2002 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (60 reviews )
Good Fun Car
By nate91 on 07/26/12 20:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really wanted a used BMW or Mercedes primarily because they were great handling rear-wheel drive cars. Hence I was hesitant to get another front-drive Volvo, but this car was in the price range. However, this car has exceeded my expectations. The turbo makes for great power and great fun. Hit the gas hard and it peels out through first gear. You can easily get to any open spot in traffic even on the highway. Firm suspension makes for good handling but a bit of a bumpy ride. Like others said, it stops on a dime. The cons. Cheap interior, I hate the cloth seats and door panels are loose. The car idles a bit rough, the steering wheel always shakes at lights.

Comfortable car
By noniriches83 on 05/13/12 09:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm a housewife, I love driving this car, it's my current car, the 2002 year made. I find this car comfortable and fun to drive. Handles well, very good cornering and very responsive brake. And also the turbo gives enough power to get into traffic when you need it. :) VOLVO S40 is a 5stars rating for the safest car.

Best 4cyl Car
By Daniel on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a very reliable car that meets all my requirements for a car. Small yet comfortable. I value the understated luxury, it lacks the pretension a BMW 318 or Audi A4 1.8t might have associated with it.

Not as much VOLVO quality
By eragchaa on 02/05/10 07:28 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 02 S40 with 60K miles on it, for my wife. This is great looking car, with turbocharger. Great acceleration, power for 1.9T engine. At 70K we had to replace TurboCharger, I did the job myself, bought the Turbo from eBay used one for 240$,saved about $900.At Volvo it would cost about 800$ for the part and $400 for installation.Then check engine light came up,had to replace thermostat,another check engine light had to replace ignition coil,spark plugs,at 80K had another check engine light,have to check it again. Tran fluid change is the ripoff at the dealer, for special VOLVO fluid $18per1/4. MPG is less then 01Camry. Overall not much for high end luxury car.Going for LEXUS next time

Reliable for us - but not for many
By Matt on 12/17/09 08:30 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought a used '02 in early '06 with about 50k miles. It is now approaching 85k and we have had few problems. We had an oil leak for 1.5 years that the dealers could not fix, thought it was RMS but started cheap (RMS is $2k) fixed the Camshaft Seal ($300). That didn't fix it Finally an independent shop found it was the turbo return line, not uncommon and a $100 fix. Otherwise, we have had no real problems. The A/C occasionally blows hot air, something also not uncommon. In general, reliable for us, comfortable and fun to drive. However, shop just told us it was very rare to see this car with 7 years and 80k plus miles without a roulette of engine lights. So maybe we got a good one...

Let Down - Not what they used to be
By cwhite on 11/12/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 4.5 years, purchased certified pre-owned and the 1st yr was great. This vehicle has soooo many mechanical blunders that when I look at it, I'm afraid it might need to go to the shop. I have invested atleast $6,500.oo or more in repairs and replaced tires twice. One dealership replaced parts on it that weren't required to fix the problem and I had it towed from the dealer to a small time mechanic who fixed the problem for 1/4 of the price. I could vent more about it but I'll save their face. I will not buy another Volvo.

No Longer Happy!
By MDB on 08/27/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Chose Volvo for safety and supposed longevity. Generally agree with comments of satisfied owners, though have had some of the problems -- lamp bulbs and brake pads. Owned the car for 7 years, yet only 58,000 miles, so expected at least a couple of more years w/o major repairs. Surprise! Last week my wife drove home from work, and upon arrival stated that something was really wrong with the car. Wheels very hot; towed to dealer; week later Volvo area expert determined that ABS pump failed, entire brake system damaged; repair cost $2800. Have followed all recommended servicing; most recent visit no brake problems noted. Dealer service has been very good, yet we will not buy another Volvo!

Good Car, But Getting Expensive
By polzinbw on 07/17/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I agree with all of the positives others have written: nice ride, looks good, feels solid, nice features/bells/whistles for the price. However, after owning it now for just shy of 5 years (87,000 miles, bought used with 14k) it's starting to fall apart on me. Have replaced shocks/struts at 73,000 which seems early; put in a new power window motor around 75,000 ($600); the sunroof doesn't close quite all the way and leaks in a car wash sometimes; some small molding is coming apart around the trunk release; the alarm doesn't always turn on when I lock the car. Have done breaks twice now, too. And these repairs are expensive - this isn't a Honda or Toyota. Engine is supposed to be good though!

Volvo s40
By Lynn on 03/15/08 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a fun car to drive. The gas mileage is decent. While a 4 dr sedan, there really is no leg room to speak of for adult passengers sitting in the back seat. I have cloth seats, and have had them cleaned twice in 2 years; even a water stain leaves a mark. Next time it's leather for me. Overall, a nice car for 1 or 2 adults.

Great Little Car
By Cristin on 04/09/07 09:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We have owned about a thousand Volvos but this one is by far my favorite. I work in a parking lot with very tight parking and where people are always getting into fender-benders. This car is easy to park and easy to drive. It's fun and gets good mpg. With the leather interior it is very comfortable for long drives.