2004 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Not sure I would buy another o

2004 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Not sure I would buy another one
By Paul on

2004 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really enjoy the way this car handles and drives. However, I have had a lot of mechanical problems. As a result, it has been in the shop more than any car I have ever owned. The transmission sometimes kicks hard when it shifts and the dealer keeps telling me this is normal. This car gets pretty bad ratings from Consumer Reports, something I wish I would have checked before buying. My warranty will run out soon and I will definitely trade it when when it does. I doubt I will buy another Volvo because of the mechanical issues. My wife's Toyota is much more reliable and more than likely I will trade my car for a Toyota when the time comes.

Power, gas mileage, handling, safety.

Interior is nice looking but the build quality is really poor. Trunk is too small and the back seat needs more room. You can't put an infant car seat in the back without sliding the passenger seat all the way forward. Also an interior trunk release is needed.