Used 2001 Volvo S40 SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Avoid S-40
By rilster

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 2009, second owner, it had 135,000 miles now has 175,000. Carfax showed always serviced at Volvo dealer. Problems started within weeks of purchase and in three and a half years; Sunroof shade out of track, bad plugs, engine mounts replaced, both engine coils replaced, cv joint replaced, blown head gasket, new radiator, o2 sensors, catalytic converter, Cvvt valve leaking oil, cvvt valve sensor clogged, climate control problems, radio problems, window regulator, over $4000.00 in repairs in the past year. Transmission went out yesterday, done! I am aircraft mechanic and do much work myself. Oil changed regularly and I take care of vehicles I own...Never purchase a Volvo again.

Seeing it towed away for the last time!

Love my S40!
By woodsprite53

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow - saw all these bad reviews.Too bad. Bought my 2001 S40 used in January 09 - just under $5,000. I love this car. Turbo...broooommmm. Mechanical, nothing outside of regular maintenance or wear and tear...even very little there. Only "problem" is the fan blower for the climate control does not work on "2" setting so you either go with very low at 1 or with 3...no problem. Had to replace her battery last week...okay it is a 10 year old car. Replaced the timing belt at the interval recommended in the maintainance manual. In about 2 years I will be looking at a "new" used car...it will be a 2006 or newer Volvo S60 or 80. S40 has been great but she has small interior. Love this car.

Turbo...broooom. Sunroof...ummmmm. Nice wheels.

Better cup holder in front and back.

Good Car
By Rusty

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After 90k miles and 5 years, our used off-lease 2001 volvo S40 is still a very reliable car. While under warranty, we had to replace the Climate Control system and a coil spring broke, but it always starts and gets us where we need to go. Bought it with 33k miles, now has 124k miles and it still runs great. It's like having a BMW but without the BMW pricetag and with Volvo reliability. I anticipate we'll drive ours until 200k miles easily.

peppy turbo engine, 33 mpg consistently (low 29, high 36), comfortable seats.

move the dashboard drink holder

Only 7.7 years not for life
By AJFH

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased this car after seeing it in France in the summer of 2000. We were first impressed by its ride, peppy motor and looks. We thought the car would last well beyond a estimated 10 years..oops big mistake. It is no better than a Chevrolet when it comes to reliability. Numerous visits to the shop for all kinds of repairs. Luckily we bought the 100000 mile warranty. Since it ended in August 2007 over $3000 in repairs have been done and its still doesn't run well. The engine light is continually on. It's just become a headache.

Peppy, fun to drive.

Volvo did the right thing. They dropped the 4cyl turbo.

Disappointed!
By Malinda

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My dad gave me this car after my mom drove it for a while. It's really great looking but I constantly had problems with it. The warranty never covered anything except my alternator, and it sat at the dealer for 1 month before it could be fixed. The check engine/service lights on constantly. Brakes and tires wore out way too early. I tried to trade in and was only offered $2500 for it (the AC finally went out and it was way too much to fix it). Literally in the shop once a month. The guys at the dealership know me on a first-name basis b/c I'm there so much! Too bad, but it's so cute on the outside! And the cupholder? Seriously? You have to take out your drink to change CDs!

10 gallon tank means it's not too expensive to fill up (but you have to use mid-grade - boo!). Great power/ acceleration. Awesome body design.

Cupholder!! So expensive to fix! One clip on my sunroof broke and it was $350 to fix?! The reliability of this super safe car is J-O-K-E! Not worth the price tag because you cannot resell it. Also, I would pay $50 to have check engine light turned off, and it would come on 2 days later - twice!