Used 2003 Volvo S40 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )

Near the top of this Valet's list.
By jeffj-nj

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

700 characters is just NOT enough room to sing this car's praises. I work as a valet, so I've driven, oh, about everything. That said, there is nothing on the road today offering this cost/quality ratio. Everything about the car is just so... right. I had originally prepared a several paragraph essay about this, but I can't post it or even figure out what to cut from it. So, I'll sum it up with this: I've put 25k miles on this car, and enjoyed every one of them. Considering several hundred of them were accumulated in one sitting, and/or during the worst winter NJ has seen in some time, that's really saying quite a bit. If you're looking elsewhere, stop.

Satisfying 'thud' of the door, silky smooth accelaration, lightning-fast traction control reflexes, physical and emotional comfort, and, oh yeah, the actually functional windshield defogger that doesn't f' up your cabin temperature.

Chrome trimmed guages would be nice, aluminum with leather too - not just cloth, higher stereo, or at least angled up (your eyes are off the road too long - safety first, remember?), a "no seat-belt" chime is very mysteriously absent, but mostly, where's the manual transmission?!

love it!
By dms6dms6

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my Volvo. I have had it just over a year now and I've put 26K miles on it...and I've had no problems with it. It is a great car for the money.

Bad Brakes
By jamminjay

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Brakes should NOT fail at 15,000 miles! On a regular maintenance trip to the dealer they informed us that the rear brakes had less than 10% life life and needed to be replaced. WHAT???? Other than that a peppy little car, pretty solid.

Gas mileage is excellent!

Interior integrity is no too good. Headliner popped out around the sunroof, seatbelt enclosures tend to separate. Re engineer the rear brakes!!!!

Great Car for the Price
By Siddiqui

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have bought this car 2 weeks ago, and I love it, This car is quick.With Ford Xplan and $4500 incenticve it is a true bargain, I am waiting to see how it handles in the winter, I opted for sports and climate package with Moonroof. I have read people have some problems in 2000 and 2001 models but i think there are all fixed in 2003. I have checked A4 and VW Passat but they were too pricey as compared to S40.

Turbo Engine, handling, safety feature, fuel economy, lumbar support in front seats, 70/30 split in back seats, booster rear seats for kids, heated seats will be great in winter times.

Automatic Dimming rear view mirror (should be there for this price range car), electronic compass, steering wheel radio controls (would have been a real plus).

Culturally confused but very nice
By Larry Pope

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never owned a Ford product. I have never owned a Volvo. I've never owned a Mitsubishi product. I've never owned a car built in Holland. One purchase covered all of those voids. That said, the car is well built, and gutsy. It's my wife's driver and she loves it. My only complaint with the car is that the 4 cylinder is a little noisy. But I've driven few 4 cylinders that didn't sound like sewing machines.

Overall exterior design. I used to hate Volvos. Called them "Swedish Tractors". Ugly ugly ugly. The new generations of car show some style and "American" influence. Whether it's Ford's ownership or they simply had to come into the 21st century, they've done a nice job with the styling.

The 4 bolt wheels look a little cheap. The castings are good and the styling is fine, make them 5 bolt. Overall, no major complaints or concerns.

• SUV