My lonesome 2000 Volvo S40
By avonbyval on
2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan
Once again, my poor Volvo sits and waits for my attention. Bought it 3 years ago with new engine. Absolutely love the way it drives and still do (but not at the moment). Replaced radiator last year. Have blinker problems sometimes. Last problem was weird; the car started to accelerate while we were driving in town, and when I went put it in park the rpms revved up, then turned off the engine. Later that evening we went out to eat and when we first parked, the car revved up again, then I turned the car off. When we came back out the car wouldn't start at all. Didn't sound like a typical timing belt issue, sounded more like it was out of gas. Towed car home. Car sits waiting for me:(
Favorite Features
All problems (which really are very few) aside, I absolutely love this car. It dashes around like a little sporty car should, and cleans up nice so people think at least that I'm not dirt poor. I fell in love with it at the mechanic's shop when I first saw it, and he wanted 4500 for it. I got him down to 3500 cash, and went for it. I was so impressed by the way it handled. Roomy enough for 2 in the front, 2 in the back. Typical Volvo boxiness was gone, however, with this model. Miss my boxy Volvos I do! Love the way it picks up in speed and smoothly zips in and out of traffic. Comfortable for the long haul too, as we live in the country and have to drive several miles into town.
Suggested Improvements
The cupholders could use a little tweeking and not be so cheap. My interior at least is not leather, and I wish it was. I got the basic car. I have no idea if it's a turbo or not, but since I haven't found a non-turbo 2000 S40, I believe it is. The passenger window switch is placed on the center console instead of on the passenger door, which really aggravates passengers trying to roll down their window. The switch is underneath the arm rest. Volvo was asleep when they did this. Other than that, I love the car so much it hurts given the fact it sits lonesome, waiting for a mechanic's attention once again.
By dfranko1
on 04/10/12 11:54 AM (PDT)

I have the same problem. It appears to be the temperature sensor and thermostat where the temperature sensor sends erroneous readings to the computer and runs the engine rich making it rev. It won't restart because the rich running floods the engine when you turn it off. If you wait a few hours it will usually start. The fix for me was to replace the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat which is fairly easy and inexpensive. I don't actually believe the thermostat causes the problem though, but I replaced it because you have to remove the thermostat housing to get to the coolant temp sensor anyway. I believe it is the sensor that actually causes the problem.

By nathinarbon
on 02/06/12 16:25 PM (PST)

ye i had that prob with my 2000 volvo s40 1.9 turbo one night i was at a red light and the car just started driving so i put in in nutreal and the rpm just flew up like 5000 rpm so i shut the car off well my dad is a mecanic so i got it towd to his shop and he said there was a pipe for the readater that expoled and he change one of the sensers now its back to normal