2001 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:
Miss it a lot
By prodigy1 on 10/10/13 11:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 01 s40 with 30k miles on it and NEVER gave me an ounce of trouble. I took very good care of it. The dealers always treated me great when I went in to do major maintenance, such as replace turbo o-rings and timing belt. The dealer prices where not bad at all. It's sad to see so many people had such bad luck with theirs. Unfortunately a year ago my wife fell asleep and flipped it over a couple of times but it's a volvo and her and the kids walked away with only seat belt burns. It had 135k miles on it and ran like it was new. I highly recommend this car to anyone. And not all but most of what I'm reading in other reviews that are "complaints" are wear and tear maintenance items.

Love my S40
By bbqbandit on 04/20/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car two years ago and it has been a dream. Incredible power and fuel economy. Body is in amazing condition with no rust and it's so much fun to drive.

I was wrong.
By irunthis19 on 12/19/12 15:08 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So here I looked at all these reviews before buying the car, I thought "Man I wonder if these people are right.." But got the car anyway. It's a day later, and already I have to replace all fluids, flush everything, buy a new water pump, and replace the timing belt. The car has been perfectly kept before me, and only has 90,000 miles on it. Yet, I still find myself burning a hole in my pocket. Do Not Get This Car - Or you'll make the same mistake I did.

Not too bad so far.
By kdooms94 on 05/03/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had a couple issues with the car. I replaced the brakes and rotors when i bought it, but that was my choice. The check engine light is almost always on, but I just ignore it as the car still runs fine and gets great fuel economy without it. I blew a radiator hose a while ago, but that isn't unexpected on a car that is 12. And i blew a brake hose, which also isn't uncommon on a car that is that age, as i have friends with fords, and toyotas, and hondas who have also experienced similar issues. My recommendation is to use high grade fuel when you can, as the car starts really hard and runs rough on regular fuel, and probably contributes to many of the problems others have listed.

what a decision
By mkoh55 on 03/14/12 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So I bought this car two years ago...thought I was getting a good buy but within a month I had problems. First, the service light came on and they told me I needed an oil change. Then the check engine light came on and had to replace and o2 sensor, then the thermastat, now spark plugs and wires, replaced two complete struts, one coil spring, now I am on another o2 sensor and ECT sensor. The check engine light seems to always be on and something seems to always be breaking. Horrible decision, intending on getting rid of it.

Not a great car
By awree5 on 03/01/12 16:10 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the vehicle last year with 62,000 miles on it. Being a Volvo, I thought it was reliable and a great buy. As soon as I pulled out of the lot check engine light went on and brought it back to get the spark plugs fixed. I recently just traded it in and I have had it less than a year! I had to replace brakes, check engine light would not turn off, blown turbo, two ball joints, shocks, and lastly to top it off there was a transmission problem after just four months of having it. Something broke every month and costs were just as much as I bought it for. Got rid of it with 78,000 miles god bless who ever gets one

Avoid S-40
By rilster on 02/17/12 04:04 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 2009, second owner, it had 135,000 miles now has 175,000. Carfax showed always serviced at Volvo dealer. Problems started within weeks of purchase and in three and a half years; Sunroof shade out of track, bad plugs, engine mounts replaced, both engine coils replaced, cv joint replaced, blown head gasket, new radiator, o2 sensors, catalytic converter, Cvvt valve leaking oil, cvvt valve sensor clogged, climate control problems, radio problems, window regulator, over $4000.00 in repairs in the past year. Transmission went out yesterday, done! I am aircraft mechanic and do much work myself. Oil changed regularly and I take care of vehicles I own...Never purchase a Volvo again.

Love my S40!
By woodsprite53 on 11/05/11 05:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow - saw all these bad reviews.Too bad. Bought my 2001 S40 used in January 09 - just under $5,000. I love this car. Turbo...broooommmm. Mechanical, nothing outside of regular maintenance or wear and tear...even very little there. Only "problem" is the fan blower for the climate control does not work on "2" setting so you either go with very low at 1 or with 3...no problem. Had to replace her battery last week...okay it is a 10 year old car. Replaced the timing belt at the interval recommended in the maintainance manual. In about 2 years I will be looking at a "new" used car...it will be a 2006 or newer Volvo S60 or 80. S40 has been great but she has small interior. Love this car.

Never Again...
By Car Owner on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Can't even begin to tell you how many problems I've had. Bought at 91k miles, now at 100k. Within this time have had the tensioner, timing belt, motor mounts, alternator, brakes, spark plugs, coils, pressure valve, and some other hose replaced. Would love to buy a newer car, but can't get approved so I pay the costs to fix this POS. Don't buy this car. Has been in and out of the shop every month for the past six months. COstly to fix.

Holy Cow, Where do I start.
By Grant on 07/13/10 13:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I saw many of the reviews on this site and said OMG, I have had the same problems. I got this car to go back and forth to college, boy it was a nightmare. OK we will go down the list. Sunroof needed to be replace upon driving it off the lot (sunroof leaked in water), suspension has a lot of noise, Check engine light comes on when it wants, AC comes on when it wants and doesn't work at intermediate speeds, constantly replacement of bulbs (especially headlights, twice a year and they are not cheap), paint chips easy, turbo line leaked causing a oil leak, constantly replacement of brake pads and rotors, poor braking, AWFUL Fuel economy (around 17 MPG) continues below in improvements section*