2004 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: S40 Good but could be so much

2004 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

2.4i Sedan (2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

S40 Good but could be so much better...
By btp on

2004 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have driven the car on long trips as well as used it as a commuter and the driver comfort is excellent as are the interior features. My S40 is the 5spd manual non-T5 yet I LOVE the responsiveness and handling of the car in all types of weather - and the good mileage! (way better than auto-trans). I got the winter mats (a must for a New England winter) and had the dealer install - those little buttons that hold the mats in place REALLY should be fastened better. The other nag is that I get intermittent wind noise/whistle from somewhere in back. I dread the first rattle - PLEASE dont be a Ford and rattle after 30k miles! -the fuses for the 12volt were dead when I bought it...bummer.

I really like the new generation passenger airbag that disables for kids in the front seat. So much better for those long travel hockey/soccer trips! The heated seats in winter and the auto climate are very nice as is the visibility in mirrors and out windows - very small blind spot if any at all.

Fasten the buttons that hold down the floormats better. Offer upgrade to sound system for iPod controls ;<) Funny feature that sometimes when I unlock with the bulky "key" that all the windows roll down. Not great when I am trying to unlock the kids doors in the pouring rain. Cheep at lock pls.