2004 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Good!
By Ivette on 06/04/09 03:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought it new. Very powerful, comfortable, and fun to drive. I have had it for five years, and it has been very reliable.

Performance Bargain
By Michael on 03/14/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I've been driving this car for about a month and I love it. It makes my commute enjoyable instead of it being a drudgery. The Volvo S40 handles like it's on rails, stuck to the road like glue.Really comfortable. The car feels so solid and well built. The 5 cylinder engine has a surprising amount of power. It really takes off when you punch the accelerator, and yet, fuel economy is better than my Honda Accord. I'm averaging about 32 mpg on the highway. I wish I had bought this car a long time ago!

First and Last Volvo
By FtLauderdale on 12/14/07 08:52 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I'm not a big fan of this car and anxiously await the end of the lease. It's just not reliable enough, something is always going wrong and the service people act like they're doing you a big favor to fix it, even warrantly items that just should not be a problem so soon. With that scenario, rattles, wind noise, and poor gas mileage (22 mpg), I'll be looking elsewere for my next ride.

Fun, Fun, Fun!
By RYan on 05/30/07 05:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are finishing up our 3-year lease on this car and have loved driving it. We have all options including upgraded stereo, leather, htd seats, etc. and it is a blast to drive. We have owned a few Volvos in the past (240, 850) and this one is by far the coolest (beats the stodgy S60 and S80 designs by a mile). It is peppy, even our 2.4i, gets good mileage, 32/22, and handles great, even in the snow. We are in MN and had two major storms this year. I popped the car in manual mode and plowed right out of 1-foot snow drifts, while our Camry bottomed out and got stuck several times. Great car.

2 Years Later I STILL Love it!!
By Restongal on 10/09/06 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Okay I have had this car over two years and have done some serious driving, at just over 42,000 miles I've driven in most every weather condition and this car has passed with flying colors through all of them. I was stuck in a major snow storm in Maine, put the car in "winter mode" and had no problem driving where many others had to pull over. The 2.4 has plenty of get up and go, and I love the looks it gets from others, I have had several people stop and ask me about it. It handles well and corners darn good with no fishtailing, which I am sure the stability control is responsible for. I recomend this car highly!!!

Fun
By JohnKeith on 05/11/06 16:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have had this car now for 2 years and it has a little over 33,000 miles. So, I feel comfortable to finally give my review. It has been a great car and VERY reliable. I traded my 2003 Accord in for it...and never looked back. The only thing I wish, I would have gotten the T5

Had enough
By Lou on 04/27/06 15:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought car new July 04 and 6 mos later check engine light came on and everything replaced above engine block- cylinders 3 & 4 had 75% leak-down. Tried software download which is a joke. Replace brake pads too. Car out 18 days. Then ignition console went out car died. Out 5 days. Then radio went out, ate my cd's. Out 3 days. Next tranny issue- braking/accelerating produces nothing. Let off gas and retry works. Fixed. Windows work on/off, speakers work on/off. Strong electrical smell appeared. Defective condenser. All fixed. Out longer. As of today windows/speakers/strong smell issues still there, tranny wierd. Bottom line not safe or reliable. Software updates dont wrk.Is a lemon. Giving back. Had enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

S40 Good but could be so much better...
By btp on 07/11/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have driven the car on long trips as well as used it as a commuter and the driver comfort is excellent as are the interior features. My S40 is the 5spd manual non-T5 yet I LOVE the responsiveness and handling of the car in all types of weather - and the good mileage! (way better than auto-trans). I got the winter mats (a must for a New England winter) and had the dealer install - those little buttons that hold the mats in place REALLY should be fastened better. The other nag is that I get intermittent wind noise/whistle from somewhere in back. I dread the first rattle - PLEASE dont be a Ford and rattle after 30k miles! -the fuses for the 12volt were dead when I bought it...bummer.

Disappointed in Volvo
By Mich91020 on 02/19/05 11:10 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Went through not one, but two lemons. Multiple issues related to technical problems (car just froze) and cheaply made parts (engine bracket broke, yes while driving) and a number of unknowns (why is my engine light always on??)

Volvo Ultimate Drive
By Anad on 09/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This is an extremely comfortable and fun drive.