Used 2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Most Helpful|
Great car for the low cost
By Matt

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my Volvo for a couple of years now and I am getting ready to sell her (upgrade). I must say that this car was an incredible purchase, I bought the car so that I could use it as a travel car and ended up using it full time because it was such a nice car. I would recomend this vehicle to anyone that loves the luxury of nice product but does not have the money to get a BMW/Merc

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, gas mileage, controls, reliability... many more

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is in an odd spot.

Good car, bad cupholder
By Tristan

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My S40 is great to drive. It handles well, has nice acceleration, and is great when it comes to protection in a crash. It has had a few mechanical issues since I've had it. At around 87000 miles, the left front wheel bearings needed to be replaced. At about 88000 miles, and after getting into one accident, the cruise control quit. Took the Volvo dealership an hour to tell me that they didn't know what was wrong, got it fixed by a local mechanic in a few hours. Fuel pressure regulator gave out at 103000 miles, as did the spark plug cables. Check engine light is overzealous. Parts are very expensive if you get into a crash or break a lens for the lights. Otherwise, this is a great car!

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, great crash safety, great handling, nice sound system

Suggested Improvements

Other than fixing the poorly designed cupholders (and maybe adding two more...two cupholders in a car that seats five? seriously?), the parts could be cheaper, and the fuel pressure regulator could be a bit more reliable (lots of people have it die)

Avoid S-40
By rilster

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 2009, second owner, it had 135,000 miles now has 175,000. Carfax showed always serviced at Volvo dealer. Problems started within weeks of purchase and in three and a half years; Sunroof shade out of track, bad plugs, engine mounts replaced, both engine coils replaced, cv joint replaced, blown head gasket, new radiator, o2 sensors, catalytic converter, Cvvt valve leaking oil, cvvt valve sensor clogged, climate control problems, radio problems, window regulator, over $4000.00 in repairs in the past year. Transmission went out yesterday, done! I am aircraft mechanic and do much work myself. Oil changed regularly and I take care of vehicles I own...Never purchase a Volvo again.

Favorite Features

Seeing it towed away for the last time!

I was wrong.
By irunthis19

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So here I looked at all these reviews before buying the car, I thought "Man I wonder if these people are right.." But got the car anyway. It's a day later, and already I have to replace all fluids, flush everything, buy a new water pump, and replace the timing belt. The car has been perfectly kept before me, and only has 90,000 miles on it. Yet, I still find myself burning a hole in my pocket. Do Not Get This Car - Or you'll make the same mistake I did.

Favorite Features

The look of the car is flawless.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo needs to make their parts last longer. Especially for the prices we have to pay to fix everything.

A great car if you treat it right.
By Jesse Coley

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles on it. It's currently pushing 100,000 miles and I have had none of these problems other reviewers keep talking about. My brakes are FINE. The Check Engine light only comes on if I gun the engine while it is still cold, but then the light usually goes back off before the day is over. I had to replace the turbo when I first purchased the car, but I'm sure that's why it was for sale in the first place. Turbo cars have special needs. Synthetic oil and letting the engine idle a bit before shutting off the car is a MUST. I'm sure the previous owner didn't. Some people complain about bulbs burning out. The solution is to turn off the day-time running lamps.

Favorite Features

Tough little turbocharged engine. Great fuel mileage. Torque is superb. Heated orthopedic leather seats. 5-speed automatic transmission. Great stereo. Tons of safety features. Sporty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Not a thing. I even like the silly cup-holder. The new S40 is a great car, too.