2005 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Fun car. Buggy with age.
By cygnuspix on 05/30/14 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have my '05 T5 (FWD) since day one - just a hair over 9 years now (and is an auto transmission, but somehow not an option here). I still love getting in to it twice a day for a 30 mile commute. The fuel economy is tough to beat, averaging 32MPG. However, it is fussy and likes to be babied to avoid issues. My fuel pressure sensor failed, causing tremendous ride issues, but no error code was generated, therefore the dealer threw up their hands at the issue, and wanted $450 parts/labor to replace it. The part is $50 on Amazon.com, and takes 1 hour to install. If you feel the car lose power or otherwise ride rough, look into changing this sensor!

Worst car I've ever owned
By sgtcheesenols on 10/04/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned a Mitsubishi and 2 Hyundais in my lifetime, and taken all of them beyond 100K miles. They all had minimal issues, and 2 of them are still running with their new owners. At 50K miles, this Volvo began having a myriad of issues. I spent over $6K fixing it, and finally gave up. I had to replace the Dashboard A/C vents, the A/C compressor, the ceiling carpet, the brakes, both engine mounts, among other things. I finally gave up! The quality and reliability of this vehicle is horrible enough to make me never want to buy a Volvo again. Buyer beware if you plan

2005 Volvo S40 T5 FWD Great and fun car!
By khyelton on 03/03/11 09:05 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I just turned 16 and my parents bought me this car for my first car. I have had it almost a year now, and it has almost 100,000 miles on it and it is just as great as the day I drove it off the lot. It handle's great on country roads, and even better on interstate's which is where I usually drive. It gets a combined average 25 MPG. I use 93 octane (premium) fuel and it seems to get better gas milage. I haven't had any problems out of this car! It has been a great car, and look forward to driving it for another 10 years. Just had an oil chage, new brakes, tires, and detailed, and it is good as new! I have never had any trouble out of this car! It's an amazing car!

Wow
By Rickie on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Just an FYI to everyone with a volvo! I drove my 2005 S40 for 62 miles with the gas light on last night and it did not sputter once!

Stylish, yet glitchy, Euro sport sedan
By Steve on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Still like the car 5 years later but looking forward to my next and it won't be another Volvo. Here's a sample of the issues I've had since purchase: key fob doesn't work (I'm on my 4th replacement), car towed 4 times because engine immobilizer won't disengage, lights fell out of side mirrors, radio replaced, heated seats replaced, driver window assembly broke, front woofers replaced, clock doesn't keep time, driver seatbelt won't release when pulled, passenger airbag disables when a passenger is in seat, etc. 2 really annoying attributes: blind spots galore & wheels can not be rotated. Car wobbles at highway speed and no amount of balancing works. Took 2 sets of tires to figure out problem

Love it! But?
By thetruth on 07/23/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Love my car it is a sexy fun car. I have the 6 sp manual and it is a straight rocket! One thing never, never, never, go to the dealer for service or problems. Volvo dealers are scam artists! I have a local mechanic who does all my maintenance and does better work for a 5th of the cost. He saved me when there was a recall on the pvc air box. My air box blew before the recall and when that blows your timing belt gets oil on it, when that happens the timing belt goes bad fast. Well he recommended I change it and probably saved me 4000. I've heard people who went the the dealer and didn't get the good advice and had to pay 4000 once it broke. When it could have been prevented.

Expensive to fix
By Carrie on 06/06/10 11:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love how this car drives, and that it feels safe. However, just like the other reviews I have had several issues with this car. Several recalls, after 3 years the A/C broke and will cost an astronomical amount to fix. It blows hot air in summer, but it doesn't need a recharge. Engine blew at 88K, since it was past its warranty Volvo said too bad. It was their fault as they missed the oil leak that wore out the timing belt and thus broke the pistons in the engine. Word to the wise, save all of your maintenance records if you buy this car, as Volvo will surely look at it if you try to dispute a malfunction and they keep horrible records. Good Luck if you buy this one!

50 50 s40i
By abqdn on 05/15/10 16:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Good car but have had fuel pump problems twice in less than a year.

Nice Styling and Good Value
By Scott on 04/21/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2.4i with the sport package in south Florida and found it loads of fun to drive. Handles very well in the curves and the 2.4 litre engine is peppy enough for everyday traffic. I since moved to upstate NY and it does great on the country roads, but snows are a MUST as the traction control constantly slips in winter. I now have 90k miles on it and have had a couple of major problems, at 55k miles the radiator blew. Thank goodness for the extended warranty, or could have been $1500! Interior design is stylish, but cheep materials. Trim clips continually break (in trunk too) and stupid expensive to replace.

A lot of car for the money
By KateM on 12/18/09 18:50 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our Volvo S40 T5 FWD new back in October 2004 have had very good luck with it. The 218 HP turbo engine is phenomenal. If you're seeking an adrenaline rush every time you hit the gas pedal, go for the T5 versus the ho-hum 2.4i. Handling is tight with almost no body lean. Highway ramps are a blast. Steering feedback is just right. However, even with TLC, the leather has not worn well at all. The seats are thinner and harder than those in the older S40 model. There is virtually no way to add an iPod adapter, and the ride is harsh. I agree with another owner's post that the heated seats do not get warm enough. In my particular S40's case, maintenance has not been an issue