2003 Volvo S40 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Don't Do It

2003 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

Don't Do It
By RObert on

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Lot's of rattles, odds and ends that break. Sure, it's all under warranty, but each time another visit to the dealer for service, and who has time for that? My visits went like this, "yeah, you're right it's broke, but we have to order the part, so you'll have to bring it back," doubling my number of visits! Defects included chech engine light on at least 6 x's, gas cap lock broke, hazard switch broke, sun roof mechanism broke, and, for the first time with any car I've ever owned, rear bakes went on it after one year, ate into the rotors (not covered under warranty) causing $400 worth of damage.

Favorite Features

WAY too little room inside. Push the front seats back for room, and NO ONE, repeat, NO ONE, can sit in the back.

Suggested Improvements

They say volvos last hundreds of thousands of miles. I'll never know because I plan to get rid of it asap. I bought this car in a hurry, with every available feature, about $29,000. Extreme disappointment, and many other cars offering a lot more for the price.