Used 2004 Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Good!
By Ivette

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought it new. Very powerful, comfortable, and fun to drive. I have had it for five years, and it has been very reliable.

Acceleration, cheap on gas, pretty design, nice stereo, both automatic and manual.

Needs a compartment for sunglasses, the trunk is tooooo small, needs a better way for the trunk to be opened.

Performance Bargain
By Michael

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I've been driving this car for about a month and I love it. It makes my commute enjoyable instead of it being a drudgery. The Volvo S40 handles like it's on rails, stuck to the road like glue.Really comfortable. The car feels so solid and well built. The 5 cylinder engine has a surprising amount of power. It really takes off when you punch the accelerator, and yet, fuel economy is better than my Honda Accord. I'm averaging about 32 mpg on the highway. I wish I had bought this car a long time ago!

Styling: This car turns heads! Volvo reputation for safety Volvo reputation for quality

Don't change a thing!

First and Last Volvo
By FtLauderdale

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I'm not a big fan of this car and anxiously await the end of the lease. It's just not reliable enough, something is always going wrong and the service people act like they're doing you a big favor to fix it, even warrantly items that just should not be a problem so soon. With that scenario, rattles, wind noise, and poor gas mileage (22 mpg), I'll be looking elsewere for my next ride.

hugs the road well, exc pick-up good acceleration good radio great a/c comfortable seats, nice leather

Poor gas mileage (22 mpg avg) Low front end gets caught on cement parking lot stoppers Car has been in shop many times for "computer problems" phantom messages, door locks, exterior lights, fuel levels. Many repairs-warranty items, why? Front storage (console and glove) is stingy

Fun, Fun, Fun!
By RYan

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are finishing up our 3-year lease on this car and have loved driving it. We have all options including upgraded stereo, leather, htd seats, etc. and it is a blast to drive. We have owned a few Volvos in the past (240, 850) and this one is by far the coolest (beats the stodgy S60 and S80 designs by a mile). It is peppy, even our 2.4i, gets good mileage, 32/22, and handles great, even in the snow. We are in MN and had two major storms this year. I popped the car in manual mode and plowed right out of 1-foot snow drifts, while our Camry bottomed out and got stuck several times. Great car.

Heated seats, extra speakers, cool interior design and functionality. Decent cargo space for a compact. Quick!

A bit more leg room in the rear (though it is consistent with the other competitors like BMW, Lexus, etc.).

2 Years Later I STILL Love it!!
By Restongal

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Okay I have had this car over two years and have done some serious driving, at just over 42,000 miles I've driven in most every weather condition and this car has passed with flying colors through all of them. I was stuck in a major snow storm in Maine, put the car in "winter mode" and had no problem driving where many others had to pull over. The 2.4 has plenty of get up and go, and I love the looks it gets from others, I have had several people stop and ask me about it. It handles well and corners darn good with no fishtailing, which I am sure the stability control is responsible for. I recomend this car highly!!!

Center console, I put my CD's behind it and everyone is floored by how thin it is. Classy but fun styling, with the moonroof and all the windows open who needs a convertable? There is not much I don't like.

Possibly deeper cup holders, the big sizes of drinks can tip a little if a sudden stop is made. The hood release is way under the dashboard, but these are minor things and I really had to think of something