Used 2001 Volvo S40 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great car its cheap but full of luxury and quality
By Travis R

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is great. Never had any issues with it other than general maintenance which is understandable at 82k miles. The car is cheap, yet it is a luxury car and it defiantly shows it. The seats are very comfortable, high quality leather throughout the whole car, even the new cars leather seats cheap out once you get to the back seat. Quality materials throughout, the cupholders are a joke but something pretty minor for a overall good car. It is safe with 8 air bags, comfy, and fun to drive. The motor has plenty of power, the acceleration is awesome, and the turbo is plus as well. Overall if the car is taken care of it will take care of you. I wouldn't doubt reaching 200k in this car in the future.

Miss it a lot
By prodigy1

I bought a 01 s40 with 30k miles on it and
NEVER gave me an ounce of trouble. I took very good care of it. The dealers always treated me great when I went in to do major maintenance, such as replace turbo o-rings and timing belt. The dealer prices where not bad at all. It's sad to see so many people had such bad luck with theirs. Unfortunately a year ago my wife fell asleep and flipped it over a couple of times but it's a volvo and her and the kids walked away with only seat belt burns. It had 135k miles on it and ran like it was new. I highly recommend this car to anyone. And not all but most of what I'm reading in other reviews that are "complaints" are wear and tear maintenance items.

Love the looks and drivability.

More then one cup holder up front and not in front of the radio please

Love my S40
By bbqbandit

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car two years ago and it has been a dream. Incredible power and fuel economy. Body is in amazing condition with no rust and it's so much fun to drive.

Sun roof, power band!

I was wrong.
By irunthis19

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So here I looked at all these reviews before buying the car, I thought "Man I wonder if these people are right.." But got the car anyway.

It's a day later, and already I have to replace all fluids, flush everything, buy a new water pump, and replace the timing belt.
The car has been perfectly kept before me, and only has 90,000 miles on it. Yet, I still find myself burning a hole in my pocket.
Do Not Get This Car - Or you'll make the same mistake I did.

The look of the car is flawless.

Volvo needs to make their parts last longer. Especially for the prices we have to pay to fix everything.

Not too bad so far.
By kdooms94

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had a couple issues with the car. I replaced the brakes and rotors when i bought it, but that was my choice. The check engine light is almost always on, but I just ignore it as the car still runs fine and gets great fuel economy without it. I blew a radiator hose a while ago, but that isn't unexpected on a car that is 12. And i blew a brake hose, which also isn't uncommon on a car that is that age, as i have friends with fords, and toyotas, and hondas who have also experienced similar issues. My recommendation is to use high grade fuel when you can, as the car starts really hard and runs rough on regular fuel, and probably contributes to many of the problems others have listed.

Fuel economy is one of my favorites, the city isnt to great with me, i get about 21 mpg, but i do drive with a lead foot. However on the highway it is fantastic. I get at least 38 mpg at higher speeds. I also love the seats and how the ride feels, you can really tell you are in a luxury car when you are riding in the s40.