2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Best used value S-40ASR turbo
By Volvo for Life on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I do agree with some people here.If you buy a fully loaded model topping $27800 with all the options you don't want to have any problems and glitches like burning lights or brakes.It is still a best deal in the used sport luxury european sedan category.You have to drive normal and don't abuse it.I love this car,but you have to lubricate brakes ,especially if you drive in salty,cold weather.Handling is superb.Once again you have to buy them used for $9700-11500 range to really enjoy it.It worth this money all the way.Luxury European small sports sedan.

Very Disappointed
By Unhappy in Ottawa on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Very poor quality. Engine light kept going on unitl Volvo finally replaced O2 sensor 2 years later. Brakes and tires wear out prematurely. It seems like at every service appointment I must replace the front or rear brakes, not only the pads but also the discs and rotors. Trunk lock and gear shift knob had to be replaced. The worst part is that after 3.5 years the paint started peeling off the car in the area around all 4 wheel wells and where the fenders meet the bumbers. It is clear that this car, which was made in the Netherlands at a factory shared by Volvo and Mistsubishi has a lot more Mitsubishi than Volvo in it. Overall, I am extremely disappointed.

Be prepared for monthly repairs
By jgookassian on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Date-Odometer-Service 6/5/01-4847-Fuel gauge is not reading 9/10/01-7284-Replaced a door molding 5/30/02-14706-replaced front washer valve 8/8/02-16536-Replaced the rear brake pads 3/8/03-23553-Takes 2-3 tries to start the car. Performed speed sensor update 3/19/03-24503-Takes 2-3 tries to start the car. Could not reproddyce 5/30/03-28186-Replaced all light bulbs 7/8/03-30247-Turbo oil return tube leaking. Replaced front brake pads 7/31/03-31586-Install SOP oxygen sensor, install updated wiring harness 9/16/03-34079-Replaced front oxygen sensor 12/9/03-37319-Transmission internally slipping. Replaced the transmission. Continued below.

All I ever asked for!
By MY S40 on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My S40 is exactly what I wqas looking for...no problems thus far, EXCEPT the trunk light went out...no biggie. The car has great handling and acceleration

Nice little car
By Manimal on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really like the S40. My mom got it last summer but then gave me the car and traded my jeep for a BMW. Its got a great engine that will pull into the triple digits with relative ease. It rides really smoothly at any speed. My only complaints- the stereo can get muddy when at absolute max volume, the cupholder sucks, and the leather wears down and stains too easily.

Guess I'm luckier than I thought
By JenDM on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I haven't been extremely thrilled with my first Volvo, but after reading these reviews, I guess I'm doing better than I thought. The clear coat on my car is trashed--every time a bird poops on it, there's a permanent spot, and I have found that the interior fabric stains even if it's just a water spot. The plastic molding along the bottom of the car is constantly loose. The car has been reliable for me and I enjoy driving it, but with the paint quality, I just can't see this car looking good for the long haul.

Loved it the FIRST year
By Jen G. on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car was great until I hit 23,000 miles with it. That is when the back brakes needed to be replaced and also the tires. Of course none of this stuff is handled under warranty. I leased the vehicle specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with these types of repairs but no such luck. I also think this car is a little sensitive to normal bumps in the road.

Peppy Car Heavy On Safety
By RandyK on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really enjoy the S40; it was quite peppy with excellent breaking for my driving style. I was especially impressed with the parking breaks grip on steep hills; no pressure against the transmission. I have had several of the problems others had: check engine light, brake/tire wear and headlight blowout. The check engine light was a recall upgrade, the headlight bad luck. The tires/breaks were understandable. Performance rated tires higher than 'H' wear on all cars at 12-15K. Cheaper tires will last to 45K. Swift breaking usually means fast wear. I'll pay the extra for safety, as luxury cars in general are not cheap to upkeep.

never buy this car
By volvohater on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Since we leased this car, it has been in the shop 47 DAYS! The check engine light keeps going on and off, there are many rattles in the headliner, and when the dealer tried to fix this, they caused a leak to start in the roof. The car even came with a defect, a bad turbo hose that caused the car to stall randomly. The front brakes and rotors needed replacement after 21000 miles, the rear brake pads much earlier than that. The sunroof leaked, the antenna broke, and the dealer never had the parts on hand to fix the car.

Hate it, but guess I'm lucky
By Hating it... on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Replace both brake pad sets at 31K ($330) - 90% worn and threatening rotors (no warning from dealer at 15K check-up); Head, tail and dash lights blown out; Turbo fuel line leaking; Poor customer service at dealer - Volvo of Carlsbad, CA. All, a mockery considering we're talking VOLVO.