Used 2002 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volvo S40

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (60 reviews )

Good Fun Car
By nate91

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really wanted a used BMW or Mercedes primarily because they were great handling rear-wheel drive cars. Hence I was hesitant to get another front-drive Volvo, but this car was in the price range. However, this car has exceeded my expectations. The turbo makes for great power and great fun. Hit the gas hard and it peels out through first gear. You can easily get to any open spot in traffic even on the highway. Firm suspension makes for good handling but a bit of a bumpy ride. Like others said, it stops on a dime. The cons. Cheap interior, I hate the cloth seats and door panels are loose. The car idles a bit rough, the steering wheel always shakes at lights.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, good handling, good breaks

Suggested Improvements

Interior lacks quality that one would expect from a premium brand.

Comfortable car
By noniriches83

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm a housewife, I love driving this car, it's my current car, the 2002 year made. I find this car comfortable and fun to drive. Handles well, very good cornering and very responsive brake. And also the turbo gives enough power to get into traffic when you need it. :) VOLVO S40 is a 5stars rating for the safest car.

Best 4cyl Car
By Daniel

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a very reliable car that meets all my requirements for a car. Small yet comfortable. I value the understated luxury, it lacks the pretension a BMW 318 or Audi A4 1.8t might have associated with it.

Favorite Features

The turbo make this 4cyl one of the best 4cly in its class

Suggested Improvements

Suspension does fall short. I've had a coil snap. Yet I must confess that I have loaded the car and driven on New York City streets.

Not as much VOLVO quality
By eragchaa

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 02 S40 with 60K miles on it, for my wife. This is great looking car, with turbocharger. Great acceleration, power for 1.9T engine. At 70K we had to replace TurboCharger, I did the job myself, bought the Turbo from eBay used one for 240$,saved about $900.At Volvo it would cost about 800$ for the part and $400 for installation.Then check engine light came up,had to replace thermostat,another check engine light had to replace ignition coil,spark plugs,at 80K had another check engine light,have to check it again. Tran fluid change is the ripoff at the dealer, for special VOLVO fluid $18per1/4. MPG is less then 01Camry. Overall not much for high end luxury car.Going for LEXUS next time

Favorite Features

turbo

Suggested Improvements

gas millage, better dealer service, overall Volvo is not to be compared with Toyota, our next purchase going to be a LEXUS,

Reliable for us - but not for many
By Matt

2002 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought a used '02 in early '06 with about 50k miles. It is now approaching 85k and we have had few problems. We had an oil leak for 1.5 years that the dealers could not fix, thought it was RMS but started cheap (RMS is $2k) fixed the Camshaft Seal ($300). That didn't fix it Finally an independent shop found it was the turbo return line, not uncommon and a $100 fix. Otherwise, we have had no real problems. The A/C occasionally blows hot air, something also not uncommon. In general, reliable for us, comfortable and fun to drive. However, shop just told us it was very rare to see this car with 7 years and 80k plus miles without a roulette of engine lights. So maybe we got a good one...

Favorite Features

Love the turbo acceleration when passing someone. Nice comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo needs to work on reliability and making their cars more mechanic-friendly. 3 mechanics, 2 at Volvo dealers, couldn't find the oil leak. Resale is terrible. We bought at 1/3 of original MSRP at 4 years old, and now in 4 years it has dropped another 50%. My 10yr old Integra was worth more.