Used 2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
FUN
By krick on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great fun car for the price range. Reliable w/no problems whatsoever.

headache
By sadvolvo on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

i don't even know where to begin with my s40's problems. the breaks need to be replaced a second time (at 20K). srs light has been on several times and air bag has been replaced. i have had problems with the air conditioning, check engine light, trunk lock, gas door motor, heated seat light, headlight, and more in less than two years. and sometimes the car won't start. i thought i was investing in a safe and reliable vehicle. lesson learned.

BOUGHT A VOLVO BUT GOT A LEMON
By jaykap on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car for my wife. Thought Volvo meant reliability and safety. Headlights had to be replaced 4 times. Check engine light would never go off. Brakes wore out after 15,000 mi. Ashtray door jammed shut. Cupholders were an afterthought. Tires wore down after 20k miles and had to be replaced. This car became very high maintainance. I've had less trouble with my Jag. Don't buy this if you need a reliable car. I never got response from Volvo North America after I wrote them 3 times about my c

LUVIT
By TIQSURF on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love this car. Very reliable with enough getup to get on the freeway easily thanks to the turbo. Great mileage in town and out of town as well. I love the style and all the safety features as well.

definitely unique
By lami on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

if you're looking for an affordable sedan that doesn't look like a taurus or camry, this volvo is your best bet on the US market. this car has been manufactured in the netherlands since 1996, but it's look and feel are still very fresh around here. and do not get scared by the small size of the engine. no matter in what situation you'll be, this cute volvo is going to move fast and without much effort. mileage is good, performance adequate, the interior design beats all the cheap american/japanese kitch styles invading the market today.

Love my S40
By AllisonM on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I think this is a great, fun car. I have always wanted to own a Volvo and thought I'd never be able to afford anything better than an used 40. When I learned that they had introduced a sub-30K product, I ran to the dealership and dumped my 3-year old Subaru Outback.

T-4
By Oskar on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I do not own an S40 but I have had the opportunity to test drive a few of them at several occasions. I have been to Sweden and driven two different versions, the S40 T-4 and the V40 2.4T. If the S40 T-4 was ever to come to the States, buy it! It is an incredible driving experience. It is super fast (240 km/h) and its performance would knock out many in its class, for example the Jetta VR6.

Run as fast as you can!!!
By Regreting it! on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I leased my 2001 S40 in November 2000 and it has been in for service 16 times. Problems started the first month. The check engine light had to be reset 3 times before a compression pump was replaced, 3 recalls AFTER the problems were fixed, the air conditioner broke, the radio broke, new brakes after 17000 miles, the paint on my hood has scrub marks on it, my gas gauge NEVER reads full eventhough it is, the fabric between my windshield and side window is unraveling, and the pan under my engine rattles during fast acceleration. But, there is good news, my cup holder still works.

Love my S40
By LizAnd on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car for a long commute! This car is so responsive and tight. My husband drives a 2002 Passat, and recently drove my car on a long trip. He could not get over the quick acceleration and fun ride. His car is an absolute slug in comparison. I also get about 5 more MPG on the freeway than he does. It's a little small on the inside, but perfect for my needs, as I rarely have passengers. I wouldn't recommend it for a family sedan, but as a DINK car (double income, no kids), it really fits the bill. Reliability has been excellent, and service at my dealership is so stellar, I wouldn't dream of taking it anywhere else.

great first car
By donaldduck on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

5 speed auto is excellent. Very economical.