2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews 9

2001 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

2001 S40 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Run and never look back !
By 1tickedmom

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When I choose the Volvo S40 I believed that I was purchasing a safe and reliable car with top-notch customer service. WRONG! What a lemon. The paint on the car is chipping off. The power adapter in the car has failed 4times and the service light comes on for no apparent reason(the dealership can never find anything wrong)SRS light has come on 3times in six months and the air bag system had to be replaced twice. The cup holder over the cd player is a joke and the cup holder in the back pulls right(it is currently laying on the back floor of the car). The A/C NEVER gets cold enough (dealer says checks out OK) but I'm sweating it out.Bottom line, Run and never look back.

Don't buy this car!
By Dave T

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

*The brakes and rear rotors wore through after only 20,000 miles. The factory admitted a bad brake pad compound. My cost $500! *The electonic gas gague would read empty when it had over a third of a tank of gas left in it. The dealership sent me away once and said that that was "normal". * The radio didn't recieve AM stations. I had to replace the radio *The cup holder spring broke two days after I bought the car. * At 23,000 I started hearing a loud knock from the under carriage when I braked at slow speeds. *The noise inside the cockpit started increasing significantly after only 24,000 miles

cupholder
By buzilita

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really enjoy driving the S40. It's very comfortable and sporty looking. It has a lot of trunk space and handles well.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder should be moved somewhere else other than above the cd player... In order to change cd's you have to close the cupholder... It's an inconvenience.

Perfect Car!!!!!
By dr.wildcard

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Very Great car, great engine. Perfect acceleration, easy to handle!

Favorite Features

Almost a race car!!

Suggested Improvements

Need improving the interior

s 40
By dave n

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

leased in nov 2000, great lease deal. 22,500 miles so far dealer replaced rear brake pads and head light under warranty very pleased with dealer service already told my salesman i'm interested in an S60 turbo

Favorite Features

turbo, leather , safety equipement

Suggested Improvements

move the cup holder someplace,anyplace but wheres its at.

S40 2000
By vonts

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Nice car except: 1. Paint on the hood leaches off when you wax it. Super soft paint still arguing over getting the hood repainted. 2. It's been in the shop twice for warranty work, nothing that stranded me, but still. 3. Better than the normally aspirated S60, I had one as a loaner while mine was in the shop and for that much money the dash and switches are cheaply done.

Favorite Features

leather seats, wood trim, look of the car

Suggested Improvements

get the bugs fixed, the car has been in production since 1995 in Europe and initally offered in 2000 in the US

Happy with my S40
By gurgstar

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned the 2001 S40 for about a year and a half. Contrary to many of the other reviews (many of which pertain to the 2000 model anyway, which I know had more issues), I haven't had any service problems with mine, aside from the "Check Engine" light coming on once. The car handles well, and the engine is powerful (though my previous car was a V6 and I do miss the V6 a bit). My only complaint would be the that the interior controls (climate and radio) are poorly designed.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the climate and radio controls, update the exterior a bit to look more modern.