Used 2005 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

05 s40 is a money pit
By CB

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Ive had a slew of issues and high cost repairs on this car. From struts, to transmission issues, gear module, etc. Every car needs service, what makes Volvo "special" is it takes a Volvo specialist to make necessary repairs and usually at high cost. A 2 yr lease is probably the way to go if you desire a Volvo, purchasing one will be a forever quest in high cost maintenance.

Great Alternative Sports Sedan!
By Dylan

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

For the past year I have been pulling my hairs out trying to determine what my next car would be. I am a car enthusiast so naturally I have a lot of favorites pulling at my heartstrings which made choosing a vehicle to replace my dependable 2005 Civic would be very difficult! I laid out the criteria I wanted: powerful engine, AWD drivetrain, compact, reliable daily driver. Sure there are some great cars that meet these like the Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO, or entry-level Audis, but the truth is I wanted to own something more unique because I like to stand out. The aforementioned competitors are a lot more common are starting to feel oversaturated in the world of car culture. Not many AWD compact sedans exist, so naturally the Volvo S40 appeared to be my only option. I went for it on a whim and ended up with a beautiful 2010 R-Design with the ever-exciting T5 engine of course! So far, I am not really disappointed. The car does everything I wanted it too and even a bit more. I'm not 100% satisfied with the way it looks as it is a dated (2004, 08 refresh) design. I don't understand why Volvo dramatically updated the C30 and C70 styling but left the S40 kind of bland for its last 3 years... However, it is still a nice looking vehicle with cute yet aggressive proportions. Interior looks amazing though! A lot of people harken it to IKEA as a joke, but they aren't too far off. The interior is sleek, modern, and beautifully simple. The materials are wonderfully rich and well put together. It feels like you're in a much more expensive car with all the great driver amenities and the excellent climate control and booming stereo system. Trunk space is a little small compared to my last car (especially the opening) but it is sufficient for hauling most things. I will say the rear seats can be kind of cramped with the front seats extended backward. The car is awesome to drive. Not quite as fast as a WRX or EVO, but has potential to run with them with a few easy modifications. The T5 engine is noisy, but in the good sort of way that it gurgles in the low RPMs to remind you how sporty it wants to be. The S40 AWD handles really good and flat and so far has proven to have some great traction on slick surfaces. The brakes feel a little bit grabby and fade under hard braking, but do the job. The seats work well to keep you comfortable, even though the car's great handling comes at a cost of being very stiff and it likes to jar itself over small bumps in the road. Overall a very impressive car so far! I have not had any issues except for the oil cooler which the previous owner damaged on a curb. It was only a $120 fix locally and I am no longer dripping oil from it.

Great Car!
By kohlv

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! I bought the car a year ago as my first car and its awesome. I've read everywhere that its amazingly safe and I don't doubt it. The car looks great inside out and I have never had any major mechanical issues with it. This car works great in the snow (at least the AWD model). If you keep up with regular maintenance and actually care for the vehicle you shouldn't run into any problems.

Turbo charged 5 cylinder is quick to respond and very fun to drive. I love the style of the interior (black with silver accents)which still looks good in 2015, or at least to me. The AWD works great in the snow especially when in winter/wet mode, I love the snow just to go out in drive in it in my Volvo. The seats are very comfy and the Dolby Digital surround sound is awesome! The space behind the radio is also cool and unique along with the odd key to the car which always seems to spark conversation when people see it. The steering wheel controls are also another great feature!

Bigger Trunk! The width of it is fine but it needs to be deeper rather than flat. The gas mileage on the highway is amazing but in mixed highway city driving isn't as great as what I thought it would be for such a small car, I assume its partly because it is AWD and because I take off very quickly. I've also wished that it had and aux input for my phone.

Ford in Disguise
By kennstarre

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is built on a ford focus platform. Driving wise it's fine other than some under-steer at high speeds. The thing consistently breaks every two months, ford quality but with foreign car repair prices. The interior literally falls apart. foam in the seats and door panels melts and disintegrates in the Texas heat. Further more the all wheel drive is pretty much worthless. it's so front wheel drive bias that it basically is front wheel drive.

They really don't have anything that makes them special. The handle well for a 2006 low budget European car but a Volkswagen is a better buy.the only thing that Volvo has seemed to stay true to is safety. these cars do hold up reasonable well in impact. But Audi and Mercedes are going to be safer.

Dont waste your time with a newer Volvo. They're going to go out of business anyway. At this point in the game I think Hyundai actually produces better cars than Volvo has the past decade.

Good car but...
By letodo

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Safety- big win here- got swiped by a Lexus LX trying to get into my lane- nothing but a tiny scratch. Rear ended by a Honda- the front bumper of the Honda was torn off but I only had a small scratch.

Performance- no, it is not a BMW 3 series but it does 80% of what the BMW does for $10,000 less (compared with same options). Ride is a bit harsh.

Reliability- flawless since I got it... until recently. Ignition switch, engine motor mount, engine speed sensor all failed at once. Parasitic draw from trunk wiring 2 months prior to that.

Running costs- expensive (more on that below)

Safety is the big draw Good value when buying Good looking, inside & out It's no BMW M3 or even a 328i, but if you want extra cash in your pocket and more options, take a look at the S40...

Watch out for running costs unless you learn to DIY. You pay for that safety. The regular stuff is more expensive, but not anything ridiculous. Now if anything breaks, get comfortable with spending several hundred dollars and don't be surprised if the final bill turns out to be $1,000+. And this is at an independent shop. My Volvo is in the shop now with a $2,000 bill waiting for me when it's ready.