Used 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

LOVE this car!
By volvodrvr2

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car used a year and a half ago and after much debate while searching for a car, I am still 100% in love with my S40. The "high" maintenance bills (it did need the timing belt replaced for being over 100k - $700) and "Volvo" stigma were intimidating at first, but now that I've had the car I know it was still a solid choice. It's got all the features I wanted, gets good gas mileage and is a great looking car. 30k on it in my year and a half of ownership (now 135k) and it still runs like a champ!

The look of the car is great - especially for being almost ten years old. The leather interior, sunroof, one-touch windows and five-speed transmission are the best things about this car. The car has little quirks that make it awesome - holding the "unlock" button on the key remote puts all four windows down - great for airing the car out before getting in when it's a hot day. The climate controls are easy to use and the AC works great and defrosts windows in no time (literally seconds).

My biggest gripe is the cup holders, which do not hold small containers very well and can tip over if you don't hold them while going into a turn (I learned my lesson after drinks spilling twice). This car is on the smaller side, which is nice for parking but can affect passengers (backseat mainly). The trunk is not as large as some, which is only an issue if you frequently haul large items. Even with 5 cylinders, I've noticed the acceleration isn't fantastic. Even with the pedal to the floor it has its limits but this isn't a big deal for me.

Worst car I've ever owned
By sgtcheesenols

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned a Mitsubishi and 2 Hyundais in my lifetime, and taken all of them beyond 100K miles. They all had minimal issues, and 2 of them are still running with their new owners. At 50K miles, this Volvo began having a myriad of issues. I spent over $6K fixing it, and finally gave up. I had to replace the Dashboard A/C vents, the A/C compressor, the ceiling carpet, the brakes, both engine mounts, among other things. I finally gave up! The quality and reliability of this vehicle is horrible enough to make me never want to buy a Volvo again. Buyer beware if you plan

Has a sporty feel, fast acceleration, and feels like a sports car. I like the safety features with the vehicle, and the bucket style seats.

I would recommend burning all the S40s in the world so no one else has to endure what I did.

Wow
By Rickie

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Just an FYI to everyone with a volvo! I drove my 2005 S40 for 62 miles with the gas light on last night and it did not sputter once!

Expensive to fix
By Carrie

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love how this car drives, and that it feels safe. However, just like the other reviews I have had several issues with this car. Several recalls, after 3 years the A/C broke and will cost an astronomical amount to fix. It blows hot air in summer, but it doesn't need a recharge. Engine blew at 88K, since it was past its warranty Volvo said too bad. It was their fault as they missed the oil leak that wore out the timing belt and thus broke the pistons in the engine. Word to the wise, save all of your maintenance records if you buy this car, as Volvo will surely look at it if you try to dispute a malfunction and they keep horrible records. Good Luck if you buy this one!

50 50 s40i
By abqdn

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Good car but have had fuel pump problems twice in less than a year.

Fuel pump that works.