Used 2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Decent Car
By Name

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After driving several station wagons and the classic 240, I bought this car used in '05 w/ ext. warr. Frnt and back seat cup holders broke after 2 wks. Have replaced tires, ext lights numerous x, transmission, brakes & cruise control. Thank God for the ext. warr. Paint scratches incredibly easy - quite a nuisance. Frnt cup holder is in a bad place and poorly built. Glove box won't close all the way. Knobs for a/c & radio are cheap and the material chips off. Leather stains easily. Driver's headrest sits up too high for short ppl like me. It honestly pains me to say this but after driving Volvos for 20 years and having such a "lovely" experience with this one, I'm done with Volvos.

Turbo, acceleration, moon roof, size, fold down seats, tape deck!, safety (plenty of air bags), placement of dash controls...

More durable paint, leather and interior knobs are needed. Adjustable driver's head rest. Front cup holder design and placement is a joke.

Don't do it
By never again

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car was the biggest mistake I've made since my first marriage (and nearly as costly.) Constantly in need of repair and or maintenance. Everything from the sun roof to the brakes has needed attention. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the lights. Nearly $200 in bulbs in approximately 18 months! Can't finish without mentioning the cup holder - I seriously suspect is was designed by a team of monkeys. My recommendation to a prospective buyer is - don't.

The hot chick at the service center.

Copy somebody else's work. Seriously, you clearly don't get it.

Great Bang for the Buck!
By Eduardo

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

If you take care of this car, it will love you back. I've had only 1 minor electrical problem in 6 yrs. The car has zip, gets great gas mileage and is the safest car in its class. Airbags everywhere. The seats are the most comfortable of any car. Huge trunk. Stops on a dime and is a blast to drive! Much more fun and safe then any of the Japanese cars I've owned - Camry, Maxima.

TURBO! AIRBAGS! SEATS!

Clearly Europeans don't drink lattes while they drive because the cup-holder it terrible.

Disappointed!
By Malinda

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My dad gave me this car after my mom drove it for a while. It's really great looking but I constantly had problems with it. The warranty never covered anything except my alternator, and it sat at the dealer for 1 month before it could be fixed. The check engine/service lights on constantly. Brakes and tires wore out way too early. I tried to trade in and was only offered $2500 for it (the AC finally went out and it was way too much to fix it). Literally in the shop once a month. The guys at the dealership know me on a first-name basis b/c I'm there so much! Too bad, but it's so cute on the outside! And the cupholder? Seriously? You have to take out your drink to change CDs!

10 gallon tank means it's not too expensive to fill up (but you have to use mid-grade - boo!). Great power/ acceleration. Awesome body design.

Cupholder!! So expensive to fix! One clip on my sunroof broke and it was $350 to fix?! The reliability of this super safe car is J-O-K-E! Not worth the price tag because you cannot resell it. Also, I would pay $50 to have check engine light turned off, and it would come on 2 days later - twice!

Hated it
By not very happy

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A follow up on a previous review: Now I am at only@ 43k miles, transmission sometimes mis-shifts, service light always comes on! Check engine has been on and off for the past year! Both cup holders have self-destructed! Very strange noises come from engine compartment. Forget about holding coffee in the coffee cup holder because a) it will spill all over radio and console and b) it blocks radio and most of console controls.

Gas mileage, turbo.

Execute poor performing engineers!