2004 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Great car for my used car budget
By JRGILLESPIE on 04/01/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 94 850 wagon and loved it, then I saw this one for sale at a lot. So far it's great. I love the eye catching "Virtual Blue" color. The turbo is great and it's got good pick- up. My $11k went far and I know this car will last me just like my last one did. I love the aggressive look of the front end and the rims. My complaints are like most everyone else's...the radio is ridiculous. The knobs to control the presets are just awkward. A "popping" trunk release would have been nice as well. I rated reliability at an 8 but I haven't had the car long. I base this on previous Volvo experience.

Good Car
By Darc on 02/19/07 13:54 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a good car to own... but like any car - should be maintained... this can be expensive. Replaced the brakes at 60K, thermostat at 95K, otherwise just routine stuff... love to drive it every day.

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By CHARLES RICHARDS on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A FUN CAR TO DRIVE....SURPRISING POWER ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERSTATE...DRIVER SIDE A LITTLE SNUG FOR A BIG FELLOW OR GAL....I MISS THE TILT STERRING RANGE...SHORT RANGE DOES NOT ALLOV EASY ENTRY TO DRIVERS SIDE

S40 Best Value
By bigwillie on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I had the opportunity to drive my S40 from Atlanta to San Antonio. This was a pleasurable round-trip, road noise was at a minimum, CD-radio system was reliable, braking was excellent, and the adjustable seats were key to a comfortable ride. My purchase experience in a fully loaded S40 was well below invoice price at around $22k. This is an excellent value for the dollar. As a previous BMW 325i driver this car compares favorably.

New to Volvo, I made a GREAT choice!
By aglio412 on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Went to a VW dealership expecting to walk out with a turbo Beetle for my fiancee. Instead we got a GREAT deal on a 2004 S40 LSE. The ride is great and the car is shockingly responsive for only being a 4cyl turbo with automatic transmission. The interior is GREAT. the leather seating is luxurious and the dash/controls are ergonomically placed. I'm already so comfortable in it that I feel like I've owned the car for 3 years, not 3 days.

Volvo S40 LSE AS R
By Mr.Garza on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall a great car. Going to Grossinger Volvo in Lincolnwood, Illinois was a hassle, they have a terrible service center, and when we terminated a lease of a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE they lost the keys, manual to the car and never returned it on time(recieved bills from toyota). Great car for the money. It would have been better if they had told us about the new redesigned 2004.5 Volvo S40. The service is terrible they don't know the parts of the car, they don't know how to fix problems with the car(squeking noise when braking), and they don't know which car you own, last time they brought us the wrong car!!!Don't go to Grossinger!!!

My Volvo S40 w/ Sports Package
By WilliamLAlsmeyer on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The Turbo makes this vehicle perform magnificently. It's a little cramped inside, but the trunk, and fold down rear seat produce lots of Cargo Space. My wife traded in her Volvo GL-240, w/ over 200k miles, and only did so because it became difficult to get repair parts. Comes w/ 3 years and 36k miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, including tires, w all routine and emergency maintenance w/o charge. That can be extended. Maintenance costs then, are included in the purchase price!

Best Purchase Ever!
By Debbie N. on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

What a great little car! Having already purchased a used Volvo wagon, we knew we wanted our next car to be a Volvo, but affordability was an issue. I moved from a Saturn into the Volvo S40, and was surprised at how inexpensive the car was, and how much bang we got for our buck.

bang for buck
By jennifers favorite on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

rides good very good fuel economy getting an average around 29 or 30 mpg on a 35 mile trip to work daily on road with cruise control set on 79mph we got 35 to36 mpg from ga to ind

I love it!
By KEM on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It has been really great, very reliable, comfortable, and handles great. It feels very solid and safe while driving.