2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
Volvo.............NOT!
By Eyedoc on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for over a year and had to replace the brake pads twice. I've just about experienced every negative comment that is written in the reviews: from replacement of bulbs, wind noise, rattles, brakes, engine lights, etc. It is a great car in many ways, but the reliability is horrible. Although the S40 is cheaper than most of the foreign cars on the market when compared to BMW, Audi, MB etc..the cost of repairs and regular maintenance can be astronomical once the warranty expires. I would definetly not suggest this vehicle to anyone.

Excellent Car
By Sriniv on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am seeing so many bad reviews on this site and wondering why all these people are having so much trouble with this car while I had no problems at all - Well except the Check engine sign. I drive this car more than most people - 45K in less than 3 years. It is still as much fun to drive as it was on day one. In fact the engine seems to be getting smoother by the day. I take frequent long trips in this car (>6 hours) and I can honestly say the trips are comfortable. There are some interior design problems such as the front cup holder but it is not so bad that I would give it a 3 or 4 rating.

New Mom disappointed to give up Volvo
By New Mom disappointed on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Up until the day I had to put the infant carrier into the backseat, I loved my S40. It's stylish, peppy, and comfortable. Unfortunately, the car is too small to handle a carseat. The front seats have to practically be moved all the way up to accomodate it. My husband feels like he's driving a "go-cart" with the way he squashed in. We did have continuing trouble with the check engine light but a recall has seemed to correct that issue. The radio's reception is poor also. I have had it replaced once and this has not cleared up the issue.

Who are these people?
By Dogfight on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have no idea who is writing these reviews. This car has lived up to its reputation and has the get up it needs to be a solid sedan. All these complaints about blown lights?? Is this a scam to down grade the car value? My only complaint was an engine light that was fixed at the Volvo Dealership. If your taking your car to a neighborhood mechanic you get what you put into it.

Confused
By Jefferson6599 on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought my S40 with 13,450 miles, 2 years ago and must have gotten the only one made well. I blew one headlight before the recall for the wiring harness. The brake pads were changed, but that's normal wear and tear. Other than that just my routine 7,500 hundred mile service. The car isn't as bad as the reviews suggest. Most of the complaints were rectified on the 2001 model. I think Volvo owners just like to complain. The same types of complaints can be found on the brick board web site. I have enjoyed driving my S40.

Shame on Volvo makers
By displeased on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is the worse vehicle purchase of my entire life. the constant visits to the shop, brakes replacement, engine light comes on, noises in the dash. Constant replacment of the seals for oil problems, headlight replacements. being impressed with volvo's reputation made me purchase this car, but Volvo has really let consumers down on this model. Save yourself time and money, and move on to a better car purchase. The only great thing is the dealership is very kind they give you a loaner to drive until your vehicle is finish.

Volvo safe because its in the shop
By Myvolvosucks on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

My Volvo S 40 has been in the shop 5 times since I purchased it. First the right light bulb blew out due to a short then the left bulb same reason. Then the rear molding fell off the trunk which caused the trunk to get stuck. One leak in the engines seal, fixed it then another leak in the turbos seal. Plus things keep popping off on the dash. Im also not impress with the ride my pickup rides more comfortable. Some times when the sunroof is opened the wind deflector begins to flutter and makes a terrible noise.

Not all that great
By tnava on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have one more year to go and I am ready to get something else. I have had to replace the engine, front and rear brakes, and the headlamp bulbs numerous times.

Almost a lemon!!
By KQ on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car because of it's touted safety features. Well after almost 3 years I've had the air bags fixed, replaced the head lamps 3 times and have already changed all the brake pads. The other day the power brakes conked out and now I am getting a thumping noise. The service has been great I just wish I didn't have to take it in all the time. And, after the loss of the brakes I sure don't feel safe anymore.

Dont know what everyone else is driving
By jake! on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've been reading all these reviews about replacing the brakes and the bulbs and whatnot every month..i have had no problems with my car for all 2 years that i've had it..the only thing that even bothers me a little bit (reliability wise) is that the check engine light comes on when your really low on gas..other than that, i havent had any problems. I do agree with everyone however that the cupholders could have been much better placed.