Used 2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )

My review
By Patrick Whitworth

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

VERY unhappy with the electrical as well as the climate control system.

Favorite Features

Power of the turbo.

Suggested Improvements

ELECTRICAL!

Bad News
By U.S. Marine

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased car in 1999, the 1st year model was offered. The car performed well the first 1 1/2 yrs of ownership although we needed 1st of 3 brake jobs at 8,000 mi. In 2001 the car turned into a lemon overnight. Head lamps failed premature. Brake pump failed which was followed up with recall 3 yrs later. The front/rear end started to crack and pop when making turns. As a result the dealership replaced front strut towers and found that eng. mounts were broken. Poping noise in the rear was caused by missing bushings in rear suspension. Dealership said bushings were left out at the factory. The check eng. light has been on more often than not. I'm tired of replac

Favorite Features

Impressed with the handeling, quick pick up and sport style.

Suggested Improvements

Not a true Volvo since it was built in the Netherlands with another automaker. If you own this model, get rid of it! If you are thinking about purchasing the 2000 S40, forget about it.

Nothing but trouble...
By Volvo Hater

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the shop too many times to count. We have almost replaced the whole car piece by piece. Just when we think we're finished, something else goes. Fuel pump first 7000 miles,numerous bulbs of every kind,sunroof twice,brakes,brakes,brakes,and headlight wipers. Oh,did I mention brakes? Brakes have failed and makes me feel unsafe. Lots of other repairs on miscellaneous parts. Our service dept. is terrible and the dealer won't help us out of the lease. We are counting down the months until we're out! This is one family that won't be buying another Volvo. Also, my daughter thinks it's ugly. Maybe because the paint is falling off.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable and warm...... Sorry, can't think of one other thing I like about this car.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!!!!!

always in the shop
By usedtobuyamerican

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Not counting tires or oil, maintenance costs: 2004 $1621 2003 $2182 2002 $797 Volvos apparently reach 200k miles by replacing everything on them periodically. Has left me stranded twice!

Favorite Features

Handles & stops well. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Make it at least as reliable as a Chevy.

110K Miles and Going
By DallasSteve

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I have personally put over 100K miles on this car in heavy traffic and on road trips and I have never regretted the purchase once. My service has been excellent, my reliability good and the car is without question a well performing small car. I have to say I understand the weiners, they just did not understand the car they purchased. There was a defect with the headlights which was completely fixed under warranty. The brake pads do wear quickly. Volvos have great brakes, they stop on a dime. Great brakes wear quickly, that's the trade-off. I would never trade my safety and breaking for saving a $100 in brake pads.

Favorite Features

It is safe and fun to drive, what else do you need?

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders in the center console are useless except to hold my garage door opener and the back seat is a little short on the leg room.