2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
Volvo4Life
By Volvo4Life? on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I Like this car except for 3 major issues: 1. Goes thru initial brake pads at about 15K miles. 2. Horrible leg room for passengers in the back seat. 3. This car does not hold it's value. Prepare to tak a huge hit if you lease.

Bad Headlights
By bad headlights on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Doesn't set my hair on fire. Headlights burn out at least once per year. If the Turbo isn't spooled up, the car is VERY sluggish.

Nice little car
By Scott Johnson on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

So far the car has been everything we have hoped and expected. Design is typical Volvo, safety is better than most cars on the road and the drive is smooth, quiet and luxurious for a mid- size vehicle.

Mediocre Car
By VOLVOS40DRVR on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

The S-40 is an average attempt by Volvo to create a fun little sedan that will appeal to a younger demographic. I've had no major issues with mine, but little things have plagued me... especially that darn "check engine" light that seems to need resetting every month. The paint is of very poor quality and looks much older than three years even though I've had the car repainted. The leather seats have already started to crack and the car has less than 40k miles. Overall, I would not recommend this particular car.

NEVER AGAIN
By SLOWVOLVO on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had every problem that's been discussed. Brakes wear out at 15K, front head lights burn out after 5K, the piece of junk has always vibrate at 70 miles per hour. I suggest before you buy one of these, you take it out on the Interstate and get it up to speed. Dyer & Dyer Chamblee really should feel guilty for allowing these pieces of junk to sit in their showroom and for providing years of terrible service. All in all, the car is sooo bad, it sits parked in my garage. Terrible just terrible. I will not only never purchase a Volvo again, I'll never purchase a FORD again, since Ford in responsible for this junk.

Excellent Choice!
By Leon3322 on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Excellent choice in a vehicle for a company that is known for safety and reliability.

Volvo Owner
By Ron Laub on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had a few maintenance problems but overall very satisfied. Worked with Volvo of the Triad in Winston- Salem, NC and Volvo of Dallas in Carrollton, TX. The sales people (Trey) at Volvo of the Triad were great to work with. Totally opposite the dealership in Greensboro (Crown). Have referred my brother and two friends to Volvo of the Trid and they both bought Volvo's there. Most of my service work has been with Volvo of Dallas and the shop supervisor (Aldo) is the best.

A Mitsubishi at Heart
By yankees481 on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

The car is just unacceptably unreliable, possibly cause its not a true volvo. It performs well enough, with a zippy turbo engine, but the brakes, tires, engine all have been problematic. Nothing lasts as long as it should. The power steering failed on me. Right now im looking at having serious engine repairs. Its leaking oil. Its just unacceptable. stay away from this car, especially at this price.

volvo headaches
By Klondike Kev on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overated. Returned to dealer on 4 or 5 occasions for various moans, groans, or grunts. Replaced left side strut assembly, steering column removed for addition of some special grease, headlight bulbs all replaced(at my expense), several rear brake bulbs and taillight bulbs,broken window switch, rear brake pads. Car still grunts and groans and I am replacing bulbs at an alarming rate. Rear seat horrendous for more than ten minutes. Fuggetaboutit.!!

Lemon
By unhappy mom on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had all the problems that have been listed in these reviews, some repeatedly. This is the worst car I have ever owned. Plus, the dealership has not been willing to work with us. The power assist brake system failed while driving, and luckily I was able to stop the vehicle. The airbag light was on at the time this occurred, and the dealership informed me that the airbags would not have deployed had there been an accident. The brakes continue to give us problems.