2002 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (60 reviews )
Nwe S40 2002
By Gerald on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I did a lot of research and reading prior to buying this vehicle. For the money this is an excellent choice of a European made car. My performance has been nothing but excellent. The day after I purchased it we took it on a long business trip (300 miles) and it was super to ride in and fun to drive. The folks at Volvo listened to those who complained. Cup holders have been moved and the service light problem fixed.

2000 Volvo S40
By koj on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have been very happy with my 2000 S40 overall. I bought it brand new in December, 1999. It rides very well, although I think it could use a little more leg room. I've had to have the radio/CD player replaced. Also, the windshield wiper dispenser on the hood leaks, which cause some discoloring on the paint. I bought the very first model her in the US, so I've had several little thinngs occur which have all been under warranty. Lesson learned, I will not buy another Volvo model it's first year in release, or any other car for that matter.

Not so Happy
By kurt ericsson on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have replaced brakes at 12,000 miles, and was told by volvo this is normal. Light bulbs are constantly out amd head and tail lights are also constantly going out. Many idiot lights coming on on the dash board. Great car to drive, but very quirky, and has been to the dealer for service on a monthly basis. I would not recommend.

S40
By RJONES on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I FIND THIS TO BE AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE FOR THE PRICE. DRIVING IS FUN AND VERY QUICK. I AM ALSO PLEASED WITH THE SAFETY FEATURES, IN PARTICULAR, THE WHIPLASH PROTECTION SYSTEM AND 6 AIRBAGS.

Great European Automobile
By Aaron1 on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife and I purchased our 2001 S40 in September and have very much enjoyed owning it. The 1.9L turbo charged engine provides great acceleration and the ride quality of the S40 is very smooth, even over rough surfaces. The service light issue, many other reviews have mentioned, was easily fixed by a recall from Volvo and a quick software upgrade to the car’s internal computer. The S40’s relatively low price and long list of standard features offers BMW's 3 Series and Audi's A4 solid competition in the upscale entry-level sedan realm. The passenger compartment of the S40 is well-finished and its large trunk provides ample cargo capacity.

A mistake
By 18yearolddriver on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

With no added options, not even a CD player, the car came with nothing. 100 watts of sound is barely enough to drown out the loud engine and the sounds of the road. You can hear everything on the road, and everyone can hear the sound coming from your car. Very thin doors. Poor placement of cup holders, and they are square. Since when are cups square? Many problems: brakes, tires, steering wheel, wipers (headlight and windsheild), and the windshield itself. Weak body is prone to little dings that occur with everyday driving. Gas and brake pedals too close to each other!

Great little cruiser!
By RQ on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Can't beat the lease on ths loaded S40! Nicer than my 98 Maxima SE. Already had the oxygen sensor replaced after one week/100 miles but otherwise a flawless luxury sedan. Definately recommend a Volvo to anyone researching Audi, VW, Lexus or Infiniti.

get an accord
By Joejoe on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Although this car comes with the emblem of volvo there is not much else to love about it. From a cup holder that does not allow you to pull out your CD's,windows that whistle when you raise them to a check engine light that comes on if you don' tighten the gas cap three turns past the end. I had to replace the steering column and breaks after 10,000 miles. I wish I had leased a Honda Accord.

Not worth the $$$
By Brendan Kelly on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for almost two years and have had it in the shop on at least 5 occasions due to manufacture defects. True, I've had no serious problems, but after driving a Honda and Nissan into the ground with nary a problem, this is new territory for me. I had to replace the brakes after only 12,000 miles and Volvo tried to convince me that this is normal! The 15K tune-up cost me almost $500. Since I'll exceed 45,000 during my 39 month lease, I'll have to pay almost $1,500 to have the tires rotated and the filters replaced.

I love this car
By stargate on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really enjoy driving this car - it is just my size, very comfortable, I haven't had any problems since I got it. It is a bit small for my husband though. I really like the features and safety, the car accelerates well, I get a good gas mileage.