2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Wow!
By Dave on 03/22/05 21:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

What a great car! I chose this car over the Subaru Legacy as I wanted an AWD vehicle. This car has plenty of power and feels very sporty. I love the exterior styling and the Volvo emphasis on safety. You will not be disappointed with this car at all. I chose the Leather, convenience package, Climate Package, Bi-Xenon headlights and 17" wheels. The seats are very comfortable even after having spent 3 hours in the car today. The only negative is the rear visibility. It is a bit smaller than what I am used to. With Volvo offering $1,850 cash back on the T5 model, it was an easy choice.

Great Car
By Ted Feldman on 03/18/05 00:22 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

So happy I purchased the S40. It is fun to drive, great style and performance. I am actually getting the gas mileage that was posted on the window - 21-30.

Classic and Sporty Car
By Anjali on 03/14/05 11:47 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

S40 is simply fantastic. Very classy and yet very sporty. The newly re- designed 2005 model looks much better than the 2004. The 2.4i has 168 HP, which is enough to leave behind many cars at intersections. Brakes are excellent. The ride is very comfortable and smooth. The seats have lumbar support which is great. Overall, a very sturdy car which looks great on the outside and beautiful on the inside. Steering is not as easy as the Infinity or some of the more expensive cars but the manual says it gives you controlled back which is the perfect term to use. You'll get used to the steering and like it. The 2005 model feels a little better than the 2004 model. A great buy...worth very penny!

Best car I've owned!!!
By Irvine on 03/14/05 11:46 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After over 3 years of test driving new cars (yes, I realize that's a bit much) I finally decided on the new S40. I drove the Acura TL (it gave me whiplash between every gear in the AUTOMATIC!), Infiniti G35 (performed well, but looks like plastic on the inside), Nissan Mazima (cornered like the car was on stilts), Honda Accord (GREAT car, but not as classy as I wanted), and many many more. Out of all these, the Volvo had the best performance, and best interior/exterior design, without giving into the BMW's poor reputation for reliability. I'm focused on reliability and quality while still getting soemthing I ENJOY driving. I've had the Volvo S40 for 6 months and no signs of problems.

Excellent Value
By chaz on 03/10/05 11:41 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is our first Volvo and so far I,m very impressed, The styling, both interior and exterior is very eye catching. The safety features are second to none and while the performance of the 2.4I is nothing special it does offer adequate power and above average ride and handling. I highly recommend the heated leather seats as well as the sport package which includes 17" alloy wheels. The base single CD player is more than adequate. On the downside the interior is a little cramped for me,(602,200lbs)and the back seat would be very tight for adults. Also, our standard sized booster seats did not fit in the back seats. Volvo does offer as an accessorie a booster cushion/ backrest.

The World of Volvo
By Excellent Car on 03/03/05 23:37 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Wow! This car is awesome. Stylish, solid, safe & sound - welcome to the world of Volvo What more can ask of an entry-level luxury sport sedan. I feel really smart driving this car and even smarter when I spend less than $25K for it (w/automatic and gnarly standard features, and season ski pass & lift for 2 to Vail & Heavenly). It priced much less than the Audi A4 or BMW 325 and WOW it's a better car in everyway.

Great car for value!
By CBell on 03/03/05 08:40 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This Volvo definitely has an appealing design both on the outside and the inside. The engine is fun to drive and the car handles well in a sport driving mode due to its compact size. The fuel consumption is a bit more than what I expected for a small engine and the finishing could be better (noise isolation). Overall, this car gives great driving pleasure and has a certain class for a price which remains very affordable compared to other Euro imports in the same category.

starting problem
By barry on 03/01/05 12:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

i have a 2005 s40 s.41 base model with 5 speed. i have 2300 miles on it and it has been back to the shop twice so far. both times it wouldn't start and had to be towed. the 1st time they replaced the starter relay switch. now they say it's the battery. anyone else have this problem or know what the problem really is? or do i just have a lemon

Nothing more than problems.
By Carlos on 02/28/05 17:34 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

In the first 24 hour, the car had to be towed back to the dealer. Problems with the car's software. Two months afterwards, problesm with the key, could not start the car. Terrible service, no one is responsible for the car. Not the dealer, nor Volvo, nor Ford. If I could sell it right away, I would. The car is now parked in the dealer station. Complaining for about two moths with local authorities. No commitment at all.

Awesome car to drive and looks great
By Steves36 on 02/22/05 19:11 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We bought this the last month and just love it. We opted for all options and used Edmunds for the quote... Wow what a nice feeling buying a car without hassle. The car drives like a champ with the sport package, makes great turns and has good pickup. Back seats are OK, but could be a little bigger but my wife still car pools with 3 people. The warranty can't be beat and to include all routine stuff is great compaired to what we got with my car (Ford). If I had to do it all over again I would without thinking. It's an awesome car at an awesome price