2004 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
bragging rights- great performance
By greatpurchase on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

This car can save your life
By John on 07/22/10 17:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car for my teenage daughter, in part because of its safety features. Within months she was involved in a serious rollover accident (swerved to avoid a deer) and the car came to rest on its roof. The car was totaled. Looking at the car afterward I would have believed it was a fatal accident, but she did not have a scratch! If safety is paramount to you, you can count on this car - it saved my daughter's life.

T5 is very unique and great power
By Luis H on 04/17/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

2004 s40 t5
By laurenc8283 on 06/21/09 07:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second Volvo. And I've had so many problem with the s40, from engine problems to transmission problems... I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it and it had a bad compresser, and a blown amp.. My cd player had to be replaced... All the Major belts have had to be replaced twice.. The care also stinks on gas! I do not think this is a reliable car, and very disappointed in Volvo.. Havent had the car a year yet and im already in the process of getting a new car... Not recommended!

Good!
By Ivette on 06/04/09 03:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought it new. Very powerful, comfortable, and fun to drive. I have had it for five years, and it has been very reliable.

Great car for my used car budget
By JRGILLESPIE on 04/01/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan LSE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 94 850 wagon and loved it, then I saw this one for sale at a lot. So far it's great. I love the eye catching "Virtual Blue" color. The turbo is great and it's got good pick- up. My $11k went far and I know this car will last me just like my last one did. I love the aggressive look of the front end and the rims. My complaints are like most everyone else's...the radio is ridiculous. The knobs to control the presets are just awkward. A "popping" trunk release would have been nice as well. I rated reliability at an 8 but I haven't had the car long. I base this on previous Volvo experience.

Performance Bargain
By Michael on 03/14/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I've been driving this car for about a month and I love it. It makes my commute enjoyable instead of it being a drudgery. The Volvo S40 handles like it's on rails, stuck to the road like glue.Really comfortable. The car feels so solid and well built. The 5 cylinder engine has a surprising amount of power. It really takes off when you punch the accelerator, and yet, fuel economy is better than my Honda Accord. I'm averaging about 32 mpg on the highway. I wish I had bought this car a long time ago!

First and Last Volvo
By FtLauderdale on 12/14/07 08:52 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I'm not a big fan of this car and anxiously await the end of the lease. It's just not reliable enough, something is always going wrong and the service people act like they're doing you a big favor to fix it, even warrantly items that just should not be a problem so soon. With that scenario, rattles, wind noise, and poor gas mileage (22 mpg), I'll be looking elsewere for my next ride.

Fun, Fun, Fun!
By RYan on 05/30/07 05:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are finishing up our 3-year lease on this car and have loved driving it. We have all options including upgraded stereo, leather, htd seats, etc. and it is a blast to drive. We have owned a few Volvos in the past (240, 850) and this one is by far the coolest (beats the stodgy S60 and S80 designs by a mile). It is peppy, even our 2.4i, gets good mileage, 32/22, and handles great, even in the snow. We are in MN and had two major storms this year. I popped the car in manual mode and plowed right out of 1-foot snow drifts, while our Camry bottomed out and got stuck several times. Great car.

Not sure I would buy another one
By Paul on 03/04/07 17:49 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really enjoy the way this car handles and drives. However, I have had a lot of mechanical problems. As a result, it has been in the shop more than any car I have ever owned. The transmission sometimes kicks hard when it shifts and the dealer keeps telling me this is normal. This car gets pretty bad ratings from Consumer Reports, something I wish I would have checked before buying. My warranty will run out soon and I will definitely trade it when when it does. I doubt I will buy another Volvo because of the mechanical issues. My wife's Toyota is much more reliable and more than likely I will trade my car for a Toyota when the time comes.