2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
Most Disappointed
By Disappointed in MI on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble since day one. Both brakes had to be replaced after one year. Struts were replaced, windows don't work, squeaky roof/sunroof. I'm in for repairs once per month. Volvo refused to admit there is a problem and will NOT assist me in getting me out of this lease. I have been loyal Ford consumer until I got this Volvo, but I had never had my Ford products in the shop other than for oil changes. Volvo expects the consumer to pay $350 to have a maintenance check after every 10,000 miles. NEVER AGAIN

S40 - The Brake Eater
By Brendan Kelly on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I write this on the eve of my 45,000 "tune up." Based on past experience, this is when they tell me that I need to replace all of my brakes and rotors, even though these were just replaced at 39,500. I'm so fed up with this car. The brakes, which I've replaced 3 times, cost about $500 each time. Also, a new warning light greets me about once a month. Those of you happy with your car are in for a rude awakening when you realize how much this piece of junk has depreciated in a short period of time. Check out Consumer Reports' "used cars to avoid list."

S40, 2 years later
By Banker John on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I never saw myself as a Volvo kinda guy. My S40 was a 'loaner' at the local dealer. Bought it with 4,000 miles on it - got a deal that was really hard to pass up. I've owned A LOT of different cars and I must say this S40 may be the most competent car I've ever owned. The longer I owned it the more things I've noticed about the car that I like. Sure, I've had the 'check engine' light problem, and it does burn up headlights, and I have had to replace the brake pads, but all things considered, these are pretty minor problems(and in the case of the headlights - inexpensive). I'll hit 50,000 miles this month - the car has never let me down.

I'm Eagely Letting Go of My Dream
By Fox on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought my S40 in 2001. I had always wanted a volvo and I figured that I should go ahead an get one. the brakes pads had to be replaced about a month after purchase. The lightbulbs go out to many times to count. there are some stranges squeaking noises coming from it. All in all I like my zippy car but my children cannot take the unrealisticly small backseat and the horrible interior designing and planning for buttons and cup holders not to mention the fact that it has created a lot of negative equity. I am looking for a way out.

I'm Eagely Letting Go of My Dream
By fox on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Definately not a lemon!
By volvomama on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned my S40 since it was brand new 3years now. True I have replaced my headlights,break pads and have had some oil leaks, but all was covered under warranty. Prior to my Volvo I drove and loved my BMW, but I had to downsize,yet wanted to have a car with a nice reputation and I think pricewise,the S40 was the right choice. Overall, I like my little Volvo,its quick and peppy and when its clean and waxed it looks rather nice. With a new baby (three kids total), I will admit its rather tight in the back. Two more years to pay off and I will consider the new SUV by VOLVO. Have some faith!

Out-of-Warranty!
By MartySullivan on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Happy w/car throught the warranty.Still had the check engine light,headlight, and brake problems. Now that the warranty is over and the dealer refuses to help this car is falling apart! I disagreed with all the negatives, I thought these would last past the warranty period, guess not. I will never buy Volvo again.

Positive Experience
By KHoffman on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

My car was a dealer loaner, so it was a year used when I bought it. This has been a great car for me, and I drive alot. I love the pick up of the turbo and I find the car comfortable to drive. I have replaced a few light bulbs, I have not had any major problems. My dealer has superior service which makes me like the car even more.

My Review
By Schmelter on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Had to replace rear brakes at 7500miles. Seats small and lack support. Feels like sitting on a bench. A lot of rattles and noises.

Excellent Car
By Sriniv on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am seeing so many bad reviews on this site and wondering why all these people are having so much trouble with this car while I had no problems at all - Well except the Check engine sign. I drive this car more than most people - 45K in less than 3 years. It is still as much fun to drive as it was on day one. In fact the engine seems to be getting smoother by the day. I take frequent long trips in this car (>6 hours) and I can honestly say the trips are comfortable. There are some interior design problems such as the front cup holder but it is not so bad that I would give it a 3 or 4 rating.