Used 2001 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Bad Car Days
By Lake Jackson Tx.

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Paint flecking off. Paint scratches easily. Freshly shampooed hair stains the interior. Some kind of coating on interior knobs is coming off and they are sticky. Lightbulbs inside and outside of car are forever going out. Steering rack replaced twice. Air condition will blow hot or cold high and low whenever it feels like it. Check engine light is always on. Problems with the radio. Cruise control works when it feels like it. Console lid is broken. Front cup holder is a joke. Overall do not buy this car! The parts for this car are way over priced.

The front grille.

Do yourself and your family a favor stay away from this and any other Volvo products.

Do not buy this car!
By Emily

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned. It was 3yrs old and had only 35k mi., but almost immediatly I began having problems - from the steering wheeling vibrating, brakes needing to be replaced, having to replace the entire sunroof, and varous engine parts failing. As soon as the warranty was up, I started taking it other places, but eventually was sent back to a dealer when my check engine light would not go off. Volvo informed me they could try a download to the car's computer, but warned me this occassionaly resulted in the computer freezing and the car becoming unusable, and it would be my expense to fix.

The seats are definitely the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in.

I agree with what everyone else has said about the cup holder. However, no matter how much they've improved this car, after my terrible experiences with this one and the general unpleasantness of the Volvo service people, I will never buy another Volvo!

Great Vehicle
By Keith

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well, now I have 150,000 miles on it, yes, 150K! I don't know what people are talking about but I have not had a single issue with this car yet! I got it at 81K and knew that it would last, and it did. Yes, the cup holders are awful, but if you are like me and not like to have picnic in your vehicle, you will be just fine. I still average 28mpg with the ac running here in San Diego. If this car goes to junk, I would buy one again for about 7000 bucks. Beats buying a Civic as these are very very safe cars. The only issue I had was to change the coil wire which ran about 70 bucks! Just go and buy one, if it feels good, then it must be the right car.

Safety and reliability, great exterior styling.

Back seat is too small for passangers when I drive

Wouldn't ever buy a Volvo again.
By KWall

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my Volvo for almost 5 years now (purchased it when it was 2 yrs. old). Have had many problems with the check engine light coming on. Had to replace an oxygen sensor a total of 8 times! Recently the electric components of the headlight broke, and it cost $1550 to repair! Volvo parts are extremely expensive, and the electric components of the car are too sensitive. The upkeep of this car is so expensive that I will never buy a Volvo again.

Drives well, still looks good even though it's 7 years old

Electric components are too sensitive. Cup holders poorly placed/not very functional. Not a good car for tall people to drive.

Only 7.7 years not for life
By AJFH

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased this car after seeing it in France in the summer of 2000. We were first impressed by its ride, peppy motor and looks. We thought the car would last well beyond a estimated 10 years..oops big mistake. It is no better than a Chevrolet when it comes to reliability. Numerous visits to the shop for all kinds of repairs. Luckily we bought the 100000 mile warranty. Since it ended in August 2007 over $3000 in repairs have been done and its still doesn't run well. The engine light is continually on. It's just become a headache.

Peppy, fun to drive.

Volvo did the right thing. They dropped the 4cyl turbo.