Used 2001 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo S40

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great car its cheap but full of luxury and quality
By Travis R

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is great. Never had any issues with it other than general maintenance which is understandable at 82k miles. The car is cheap, yet it is a luxury car and it defiantly shows it. The seats are very comfortable, high quality leather throughout the whole car, even the new cars leather seats cheap out once you get to the back seat. Quality materials throughout, the cupholders are a joke but something pretty minor for a overall good car. It is safe with 8 air bags, comfy, and fun to drive. The motor has plenty of power, the acceleration is awesome, and the turbo is plus as well. Overall if the car is taken care of it will take care of you. I wouldn't doubt reaching 200k in this car in the future.

2001 Volvo S40
By Alex

2001 Volvo S40 SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It drives really good, but it does have a few quirks. The AC and Heat has a mind of its own, it will blow fast and then slow at certain settings. My ceiling headliner is coming down a bit in the future I might have to repair it. Overall a great car and fun to drive!

Miss it a lot
By prodigy1

I bought a 01 s40 with 30k miles on it and
NEVER gave me an ounce of trouble. I took very good care of it. The dealers always treated me great when I went in to do major maintenance, such as replace turbo o-rings and timing belt. The dealer prices where not bad at all. It's sad to see so many people had such bad luck with theirs. Unfortunately a year ago my wife fell asleep and flipped it over a couple of times but it's a volvo and her and the kids walked away with only seat belt burns. It had 135k miles on it and ran like it was new. I highly recommend this car to anyone. And not all but most of what I'm reading in other reviews that are "complaints" are wear and tear maintenance items.

Love the looks and drivability.

More then one cup holder up front and not in front of the radio please

Love my S40
By bbqbandit

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car two years ago and it has been a dream. Incredible power and fuel economy. Body is in amazing condition with no rust and it's so much fun to drive.

Sun roof, power band!

I was wrong.
By irunthis19

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

So here I looked at all these reviews before buying the car, I thought "Man I wonder if these people are right.." But got the car anyway.

It's a day later, and already I have to replace all fluids, flush everything, buy a new water pump, and replace the timing belt.
The car has been perfectly kept before me, and only has 90,000 miles on it. Yet, I still find myself burning a hole in my pocket.
Do Not Get This Car - Or you'll make the same mistake I did.

The look of the car is flawless.

Volvo needs to make their parts last longer. Especially for the prices we have to pay to fix everything.