2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
2001 s40
By sallie on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

i test drove the bmw 3 series, the acura cl, and the audi a4. i chose the volvo because of the way it handled. i also felt as though the vehicle was more substantial--less glass and more metal.

Maintenance Headache
By JPP on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I leased this car for my wife. Was looking for something that wouldn't be a headache. Since we've had it the interior lights, headlights and fuses constantly blow out on a rotating schedule. My wife drives like a grandma so we didn't have to replace the brakes until 20k. The tires are worn out now at 24k. We had it in the shop three times to get the horn to work correctly. And the two right rims are bent without any major bumps. I thought we had a lemon until I read all these other reviews. Can't wait for the lease to be over...

Dressed up Ford
By JoJo on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Car constantly has "Check Engine" light illuminated. New brake pads at 25k miles...ridiculous! Dealer claims it's b/c of superior braking abilities and not under warranty....ha! Roger Beasley Volvo less than customer friendly. Offered me $10k less after 1 year when I tried to upgrade into S70 XC...what a joke.

2001 VOLVO S40
By BUD MASTERSON on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

WE HAVE 0 PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR SINE OWNERSHIP(LEASED). IT IS QUITE QUICK AND EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE-FOR AVERAGE SIZED PEOPLE.AIR CONDITIONING,BRAKES,PICKUP,STORAGE, ARE ALL REALLY GRTEAT. THE ONLY DOWNSIDES ARE IS THE ENGINEERING OF THE RADIO,CONTROL UNITS & PLACEMENT OF CUP HOLDER-

LOVE IT
By g75401 on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my S40 to be a work car. I drive 90 miles round trip, mostly highway, and wanted a car with better fuel economy than my Expedition. So far, the Volvo fits the bill. It's very fun to drive and gets great gas mileage. I compare it to a Scirroco VW I had in the early 80's...very peppy without the requirement of needing to sleep in the back seat overnight on the side of the road due to breakdowns!!! Plus, my stepson has already informed me he likes it more than his dad's S60!!

Competent but not outstanding
By Canuck2003 on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it 1 year old from the Volvo dealer and paid 20% less than if we had bought it new. Excellent value at that price. Pretty good acceleration and handling, although the ride can be a bit stiff on irregular surfaces. Engine a bit noisy at low (parking lot) speeds. Braking is excellent, although I agree with other reviewers that they wear down prematurely. Well-designed interior; e.g. hook on the left passenger's side (on which to hang a jacket)is placed so that the blind spot is not obstructed. Cruise control is easy to use. Cup holders though are useless. Not as well built as the A4 but we paid much less than the A4.

Avoid It!
By alibi on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Headlight burnout, brake replacement, constant check engine lights, unexplained alarm problems and most recently a windshield crack -- all add up to a very disappointing experience. The cupholders block the radio, the radio controls are diabolical, the headlights project a strange, ribbed pattern and, on a sunny day, most of what you see in the windshield is a reflection of the top of the dashboard. Add a miserable dealer (Penkhus in Colorado Springs). Volvo should be ashamed.

see for yourself its one great car
By happydude on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

well, to sum it up quik. this car is no BMW 3-seris, or audi A4 as far as overall performance but it close. It lacks some ablity in cornering compared to these car. safety. It's better than both. roomyness, I front is fine, but if your tall than 5'11" you might be cramped the the rear seats. the car is built the a German tank. I own a chevy truck and it just as solid. There is also a ton of aftermarket upgrades for the car. upgraded it can d 0-60 in 6.2 sec, compared to 8.2 stock.

s40
By Aijaz on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The s40 is a good car. The acceleration is quick, the ride smooth and the front seats so comfortable. My only problem was a window that didn't work for a month. the dealer said he would fix it although he never got back in touch like he said he would.

read the other reviews first
By volvofrom orlando on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The paint is cheap, the location and function of the front and rear cupholders is bad, the headlamps burning out after 14,000 miles and the brakes experiencing frequent wear were unexpected. I also have been in to the dealer many more times than you would plan from a Volvo. Mysterious check engine lights, tires and rims that need to be completely replaced after minor/small impacts with potholes. The service department is always very nice, but why is it they always run out of Volvo loaners right before I get there? I end up seeing the "Enterprise" guy in the lobby and enjoy the hint of smoke- ridden Chevy Malibu for the day.