2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Worst car I've ever owned
By sgtcheesenols on 10/04/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned a Mitsubishi and 2 Hyundais in my lifetime, and taken all of them beyond 100K miles. They all had minimal issues, and 2 of them are still running with their new owners. At 50K miles, this Volvo began having a myriad of issues. I spent over $6K fixing it, and finally gave up. I had to replace the Dashboard A/C vents, the A/C compressor, the ceiling carpet, the brakes, both engine mounts, among other things. I finally gave up! The quality and reliability of this vehicle is horrible enough to make me never want to buy a Volvo again. Buyer beware if you plan

Wow
By Rickie on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Just an FYI to everyone with a volvo! I drove my 2005 S40 for 62 miles with the gas light on last night and it did not sputter once!

Expensive to fix
By Carrie on 06/06/10 11:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love how this car drives, and that it feels safe. However, just like the other reviews I have had several issues with this car. Several recalls, after 3 years the A/C broke and will cost an astronomical amount to fix. It blows hot air in summer, but it doesn't need a recharge. Engine blew at 88K, since it was past its warranty Volvo said too bad. It was their fault as they missed the oil leak that wore out the timing belt and thus broke the pistons in the engine. Word to the wise, save all of your maintenance records if you buy this car, as Volvo will surely look at it if you try to dispute a malfunction and they keep horrible records. Good Luck if you buy this one!

50 50 s40i
By abqdn on 05/15/10 16:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Good car but have had fuel pump problems twice in less than a year.

Nice Styling and Good Value
By Scott on 04/21/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2.4i with the sport package in south Florida and found it loads of fun to drive. Handles very well in the curves and the 2.4 litre engine is peppy enough for everyday traffic. I since moved to upstate NY and it does great on the country roads, but snows are a MUST as the traction control constantly slips in winter. I now have 90k miles on it and have had a couple of major problems, at 55k miles the radiator blew. Thank goodness for the extended warranty, or could have been $1500! Interior design is stylish, but cheep materials. Trim clips continually break (in trunk too) and stupid expensive to replace.

safe
By ANGELO on 10/25/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

hard down-shift from 3rd to 2nd automatic. expensive maintenance

Interior Engine Damage = $3-4,000
By Floridanita on 06/14/09 02:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my car. Except the air conditioner went out after about 3 years and just now on my way to work, my car just quit. I found out there is interior engine damage and will cost thousands to fix plus the 1,000 to fix the a/c. It is not the cost of the Volvo - it is the maintenance and upkeep - windshield wipers are $80 for example.

Watch out after warranty.
By Mixed Feelings on 02/06/09 10:31 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a demo with 6000 miles. Just after the warranty ran out I had to replace the oil filter assembly. Then I had to replace the sensor that controls the valve timing. Total cost: over $1000. Software is buggy after many "upgrades" under warranty. Clock resets itself. Stereo will refuse to play, but will come back on its own the next day. Bad idea to mix the entertaiment system with the car computer. No way to add aftermarket gear - such as an iPod (use FM they say - doesn't really work well at all). Advice? Buy a Honda.

TERRIBLE CAR
By Say no to Volvo on 02/02/09 09:57 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. AC switches on/off and turns to heat in the middle of summer. You cannot even change the battery without having to tow it to the dealership and have them reset the computer. Now the starter is dead. I will never, ever buy a Volvo again. Stick with Honda (I had a Honda before this car). Volvo S40's don't hold their resale, either.

No more Volvos for me
By Lucas Tam on 12/29/08 08:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first and last Volvo ever. Since I bought the car in 2005, it's been in the shop over 16 times for a variety of reasons: air bag malfunction, climate control issues, circuit boards frying, battery failures, remote not working, steering failure, etc. In fact, the car has been towed to the dealership 2 times since 2005! (And this was a brand new car). Never again am I going to buy an S40... and never again a Volvo!