2003 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )
Great bang for the buck
By Bababooey on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We test drove VW Passat, and Jetta. Both vehicles had a higher price tag. The S40 is by far a better car. Good power and the handleing is excellent for a Front Wheel drive car.

TOO MANY PROBLEMS
By s40sucks on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I leased this new S40 in March 2001. Within the first year I had to replace a rear rotor due to a factory defect. During the second year with 10,000 miles on the car I needed new rear rotors and brake pads costing close to $500. I am currently fighting with Volvo to reimburse me. During the second year the shift light blew out, the front headlight had to be replaced, the power seat broke and needed a new switch, the steering colum needed repairs. The check engine light goes on and off continously, and the air conditioning is terrible. I would never consider another VOLVO and advise all to stay away!

Great car, expect to pay for it though
By GT3996 on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car was purchased for my wife in 12/00 with the expectation that we would have a baby before the end of the lease. We truly enjoyed the car, however the addition of our daughter has changed our feelings towards the S40. It is simply not large enough for two adults and one baby. With the baby seat in the rear-facing position behind the passengers' seat, my wife has to move the passengers' seat almost all of the way forward, which is obviously not comfortable. Also, we had to replace the brake pads at 13,000 miles, and tires at 22,000 miles.

Inexpensive, Fun to Drive, Great w/ Gas
By ArmyWife1971 on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is fun to drive, nearly like a sport car, but without higher insurance costs. I love the way it gets up and the comfort for the driver. I do not like the wheel adjuster for the passenger seat. For me this is really a two person car because the front passengers are EXTREMELY comfy. The rear ones are just ok. Also, what happened to a trunk light? I'm on nearly 30k miles in less than a year, no problems with the car at all. Overall I am pleased. I must say my once loved SUV is now parked while I zip around in a fast but safe car.

Awesom
By tdta817 on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I test drove the Audi A4, VW Passat, but finally settle on the S40. It's nicely built, good controls, acceleration, and excellent safety features for small car.

Overlooked and underrated S40
By RavCar on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is excellent, fun to drive, reasonably sized, had lot of features that were not there in Passat and A4 when I bought this car like side curtain air bags and nice interior. Acceleration is amazing. It responds well. Seats are very comfortable. Radio that allows me to set and store 20 stations and switching stations is as easy as controlling volume. Volvo should try to make this car popular, they don't pay much attention to this car as they do to their other models like S60.

Incredible Car -- bellisimo!!!!
By mr911sc on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The motor is strong with no lag. The turbo is fully spooled at 1750RPM, the Torque converter stall speed is well above that. The trans shifts according to the type of driver you are and adapts quickly.. it will even anticipate desired acceleration after a turn/obstacle, and downshift before you get on the gas.The suspension in this car does not compare to any car that I have ever driven (I also own a Porsche 911). It quite simply, is phenomenal. The geometry is PERFECT. The car always feels planted. You can never misunderstand what the car is doing or what the car can do. It goes where you point it.

Great CAR!!!
By Maria F on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has been a dream, I have had no problems with it, and the service department is amazing.

worst car i've ever owned
By dunx on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

i purchased this car in january, 2000, because my wife "had to have it". back brakes went out after 15k mi and ruined rotor. a/c stops working w/continuous use (2 hours driving). headlight go out every 10k mi. sunvisors are stuck in down position. check engine light is on contiously-no one knows why. maintenance is expensive even for european car. the suspension rattles until the car has warmed-up (?!?). headlight socket broke when light replaced (3rd time)-dealer says it's my problem since the warranty is out.

perfect car
By Paul_pl on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Simply the best, can not be compared to japan or german cars....