2001 Volvo S40 Consumer Review: Disappointed!

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Review

Disappointed!
By Malinda on

2001 Volvo S40 SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My dad gave me this car after my mom drove it for a while. It's really great looking but I constantly had problems with it. The warranty never covered anything except my alternator, and it sat at the dealer for 1 month before it could be fixed. The check engine/service lights on constantly. Brakes and tires wore out way too early. I tried to trade in and was only offered $2500 for it (the AC finally went out and it was way too much to fix it). Literally in the shop once a month. The guys at the dealership know me on a first-name basis b/c I'm there so much! Too bad, but it's so cute on the outside! And the cupholder? Seriously? You have to take out your drink to change CDs!

Favorite Features

10 gallon tank means it's not too expensive to fill up (but you have to use mid-grade - boo!). Great power/ acceleration. Awesome body design.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder!! So expensive to fix! One clip on my sunroof broke and it was $350 to fix?! The reliability of this super safe car is J-O-K-E! Not worth the price tag because you cannot resell it. Also, I would pay $50 to have check engine light turned off, and it would come on 2 days later - twice!