Holy Cow, Where do I start.
By Grant on
2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
I saw many of the reviews on this site and said OMG, I have had the same problems. I got this car to go back and forth to college, boy it was a nightmare. OK we will go down the list. Sunroof needed to be replace upon driving it off the lot (sunroof leaked in water), suspension has a lot of noise, Check engine light comes on when it wants, AC comes on when it wants and doesn't work at intermediate speeds, constantly replacement of bulbs (especially headlights, twice a year and they are not cheap), paint chips easy, turbo line leaked causing a oil leak, constantly replacement of brake pads and rotors, poor braking, AWFUL Fuel economy (around 17 MPG) continues below in improvements section*
Favorite Features
The turbo has a ton of a pep and it has very solid handling. The Exterior of the car looks nice and the front seats are comfy. Lots of Safety features.
Suggested Improvements
Continued* CD player skips when hitting a bump, Audio system lights up when it wants, car takes 3-4 times to start up in winter (brought it to 3 repair shops, they cant figure it out), info center works half the time, cup holder blocks instrument panel, etc ***Volvo needs to fire their engineers***