seat it will sound a bell and there is a flashing seatbelt sign. If you can call that a bad thing. And the last one is the lack of after market sterios made to utilize the new dash/radio in the S40.

Over all handeling and the WOW factor.

none really,

I highly recommend this car
By Dave from Chicago

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't say enough good things about the Volvo S40 T5. The vehicle is sporty and refined, delivering nimble handling and peppy acceleration in a sleek and comfortable package. The interior design is as intuitive as it is impressive, with great looks, excellent control placement, and firm yet comfortable seats. The trunk size is also fantastic for its class. For its performance, the fuel economy is exceptional. I regularly get better than 35 mpg on true highway speeds, and I typically average around 25 mpg in the city. City dwellers will particularly enjoy the size of the vehicle, which makes finding parking spaces easy while providing ample interior space.

Performance, styling, overall quality and utility of design.

The only drawback of this car is no stock iPod input, although aftermarket products are on the way. I currently use an FM transmitter for my iPod and/or laptop.

The Perfect Car for Me, Recommend It !!
By mattkorey

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This was exactly what I wanted and after having it for 10 months I just love it. And the European delivery program is unbeatable. A free trip to Europe basically and a discount on the car. You keep looking for the catch and there isn't one. I'm now a member of the cult of Volvo it appears. The car has a lot of get up and go and the body style is great looking. Love the black/black leather that I selected, looks so sharp. The interior is really cool as well, the console is very unique, as is the car overall. It's nice not seeing your car everywhere you look. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Body style, interior console and comfort of the seats.

Standard GPS system would be nice, as would a built Ipod adaptor allowing it to play through the car radio.

Great Car
By David Beardsley

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

When I began test driving cars, I really hadn't given Volvo any thought. In Portland, Volvo means the big boxy station wagons you see all over SE. The S40 came up on some comparable vehicles lists and on a whim I test drove the T5. After that everything else I drove seemed like a cheap garbage. The car is very smooth and quite, has a great interior, and I love the body style. You won't be racing Mustangs off the line but on the highway passing is great fun. I'm 6', 200lbs, which I don't consider that big, but the S40 was one of few cars I felt like I fit into. Only wish I could've afforded the AWD. :)

Intelligent design, quality interior materials, great ergonomics, comfortable seats, styling, powerful engine. Premium stereo is great too. I've had people ask me if we were listening to a live album because of the sound. Heated seats are nice too.

Trunk can be remotely locked, but doesn't pop open?! Cup holders are inconvenient with manual transmission. Stereo needs MP3 support. Rain sensor doesn't quite work right. Heat is slow to warm up on cold days. Better MPG would be a plus, but it's a relatively big engine.