2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Avoid S-40
By rilster on 02/17/12 04:04 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 2009, second owner, it had 135,000 miles now has 175,000. Carfax showed always serviced at Volvo dealer. Problems started within weeks of purchase and in three and a half years; Sunroof shade out of track, bad plugs, engine mounts replaced, both engine coils replaced, cv joint replaced, blown head gasket, new radiator, o2 sensors, catalytic converter, Cvvt valve leaking oil, cvvt valve sensor clogged, climate control problems, radio problems, window regulator, over $4000.00 in repairs in the past year. Transmission went out yesterday, done! I am aircraft mechanic and do much work myself. Oil changed regularly and I take care of vehicles I own...Never purchase a Volvo again.

Love my S40!
By woodsprite53 on 11/05/11 05:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow - saw all these bad reviews.Too bad. Bought my 2001 S40 used in January 09 - just under $5,000. I love this car. Turbo...broooommmm. Mechanical, nothing outside of regular maintenance or wear and tear...even very little there. Only "problem" is the fan blower for the climate control does not work on "2" setting so you either go with very low at 1 or with 3...no problem. Had to replace her battery last week...okay it is a 10 year old car. Replaced the timing belt at the interval recommended in the maintainance manual. In about 2 years I will be looking at a "new" used car...it will be a 2006 or newer Volvo S60 or 80. S40 has been great but she has small interior. Love this car.

Good Car
By Rusty on 05/27/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After 90k miles and 5 years, our used off-lease 2001 volvo S40 is still a very reliable car. While under warranty, we had to replace the Climate Control system and a coil spring broke, but it always starts and gets us where we need to go. Bought it with 33k miles, now has 124k miles and it still runs great. It's like having a BMW but without the BMW pricetag and with Volvo reliability. I anticipate we'll drive ours until 200k miles easily.

Only 7.7 years not for life
By AJFH on 03/26/08 11:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased this car after seeing it in France in the summer of 2000. We were first impressed by its ride, peppy motor and looks. We thought the car would last well beyond a estimated 10 years..oops big mistake. It is no better than a Chevrolet when it comes to reliability. Numerous visits to the shop for all kinds of repairs. Luckily we bought the 100000 mile warranty. Since it ended in August 2007 over $3000 in repairs have been done and its still doesn't run well. The engine light is continually on. It's just become a headache.

Disappointed!
By Malinda on 08/12/07 06:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My dad gave me this car after my mom drove it for a while. It's really great looking but I constantly had problems with it. The warranty never covered anything except my alternator, and it sat at the dealer for 1 month before it could be fixed. The check engine/service lights on constantly. Brakes and tires wore out way too early. I tried to trade in and was only offered $2500 for it (the AC finally went out and it was way too much to fix it). Literally in the shop once a month. The guys at the dealership know me on a first-name basis b/c I'm there so much! Too bad, but it's so cute on the outside! And the cupholder? Seriously? You have to take out your drink to change CDs!

Hated it
By not very happy on 07/29/07 22:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A follow up on a previous review: Now I am at only@ 43k miles, transmission sometimes mis-shifts, service light always comes on! Check engine has been on and off for the past year! Both cup holders have self-destructed! Very strange noises come from engine compartment. Forget about holding coffee in the coffee cup holder because a) it will spill all over radio and console and b) it blocks radio and most of console controls.

Great Value for Money
By ahirebet on 05/24/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent bang for the buck. I bought this certified pre-owned, so it came with a 6 year, 100,000 mile extended warranty. Even so, I only used that warranty once to fix a cracked ignition coil and all it cost me was a $50 deductible. Aside from that, the car has performed flawlessly in all four seasons. It rides and feels like the other european luxury sedans - heated leather seats, alloy wheels, sunroof, quiet interior etc, but at a much better price. The 1.9L turbo delivers plenty of zip without compromising highway mpg.

reliability
By Goobs on 10/24/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've enjoyed this car it has made commuting fun again. Most people when they think volvo think safety or grandpas car, does your grandpas car have a zero to sixty in under 7 seconds. Great performance reliability and it's comfy too.

Money Pit
By NoVolvoNoMore on 05/27/05 17:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Ever see that movie "The Money Pit"? Well oue S40 is the $$$ pit. I leased this for my wife in 2001. The 1st winter the Winter mode drive locked up. The car was in the shop 2 weeks. The repair writer called to tell me that 2 engineers were coming in from Canada to look at our tranny. Like that's supposed to make you feel better. They replaced the tranny and ever since we've had a slight turbo lag. The steering squeeks, the right dash speaker grill pops up (seen on all 2001's), the side mirror button is wonky, the Service light always comes on, the AC is possessed by the devil. Every scheduled maint or oil change costs over $300. Next time we're buying a BMW.

Nice little car
By Manimal on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really like the S40. My mom got it last summer but then gave me the car and traded my jeep for a BMW. Its got a great engine that will pull into the triple digits with relative ease. It rides really smoothly at any speed. My only complaints- the stereo can get muddy when at absolute max volume, the cupholder sucks, and the leather wears down and stains too easily.