Used 2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great Bang for the Buck!
By Eduardo

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

If you take care of this car, it will love you back. I've had only 1 minor electrical problem in 6 yrs. The car has zip, gets great gas mileage and is the safest car in its class. Airbags everywhere. The seats are the most comfortable of any car. Huge trunk. Stops on a dime and is a blast to drive! Much more fun and safe then any of the Japanese cars I've owned - Camry, Maxima.

TURBO! AIRBAGS! SEATS!

Clearly Europeans don't drink lattes while they drive because the cup-holder it terrible.

Disappointed!
By Malinda

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My dad gave me this car after my mom drove it for a while. It's really great looking but I constantly had problems with it. The warranty never covered anything except my alternator, and it sat at the dealer for 1 month before it could be fixed. The check engine/service lights on constantly. Brakes and tires wore out way too early. I tried to trade in and was only offered $2500 for it (the AC finally went out and it was way too much to fix it). Literally in the shop once a month. The guys at the dealership know me on a first-name basis b/c I'm there so much! Too bad, but it's so cute on the outside! And the cupholder? Seriously? You have to take out your drink to change CDs!

10 gallon tank means it's not too expensive to fill up (but you have to use mid-grade - boo!). Great power/ acceleration. Awesome body design.

Cupholder!! So expensive to fix! One clip on my sunroof broke and it was $350 to fix?! The reliability of this super safe car is J-O-K-E! Not worth the price tag because you cannot resell it. Also, I would pay $50 to have check engine light turned off, and it would come on 2 days later - twice!

Hated it
By not very happy

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A follow up on a previous review: Now I am at only@ 43k miles, transmission sometimes mis-shifts, service light always comes on! Check engine has been on and off for the past year! Both cup holders have self-destructed! Very strange noises come from engine compartment. Forget about holding coffee in the coffee cup holder because a) it will spill all over radio and console and b) it blocks radio and most of console controls.

Gas mileage, turbo.

Execute poor performing engineers!

Great Value for Money
By ahirebet

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent bang for the buck. I bought this certified pre-owned, so it came with a 6 year, 100,000 mile extended warranty. Even so, I only used that warranty once to fix a cracked ignition coil and all it cost me was a $50 deductible. Aside from that, the car has performed flawlessly in all four seasons. It rides and feels like the other european luxury sedans - heated leather seats, alloy wheels, sunroof, quiet interior etc, but at a much better price. The 1.9L turbo delivers plenty of zip without compromising highway mpg.

Heated leather seats, turbo, solid feel, reliability.

More and better designed cupholders up front. Availibility of manual transmission (since added), better city mpg (big difference between my city and hwy - 22-23 / 32-35).

A great car if you treat it right.
By Jesse Coley

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles on it. It's currently pushing 100,000 miles and I have had none of these problems other reviewers keep talking about. My brakes are FINE. The Check Engine light only comes on if I gun the engine while it is still cold, but then the light usually goes back off before the day is over. I had to replace the turbo when I first purchased the car, but I'm sure that's why it was for sale in the first place. Turbo cars have special needs. Synthetic oil and letting the engine idle a bit before shutting off the car is a MUST. I'm sure the previous owner didn't. Some people complain about bulbs burning out. The solution is to turn off the day-time running lamps.

Tough little turbocharged engine. Great fuel mileage. Torque is superb. Heated orthopedic leather seats. 5-speed automatic transmission. Great stereo. Tons of safety features. Sporty suspension.

Not a thing. I even like the silly cup-holder. The new S40 is a great car, too.