2004 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
bragging rights- great performance
By greatpurchase on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

T5 is very unique and great power
By Luis H on 04/17/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

2004 s40 t5
By laurenc8283 on 06/21/09 07:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second Volvo. And I've had so many problem with the s40, from engine problems to transmission problems... I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it and it had a bad compresser, and a blown amp.. My cd player had to be replaced... All the Major belts have had to be replaced twice.. The care also stinks on gas! I do not think this is a reliable car, and very disappointed in Volvo.. Havent had the car a year yet and im already in the process of getting a new car... Not recommended!

Great car
By Joseph Agiato on 10/09/06 01:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I think this is one of the best cars we have ever owned.

very reliable
By David on 06/23/05 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall the car is pretty safe, it has already been into 3 minor accidents and one major accident. My wife was driving the vehicle on the Autobahn but there was a stau or traffic jam, well she stopped but the car hit her from the back at 90 mph, my son and wife were not harmed at all, just headaches. If it was any other car I don't think that my family would have made it. Volvo is the best, even though your not expecting an accident. Atleast you know that Volvo is built quality.

s40 t5
By jeff50 on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

fun to drive,quick, stylish, great seats , comfortable, great sound system, lots of saftey features

Amazing Car
By jwarman on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car for about a month and a half and I love it. The performace is outstanding and easily outclasses the competition in the price range. The styling is great, it looks nothing like the Volvos of old. Also the gas milage is great given this is a high performace car. Volvo has definitely built a winner of a car and attracted a new audience.

What a ride!
By dargorilla on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I just got my new T5 two weeks ago, and I have to say that this is one serious automobile. The acceleration numbers that you read in the magazines (0-60 in 6.5 secs) just do not do this car justice, and cannot covey the feeling of doing 35mph, putting your right foot on the floor, and watching 70 come up before you can even take a breath. The ride and steering with the sport suspension feels stable even at ridiculous speeds through twisting turns. The seats are comfortable and supportive, and the interior is stylish, and inviting. This is the perfect car for those of us that do not want to sacrifice performance, but need to haul around the rug rats.

More Bang Less Buck
By rcnst on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I dare you to test drive this car. You will be astounded and amazed. I was. I mean after all, it's a Volvo. The brand's not exactly the spicest salsa on the shelf. Yet, this car has the horsepower and acceleration of a BMW 330 and A4 3.0 for thousands less. The interior is innovative and clean, while torque steer is negligble. And during the winter months you'll laugh at all those "rear wheel drive" snobs stuck in a snow bank. The brakes are sure stopping, and it's safer than a pillow. My wife's a little speed demon who loves this ride and the times are few and fortunate when I can take this baby for a spin.

Fun and comfort rolled into one!
By brandonpaz on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for about a week now and I love it! It is fun to drive meets comfort. My boss has been really happy because I am finally getting to work on time. I wake up before my alarm goes off because I am so excited to wake up and drive to work. She handles and corners like a dream, yet I still get all the luxury features that I want! I was originally looking at a honda accord v6, BMW 3 series, Acura RSX. It finally came down to I was the most comfortable in the Volvo and it was the best bang for my buck, 27k included the T5 with premium, audio, climate, and sports package.