Used 2005 Volvo S40 T5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Fun car. Buggy with age.
By cygnuspix

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have my '05 T5 (FWD) since day one - just a hair over 9 years now (and is an auto transmission, but somehow not an option here). I still love getting in to it twice a day for a 30 mile commute. The fuel economy is tough to beat, averaging 32MPG. However, it is fussy and likes to be babied to avoid issues. My fuel pressure sensor failed, causing tremendous ride issues, but no error code was generated, therefore the dealer threw up their hands at the issue, and wanted $450 parts/labor to replace it. The part is $50 on Amazon.com, and takes 1 hour to install. If you feel the car lose power or otherwise ride rough, look into changing this sensor!

Favorite Features

Peppy turbo engine. Smooth, quiet ride. Sporty handling. Small turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Some exterior trim does not do well under harsh sun/heat exposure. Common faults are lower-control arm bushings ($$$), sway bar bushings ($$), PEM sensor failure (quiet warranty), fuel-pressure sensor failur ($ DYI, $$$ dealer).

2005 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Great and fun car!
By khyelton

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I just turned 16 and my parents bought me this car for my first car. I have had it almost a year now, and it has almost 100,000 miles on it and it is just as great as the day I drove it off the lot. It handle's great on country roads, and even better on interstate's which is where I usually drive. It gets a combined average 25 MPG. I use 93 octane (premium) fuel and it seems to get better gas milage. I haven't had any problems out of this car! It has been a great car, and look forward to driving it for another 10 years. Just had an oil chage, new brakes, tires, and detailed, and it is good as new! I have never had any trouble out of this car! It's an amazing car!

Favorite Features

Stylish car, comfortable, fast, turns heads! It's an unusual car, not something that everyone has like a Honda or Ford. Heated seats are great and I love the mesh storage space along the front seats. The memory seats are great, since other people drive my car, my seat always goes back to where I left it. Radio is stylish and the controls are easy to use. Xenon headlights make it look like day time at night, and the bright beams are amazing! The low profile antenna for the radio oh the roof is nice too. I love everything about this car! Low maintenance, and the people at the Volvo dealership are professional and kind.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would suggest is rear AC/Heat, and a way to connect an iPod. The FM transmitter for the iPod is full of static. But nothing mechanically I would suggest to change.

Stylish, yet glitchy, Euro sport sedan
By Steve

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Still like the car 5 years later but looking forward to my next and it won't be another Volvo. Here's a sample of the issues I've had since purchase: key fob doesn't work (I'm on my 4th replacement), car towed 4 times because engine immobilizer won't disengage, lights fell out of side mirrors, radio replaced, heated seats replaced, driver window assembly broke, front woofers replaced, clock doesn't keep time, driver seatbelt won't release when pulled, passenger airbag disables when a passenger is in seat, etc. 2 really annoying attributes: blind spots galore & wheels can not be rotated. Car wobbles at highway speed and no amount of balancing works. Took 2 sets of tires to figure out problem

Favorite Features

Exterior styling and stance, fuel efficiency, turbo, cheapest insurance of all in same class, ingenuity (seat fold down configurations, center console, etc).

Suggested Improvements

All electronics need major revamp, use a key like Audi/VW, leather quality is poor, move gas door release from between fog lamp buttons, better rear visibility, reduce premium gas requirement to middle grade for turbo, more rear legroom and, most importantly, MAKE HEADLIGHT BEAMS ADJUSTABLE!!

Love it! But?
By thetruth

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Love my car it is a sexy fun car. I have the 6 sp manual and it is a straight rocket! One thing never, never, never, go to the dealer for service or problems. Volvo dealers are scam artists! I have a local mechanic who does all my maintenance and does better work for a 5th of the cost. He saved me when there was a recall on the pvc air box. My air box blew before the recall and when that blows your timing belt gets oil on it, when that happens the timing belt goes bad fast. Well he recommended I change it and probably saved me 4000. I've heard people who went the the dealer and didn't get the good advice and had to pay 4000 once it broke. When it could have been prevented.

Favorite Features

love the turbo. when cruising at 70 just touch the gas and the turbo kicks in and don't blink because that is how fast you will be doing 100! sweet!

Suggested Improvements

i pod hook up. and the rear doors only open about 75 degrees. hard to get babies in and out.

A lot of car for the money
By KateM

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our Volvo S40 T5 FWD new back in October 2004 have had very good luck with it. The 218 HP turbo engine is phenomenal. If you're seeking an adrenaline rush every time you hit the gas pedal, go for the T5 versus the ho-hum 2.4i. Handling is tight with almost no body lean. Highway ramps are a blast. Steering feedback is just right. However, even with TLC, the leather has not worn well at all. The seats are thinner and harder than those in the older S40 model. There is virtually no way to add an iPod adapter, and the ride is harsh. I agree with another owner's post that the heated seats do not get warm enough. In my particular S40's case, maintenance has not been an issue

Favorite Features

Performance/handling, fuel economy (25 mpg overall), styling, capable all-weather handling (esp. in snow) automatic climate system works well, lots of programmable features, optional rain sensor is terrific. Finally, the seat can be raised high enough for a shorter driver like myself.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of iPod adapter/satellite radio (or an easy way to add them), limited trunk space, low-grade leather, choppy ride -- even without the 17" wheels/Sport suspension package.