2002 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Good Car, But Getting Expensiv

2002 Volvo S40 - Consumer Review

Good Car, But Getting Expensive
By polzinbw on

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I agree with all of the positives others have written: nice ride, looks good, feels solid, nice features/bells/whistles for the price. However, after owning it now for just shy of 5 years (87,000 miles, bought used with 14k) it's starting to fall apart on me. Have replaced shocks/struts at 73,000 which seems early; put in a new power window motor around 75,000 ($600); the sunroof doesn't close quite all the way and leaks in a car wash sometimes; some small molding is coming apart around the trunk release; the alarm doesn't always turn on when I lock the car. Have done breaks twice now, too. And these repairs are expensive - this isn't a Honda or Toyota. Engine is supposed to be good though!

6 months ago, I'd have said the ride was my favorite feature. Now with $4.15 gas, I'd say the 30 - 40 mpg I get on the freeway is the biggest benefit.

Overall reliability. Some of the stuff that's going wrong on here is rediculous.