Used 2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )

Volvo=Reliable??? Think Again....
By Auher

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've never been one to write car reviews, always sort of thought they are all the same enough that while you might have problems, they aren't too bad. Then I bought a 2000 Volvo S40 "Certified Pre-Owned." The problems started early on......the wonderful headlight problem. Volvo knows there was a problem was this, the resistor wasn't built into the car properly, and they issued a "Service Bulletin" on it. Amazingly, "Service Bulletins" aren't covered under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. So after burning through 3 sets of Pep Boys headlights in 1 month, I called up Volvo to make an appt. to get my S40's problem fixed. I thought since I even had the Service Bulletin, it would be easy

Comfortable Seats

Electrical system is a disaster, headlights burn through like water, brakes go out in 8,000 miles, Brakes thump, suspension is garbage

I thought it was a Volvo not a Chevy
By Mr.NolikeyVolvo

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Paint on the hood and roof looks like someone took a brillo pad to it. It is starting to bubble and peel, and has been garage kept and very rarely driven. Plastic molding strips along the rear window have popped out and even the dealership can't get them back in. Brakes went out once, and are on the way out now. Turbo replaced once, the interior design is horrible. Adjusting the seat angle by turning a knob, what's that about? The cup holder over the radio is another craptacular design that I could do with out. Thank God this isn't my car and I'm only driving it till my 91 trans am is out of the transmission shop.

Climate control works awesomely.

Stop letting the Ford bean counters sacrifice quality.

Still Happy... but have had problems
By HoustonS40

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in April of 2002 with 24K and have kept a log and records back to when it rolled of the lot new: 13,001 Miles replaced center caps on wheels; brake warning light on; 14,859 Check Engine light on; Headlight burned out; 20,258 Check engine light on; engine sluggish; brake pads replaced; 24,833 Check engine light on; center caps missing; engine mounts replaced; 24,920 Check engine light on; 25,279 PNP switch replaced; 27,231 replaced vac pump relay; 35,140 left and right front strut bearings replaced; 36,390 Battery replaced; 38,052 New Brake Pads; 42,931 shock absorber/strut replaced; 44,534 vacuum pump; 48,825 coolant sensor & turbo oil return line leaking.

I like having the Turbo as the car is zippy around town. The car is fun to drive.

2000 was the first year for this car in the US. I know that they have made fixes to many of the problems I had or am having in the later models. Improvements to the issues above would be nice.

VOLVO S40 happy owner
By mathias

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has an excellent response when speed and acceleration is needed. I have put this car at 137 MPH on Alligator Alley and it could have still kept going a tad more had I not cought up with traffic. Getting to 130 MPH is a breeze. Need a stretch to get to the 137 I put it to. Acceleration is very good. I have left more than 1 BMW 325 asking for a second chance. Response from mid speeds is also superb. The interior is suprisingly comfortable. It looks smaller outside but feels large inside, even in the backseets.It is more roomy than the A4 by far. The trunk is very generous as well. The car has had no problems, just regular service and it has 56,000 miles. Best car in its league.

Power, handling, Fun to drive and the luxury of any Mercedes in its class.

Would like power window buttons not only at the center for front driver but also on the door armrest. GPS would be nice. 16" wheels instead of the standadard 15" would improve handling on tight corners for those who really put the cars to the test regularly.

My first Volvo...won't be my last
By ColumbusS40

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I wanted a Volvo since I was a kid and was quite surprised when I got financed into an S40 at agreeable terms. The maintenance schedule is a little high, I must admit, but in my opinion it's worth it. In one year, I've put about 20,500 miles on the car. (This will go down as I moved closer to the city). Very comfortable, very solid, and fun to drive. Like it a lot but will upgrade to a station wagon (V70)when I can.

Strong, sturdy feel. Sport mode makes driving it even more fun and exciting. Gray leather interior with wooden- colored trim is gorgeous!

Cupholder above CD player...??? Brake dust can be bad, control layout improved on recent models, not perfect for 2000 (most minor complaint).