2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Could be made better
By jackbuc on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car handles well, however, there are problems. One, the doors are way to light. The paint could be of a better quality. The tires are below average. The engine is excellent but the steering and brakes are not up to par. I will need brake pads after 15,000 miles. The radio is OK but the cup holder is totally in the wrong place. Excellent pick up and fun to drive. If you are thinking of getting a volvo don't be cheap and get the s80.

Drives likes a truck
By juanag on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Handling: choppy, bumpy ride. Have to hang onto the wheel in curves to keep it tracking. Reliability: one check engine incident. Rear brakes needed relining after 8,000 miles. Stopping distance is not that great, either. Dealer took 2 years to fix malfunctioning driver's window!

My first Volvo
By Kevin S40 on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first Volvo, and likely won't be my last. From the minute I test drove it, I had a clear impression of just how solid and stable the car was. The S40 had substantially less turbo lag than my previous car- a 98 Audi A4. In general, the driving experience felt tight, as a European car should.

I love my Volvo S40
By youareslow on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I leased the S40 after comparing it to a Jetta GLS. The Volvo came out to be $10 more a month for the same term and down payment. I'm glad I paid the extra 10 bucks. I love the Volvo. It is a solid car with a lot of zip and is reasonable on gas. The interior is top quailty and the fit and finish is great. The only problem I have had in the first 20k is one of the head lamps went out. The dealer replaced both under warranty and the service was great. If you are looking for something a little different this is a great car.

Volvo?
By Volvo? on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am both alarmed and glad to read the other reviews and see other similiar problems, I am not alone. Our breaks are beginning to squeak at 13,000 miles, the driver side door wind noise has always been abnormaly loud, there are a few areas on the car that the clear coat appears to be coming off, and last but not least the cruise is failing periodically.

so many nay sayers !
By venus on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I Live in Germany, AutoBahn speeds ! I have owned this car since April 2001. Break in drivinig was from Gothenburg Sweden to Germany, 500 miles at 90+ never an issue. I drive her at a 80-90 mph average every day to and from work. Have yet to encounter any problems. She handles great at high speed, has the power when needed. And out ran a few 3 series BMW's and V6 3.0 Alfa Rameos. I have replaced the tires, my own fault. Breaks my own fault. other than that my dealership is great and look forward to driving her for years to come. I must admit the cup holders were an after thought. Price is fair and the style is classy.

A little pricey, IMHO.
By Tom in Nor Cal on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall it's been a reliable, fun little car. I've read some of the horror stories from other reviews, I haven't experienced any of these. I bought the S40 and a Cross Country the same day. Volvo of Pleasanton, CA has a great sales stff but go elsewhere for service, trust me! The only problem I've had with the car is the shift-lock mechanism getting stuck.

GREAT DRIVE, REPAIR FREQUENT
By ANGRY/NOW I'M MAD on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I like the way the car handles, but disappointed with inferior parts. Headlights BRAKES (last 15,000 mi), no auto trunk, window motors, air conditioner leaks on inside, recalls. Had several repairs, some my fault, other have been under warranty, I'm at 30,000 mi, what happens at 48,000 mi when warranty expires, I stuck, right?I purchased a volvo for longevity, reliability and safety, instead I got a car I can only sell at a loss and fear of expensive repairs after the warranty expires

High Maintenance
By Disgruntled on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle will cost you oodles in maintenance costs. You will need rear brake pads every 12K-15K miles ($178), and front pads every 25K-30K miles. That means with every scheduled service you can add at least $180 extra for brake pads. Very disappointing! Also, headlamp burned out at 15K miles, and need to take the battery out to replace the bulb!

Smooth meets tight
By Car guy on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Thus far, my experience with the S40 has been completely rewarding. Notwithstanding the one problem I had with the passenger airbag being defective -- which is something I wouldn't really expect from a Volvo -- this car is an all-around gem. It combines tight european handling and turbo-charged power with excellent fuel economy and distinctive styling. Quality is clearly a cut above most any American car, and certainly better than any car in its price range (including the Accord, Passat, and Camry).