Used 2004 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

bragging rights- great performance
By greatpurchase

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

This car can save your life
By John

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car for my teenage daughter, in part because of its safety features. Within months she was involved in a serious rollover accident (swerved to avoid a deer) and the car came to rest on its roof. The car was totaled. Looking at the car afterward I would have believed it was a fatal accident, but she did not have a scratch! If safety is paramount to you, you can count on this car - it saved my daughter's life.

T5 is very unique and great power
By Luis H

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

Favorite Features

unique look. pretty fast car. remote control opens windows.

Suggested Improvements

more room for the back passengers, dealership needs to be more helpful. needs a security beep when doors open/lock. trunk opening needs to be bigger. blind spots when looking to switch lanes.

2004 s40 t5
By laurenc8283

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second Volvo. And I've had so many problem with the s40, from engine problems to transmission problems... I bought the car with 75,000 miles on it and it had a bad compresser, and a blown amp.. My cd player had to be replaced... All the Major belts have had to be replaced twice.. The care also stinks on gas! I do not think this is a reliable car, and very disappointed in Volvo.. Havent had the car a year yet and im already in the process of getting a new car... Not recommended!

Favorite Features

The turbo, has some get up and go... and the 6 disc cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

more ROOM!! cant fit ppl in the back seat comfortably... and the cup holders stink.. if you take a curb to fast your drink it going in your lap.

Good!
By Ivette

2004 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought it new. Very powerful, comfortable, and fun to drive. I have had it for five years, and it has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, cheap on gas, pretty design, nice stereo, both automatic and manual.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a compartment for sunglasses, the trunk is tooooo small, needs a better way for the trunk to be opened.