2000 S40 Great Fun/long term
By Joe Nemastil on
2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan
There have been many "negative" remarks for this vehicle and model year, but maybe, as my vehicle was an OSD [oversears delivery], somewhat better build quality was initiated into it, I do not know. I never found any problems with my motor mounts. There were the electrical headlight "burnouts", but the TSB[tech servive bulletin] for this problem solved it. An A/C problem was fixed via another TSB. Converting the brake pads and rotors to semimetallic Mintex pads, and Power Slot rotors, reduced significantly the front dust, and greatly added to the OE fantastic stopping power of the EBD/ABS system. My S40 has been exceptionally reliable and dependable! Changed wipers to PIAA brand.
Favorite Features
The fold-down seats are great for hauling bulk items, and for driving long distances, are very comfortable. Adjustable center arm rest adds to long-drive comfort. My sport steering wheel option in addition to the Dynamic Stability Assistance are fantastic. Driver seat is fully adjustable!
Suggested Improvements
For the ultimate "driver's vehicle", I added the IPD rear sway bar kit, their strut tower brace, a set of Koni yellow Sport struts and shocks, and a high performance exhaust and Cat. I also changed the OE tires and wheels to 205/55/15 Bridgestone Potenza S03 tires as mounted on 15X7" alloys.