2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Fun car. Buggy with age.
By cygnuspix on 05/30/14 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have my '05 T5 (FWD) since day one - just a hair over 9 years now (and is an auto transmission, but somehow not an option here). I still love getting in to it twice a day for a 30 mile commute. The fuel economy is tough to beat, averaging 32MPG. However, it is fussy and likes to be babied to avoid issues. My fuel pressure sensor failed, causing tremendous ride issues, but no error code was generated, therefore the dealer threw up their hands at the issue, and wanted $450 parts/labor to replace it. The part is $50 on Amazon.com, and takes 1 hour to install. If you feel the car lose power or otherwise ride rough, look into changing this sensor!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Great and fun car!
By khyelton on 03/03/11 09:05 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I just turned 16 and my parents bought me this car for my first car. I have had it almost a year now, and it has almost 100,000 miles on it and it is just as great as the day I drove it off the lot. It handle's great on country roads, and even better on interstate's which is where I usually drive. It gets a combined average 25 MPG. I use 93 octane (premium) fuel and it seems to get better gas milage. I haven't had any problems out of this car! It has been a great car, and look forward to driving it for another 10 years. Just had an oil chage, new brakes, tires, and detailed, and it is good as new! I have never had any trouble out of this car! It's an amazing car!

Stylish, yet glitchy, Euro sport sedan
By Steve on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Still like the car 5 years later but looking forward to my next and it won't be another Volvo. Here's a sample of the issues I've had since purchase: key fob doesn't work (I'm on my 4th replacement), car towed 4 times because engine immobilizer won't disengage, lights fell out of side mirrors, radio replaced, heated seats replaced, driver window assembly broke, front woofers replaced, clock doesn't keep time, driver seatbelt won't release when pulled, passenger airbag disables when a passenger is in seat, etc. 2 really annoying attributes: blind spots galore & wheels can not be rotated. Car wobbles at highway speed and no amount of balancing works. Took 2 sets of tires to figure out problem

Love it! But?
By thetruth on 07/23/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Love my car it is a sexy fun car. I have the 6 sp manual and it is a straight rocket! One thing never, never, never, go to the dealer for service or problems. Volvo dealers are scam artists! I have a local mechanic who does all my maintenance and does better work for a 5th of the cost. He saved me when there was a recall on the pvc air box. My air box blew before the recall and when that blows your timing belt gets oil on it, when that happens the timing belt goes bad fast. Well he recommended I change it and probably saved me 4000. I've heard people who went the the dealer and didn't get the good advice and had to pay 4000 once it broke. When it could have been prevented.

A lot of car for the money
By KateM on 12/18/09 18:50 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our Volvo S40 T5 FWD new back in October 2004 have had very good luck with it. The 218 HP turbo engine is phenomenal. If you're seeking an adrenaline rush every time you hit the gas pedal, go for the T5 versus the ho-hum 2.4i. Handling is tight with almost no body lean. Highway ramps are a blast. Steering feedback is just right. However, even with TLC, the leather has not worn well at all. The seats are thinner and harder than those in the older S40 model. There is virtually no way to add an iPod adapter, and the ride is harsh. I agree with another owner's post that the heated seats do not get warm enough. In my particular S40's case, maintenance has not been an issue

4yrs and still very happy
By Grega on 10/04/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I would say it’s a car that has a lot of character. I was looking for a car not so typical, that would stay up to date for many years. It’s different from the purposeless styles of a lot of GMS, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Acuras, and Lexus types I’m tired of seeing on the road. Still fun to drive and with a quality feel to it at a reasonable price. It’s been 4 years and I still enjoy driving this car very much. I did have a few recalls and software glitches in the first year I bought it, nothing serious, but so far it has been quite reliable since. Pleasant Volvo dealer, although expensive outside of warranty, acts really professionally for the most part.

Volvo blew enginge turbo at 54 k
By glenn on 08/24/09 07:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My engine blew up when the turbo/intercooler literally blew up dumping all oil and coolant out without warning at 54k miles. I am sick. Volvo says tough luck.

DECK ERROR
By Darrell on 07/06/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The cd player should be recalled but it would cost Volvo too much to repair them all. For me - $720, not counting labor. I can get one from Best Buy for half that installed. Very disappointing - I thought Volvo would stand by their product but, instead, they hand you a bill. I'm going to try Audi or Mercedes when I purchase my next car.

Great at first, all down hill
By Tony on 12/03/08 20:54 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

When I purchased it it was great and reliable. Since then I've had the radio glitch which is very annoying. I've had the A/C repaired it stopped blowing cold air. I'm a 200 Lb. guy and the back of my seat where the lumbar support is snapped. I have the dynamic trim package which as the sport suspension not a very comfortable ride when you hit bumps in the road. I've had lowered cars ride more comfortable than this. My power door locks don't lock from the remote anymore. Now after almost 5 years I'm about to sell this car it was a good car but I wouldn't buy another Volvo.

Couldn't be happier
By Thor's Owner on 03/05/08 08:43 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We named our Swedish beauty Thor, and we honestly couldn't be happier with the performance, sexiness, drive, reliability, and overall feel of the car. On the freeway, cruise control is the only way to go if you want to avoid getting a speeding ticket. The car just itches to go fast. Fuel economy could be better, but what do you expect with such a powerful engine? Three years of driving this car and we are still deeply in love.