2003 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )
A Great Car
By Ray on 08/01/09 04:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It handles great, good quality, gas mileage superb--36mpg on a 1000 mile hilly trip through VA,WV,and OH with the cruise set at 70 and 3 adults. I love the turbo and the fact that the cruise never kicks out on long steep grades and provides good acceleration when needed. I don't understand the other reviewer's problems with brakes. Mine are still the original. I get 39 mpg driving a back and forth over an 80mi (160) stretch over the Blue Ridge Mts. I love the computer mpg meter giving instantaneous and avg mpg. The other features (heated seats, pockets in front of seat base) are nice. Overall a great little car. It could use a little more floor room for rear occupants.

Love my 2003 S40
By Sheri Ann Johnson on 08/03/08 18:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my 2003 S40 in 07 with only 4600 miles on it. Ultimately a new car! I couldn't be happier with it. It's quick to get out the way & handles nicely, especially in the Florida rains. I do wish the back seat had more room for passengers, but it's a great excuse to get out of driving! I feel safe driving, especially at night. I've had no major issues, replaced a headlight & put on a new set of Michelins. I'll definitely replace it with another Volvo.

The Lilttle Engine That Could
By zackyson on 04/05/08 23:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

What a super little car, I've owned other Volvos, but this is amazing built. Outstanding throttle response for such a prize machine. Imagine driving from Torrance, Ca to San Diego, Ca on ten dollars worth of gas in 2008! Wow! I love this car, my Cayanne S was fast, but nothing compared to this little speed demon. Thanks a lot Sweden.

Still satisfied after 4 years
By Seattle driver on 01/21/07 00:59 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having owned this car for over 4 yrs, I remain quite satisfied. Changed brake pads and headlights at 36k miles. Still on original Michelin tires after 43k miles. Drives as well as it did in Nov 2002, smoothly yet with pep if needed. Recommended maintenance done by non-dealer Volvo-only shop for reasonable price. Even my BMW-3-series-owning friends enjoy riding in it with me.

Volvo S40 - 2003 model
By Cindy on 08/06/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned this car for 2 years. Excellent road car, great around town. A/C is exceptional, esp. for Texas heat. Turning radius is typical Volvo - turns on a dime. Love the car!

S40 Exceeds Expectations
By Eric T. on 02/27/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My S40 began life as a RENTAL CAR, and 30k miles later, I purchased it. Why this car? Initially because of its value, reputation, style, & service competency at the dealership. I haven't had a single problem with my car. I commute 50 comfortable miles r/t daily, and get 30+mpg. I've never struggled to merge into fast moving traffic. I keep it clean, change the oil myself, and monitor fluid levels and tire pressure/wear. Volvo has higher value over time, and is safer than most other cars on the road. When I want 'performance' acceleration/handling/braking, I'll put on my helmet and leathers, and head for a track day on my superbike. My car is more than competent at what I expect from a car.

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By strack on 10/10/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This care has had problem ever since day one. The braking system was replaced, the a/c system replaced (and starting to act up again), splash guard fell down and there was no damage (screws just fell out). Fuel economy gets worse and worse. When the car was new, got 29 MPG on highway, now 25 MPG on highway. Maintenance costs are very high from Volvo for routine maint.

s40 and brake pads
By leo22 on 07/11/05 22:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

my s40 has been through 3 sets of rear brake pads in 50,000 miles, and 1 set of rotors. Who ever heard of rear brake pads only lasting 12 to 15 thousand miles. Volvo claims this is normal wear for our pads and that there is no problems with the braking system. I have also replaced the front pads once they seem to hold better. I have also had other miscelanious problems i.e. bad fuel injectors replaced, gas gauge replaced, and several light bulbs. Overall this car has not been a very pleasant experience and I can't wait to get out of my lease.

Most disappointing car ever
By Marco on 04/23/05 12:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When I was shopping for a car back in 02, I chose the Volvo S40 after looking at the Acura RSX, Saab 93, and Audi A4. Ultimately, I picked the Volvo because it seemed luxurious, the dealer promised that this was a 'performance' car, and I had the Ford Aplan discount, which made it the cheapest of the bunch. Oops. What a disaster of a car. To be fair, I think that Volvo just has no idea how to make a small car. The 'performance' is a joke. The handling is ponderous and, at highway speeds, can be a little scary. When passing at high speeds, the car wobbles -- literally. The braking is AWFUL. The nose dips and the car takes too long to stop. Would not recommend this car.

love my S40
By lmh on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed my S40. I was hesitant to purchase after reading several reviews of earlier versions of this car. In my opinion, the 2003 S40 is one of the best values on the road. I had previously decided to replace my old Accord with a newer version but was turned off by the pricing on the EX model when I went in to purchase. I found the S40 to be far more luxurious and fun to drive than the Accord for about the same price (actually less for a certified used vehicle). The car is zippy and extremely comfortable, and I love the fact that it is far less common on the roadways than the old standbys Accord and Camry. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone!