2001 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Do not buy this car!

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Review

Do not buy this car!
By Emily on

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned. It was 3yrs old and had only 35k mi., but almost immediatly I began having problems - from the steering wheeling vibrating, brakes needing to be replaced, having to replace the entire sunroof, and varous engine parts failing. As soon as the warranty was up, I started taking it other places, but eventually was sent back to a dealer when my check engine light would not go off. Volvo informed me they could try a download to the car's computer, but warned me this occassionaly resulted in the computer freezing and the car becoming unusable, and it would be my expense to fix.

The seats are definitely the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

I agree with what everyone else has said about the cup holder. However, no matter how much they've improved this car, after my terrible experiences with this one and the general unpleasantness of the Volvo service people, I will never buy another Volvo!