Used 2004 Volvo S40 LSE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great car for my used car budget
By JRGILLESPIE

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 94 850 wagon and loved it, then I saw this one for sale at a lot. So far it's great. I love the eye catching "Virtual Blue" color. The turbo is great and it's got good pick- up. My $11k went far and I know this car will last me just like my last one did. I love the aggressive look of the front end and the rims. My complaints are like most everyone else's...the radio is ridiculous. The knobs to control the presets are just awkward. A "popping" trunk release would have been nice as well. I rated reliability at an 8 but I haven't had the car long. I base this on previous Volvo experience.

Turbo, great looking rims, the leather seats are gorgeous, the info center, agressive front end.

Ashtray, better radio controls, steering wheel controls, popping trunk.

Good Car
By Darc

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a good car to own... but like any car - should be maintained... this can be expensive. Replaced the brakes at 60K, thermostat at 95K, otherwise just routine stuff... love to drive it every day.

Headlight wipers

Rear truck release

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By CHARLES RICHARDS

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A FUN CAR TO DRIVE....SURPRISING POWER ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERSTATE...DRIVER SIDE A LITTLE SNUG FOR A BIG FELLOW OR GAL....I MISS THE TILT STERRING RANGE...SHORT RANGE DOES NOT ALLOV EASY ENTRY TO DRIVERS SIDE

DESIGN...POWER,,,HANDLING

DRIVER ROOM ...LEGS ESPECIALLY

S40 Best Value
By bigwillie

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I had the opportunity to drive my S40 from Atlanta to San Antonio. This was a pleasurable round-trip, road noise was at a minimum, CD-radio system was reliable, braking was excellent, and the adjustable seats were key to a comfortable ride. My purchase experience in a fully loaded S40 was well below invoice price at around $22k. This is an excellent value for the dollar. As a previous BMW 325i driver this car compares favorably.

My favorite features are the audio system and the adjustable driver seats.

Soundproofing can always be improved to reduce the outside noise--thought soundproofing has already been done well on the S40.

New to Volvo, I made a GREAT choice!
By aglio412

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Went to a VW dealership expecting to walk out with a turbo Beetle for my fiancee. Instead we got a GREAT deal on a 2004 S40 LSE. The ride is great and the car is shockingly responsive for only being a 4cyl turbo with automatic transmission. The interior is GREAT. the leather seating is luxurious and the dash/controls are ergonomically placed. I'm already so comfortable in it that I feel like I've owned the car for 3 years, not 3 days.

Peppy and efficient engine, perfect interior, BBS wheels and body trim.

Xenon [HID] lights would have been nice, as well as a navigation system. Would prefer a 5/6 spd manual as well. Stereo could be better, but it's not bad.