Used 2004 Volvo S40 T5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

bragging rights- great performance
By greatpurchase

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

T5 is very unique and great power
By Luis H

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

unique look. pretty fast car. remote control opens windows.

more room for the back passengers, dealership needs to be more helpful. needs a security beep when doors open/lock. trunk opening needs to be bigger. blind spots when looking to switch lanes.

2004 s40 t5
By laurenc8283

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second Volvo. And I've had so many problem with the s40, from engine problems to transmission problems... I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it and it had a bad compresser, and a blown amp.. My cd player had to be replaced... All the Major belts have had to be replaced twice.. The care also stinks on gas! I do not think this is a reliable car, and very disappointed in Volvo.. Havent had the car a year yet and im already in the process of getting a new car... Not recommended!

The turbo, has some get up and go... and the 6 disc cd changer.

more ROOM!! cant fit ppl in the back seat comfortably... and the cup holders stink.. if you take a curb to fast your drink it going in your lap.

Great car
By Joseph Agiato

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I think this is one of the best cars we have ever owned.

fuel economy

Needs to be a little wider

very reliable
By David

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall the car is pretty safe, it has already been into 3 minor accidents and one major accident. My wife was driving the vehicle on the Autobahn but there was a stau or traffic jam, well she stopped but the car hit her from the back at 90 mph, my son and wife were not harmed at all, just headaches. If it was any other car I don't think that my family would have made it. Volvo is the best, even though your not expecting an accident. Atleast you know that Volvo is built quality.

• SUV