2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
Luv my baby Volvo, but...
By CR2 on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my s40 to replace a jeep. Have loved every minute of owning it. True, headlight problems twice, but repaired for free. Check engine light, also repaired....really minor problems. Hated the console design, but only after my golden retriever puppy pointed out the flaws. It's an attractive little car - always get compliments on it!!! Disappointed that it hasn't held its value....I'm concerned that the "Ford" name will cheapen the value. However, I plan to buy/lease a V70 to accommodate the 2 dogs, potting soil, trips to Home Depot, etc. I don't need a gargatuan, gas guzzling suv and feel that the V70 is a perfect inbetween vehicle.

Happy with my Volvo
By ex-BMW Owner on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had previously owned a 1987 BMW 325 series and LOVED it! I was the original owner (13 years) and it had 270,000 miles on it. I was sure that I would buy another BMW. A friend of mine was buying a pre-owned VOLVO and he saw the S40 in the showroom and immediately thought of me. I instantly liked it. I now have almost 60,000 miles on the car. I have replaced the brakes twice and the headlights 2 or 3 times, the battery (April 2003) and tires (May 2003). Overall, I am very pleased with the car and I hope to keep it another 7 years.

IHATEMYVOLVO
By IHATEVOLVO on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This has been the worst car-ownership experience EVER! When I tried to complain to the dealership about the EXPENSIVE maintenance (new brakes, etc.) they sent me a form letter telling me not to come back - even though my car was a LEASE!!!!!!!! I also own 2 Audis (the best) where all maintenance is INCLUDED! Don Beyer and Volvo are the WORST and I tell this to everyone I know (and always will)

The S40, a poor man's BMW 3 series
By graphics_diva on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall, this is a great car. Some of the interior items (knobs, handles) scratch and wear poorly. Cup holder and automatic window controls are poorly located. This car goes thru break shoes extremely fast, like every 15K, but to be fair, it stops on a dime. Volvo dealerships treat all car owners like gold, even if you have their lowest priced model as I do. They fix head and tail lights for free and with no argument and will provide a loaner car if only you ask for one. Customer service is a number one priority and they are THE BEST. It is mostly the service that convince me that my next car should also be a Volvo.

An excellent car!
By Wiliam Su on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

The Volvo S40 is a very powerful, beautiful machine, with a very good value and it is the safest car in the segment.

Is this really a Volvo?
By sportsguy on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Other Volvo's I've owned have been solid cars. I've been disappointed with the S40. It's noisy on the highway, too small and not solid. It seems a little cheap. The turbo provides a nice boost entering traffic or the highway.

No more Volvos--EVER
By S40NoWay on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Extremely disappointed. In the shop more than I can count. Rear brakes, rotors, calipers replace. Oil line to turbo leaked. Headlites burnouts (it's like headlites were just invented!), premature wear on tires and brake pads, etc, etc. Check Engine & service lites go on and off; All 4 wheel medallions fallen off. NO POWER BRAKE ASSIST INTERMITTENTLY ON STARTUP - MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE -dealer cant fix it. Electric vacuum booster pump is the culprit. Over the warranty limit so Im on my own with this hunk of junk. service department is the worst Ive EVER experienced. What arrogance and ineptness! cost of repairs is astronomical.

Great little car
By GaVolvo on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've put about 34K on my S40 in the 3 years I've had it. I have had very few problems and those were handled by the dealership. They replaced both the headlamps when one went out. The brakes made it to 25K - and were inexpensive to fix at the dealership. Gas mileage in the city is 24mpg. The hubcap centerpieces kept popping out, but Volvo fixed that. It's been a great little car.

Don't do it!
By caiti on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is, without a doubt, the worse car I have ever owned. With slightly over 30K on it I have replaced :six tires and two rims, the moonroof, countless back bulbs, the air conditioner, two sets of brakes, failed front headlights, hazard lights, and of course, let's not forget that pesty check engine light (which others might find easy to disregard but when you are transporting your one and two year old children, I still find very alarming). I have never written a review of anything in my life but, in this case, I felt I must.

Short of Expectations
By Clay Bittner on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I thought when buying the S40 that I was stepping up to a luxury automobile that would cross over into the service provided etc. I definitely thought wrong. The buying and service experience I had with my second car (an Infiniti) was far more enjoyable than the Volvo experience. Owning my Volvo was a similar experience to my experiences owning a Honda which is not what I thought I was getting into. Probably will not own or lease another Volvo. Looking back I should have gone for the Infiniti G20 instead although the car has been "OK".