Used 2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
No Problems
By Mr. B on 10/21/09 05:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I Have owned this vehicle for about 6 years and have had few problems that I have not seen in my other vehicles. Firstly, I bought it with 18k so I had time to put some mileage on it. I currently have over 200k and have done 5 brake Jobs so the brakes have been fine for me. My headlights burnt out frequently until I fixed the ground. I have replaced my struts with konis and would highly recommend them. I have replaced my motor mounts, cv axle, and turbo seals once. So I don't know why everyone is complaining about these cars, if you maintain them they last awhile. Oil change at 3k not 7500.

NEVER BUY A VOLVO
By lopp on 09/22/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I will never buy another volvo in my life. My car has been in and out of the mechanic shop for various reasons - coil springs, thermostat,sensors, throttle position, etc. Believe it or not my car has even accelerated twice on its own. Talk about a scary situation. The drivers window doesn't go down and interior parts from the sunroof have fallen off.MY radio antenna recently fell off. Last but not least half the lights on the radio no longer work. Thanks volvo for the lemon!

Who Messed Up Volvo
By TSandd on 08/27/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Boxey was Best. I have never been so angry at an inanimate object in my life! Bought in 2003.Tune ups $500, varous issues with brakes $800 and finally the head gasket blew and killed the engine.Bought an engine with 50,000 miles on it. 6 months later hose to coolant broke and temperture gauge did not register.Alas, another blown headgasket.Found this company on the internet that completely fixed it with a liquid for $165 bucks, awesome saved me $1200.Well, then the battery died, bought a new one, slow to start the 2nd day, almost impossible to crank and roll over the 3rd day!!! On the 4th day would not start, mecahnic has no clue what is wrong and cannot start it. I AM DONE WITH VOLVO's....

volvo s40 review
By luv my volvo on 07/29/09 17:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was so sad to read all the bad reviews of the volvo s40's. My 2000 s40 has been wonderful! I have changed the oil, brakes, tires and battery and that is it!! This car has been great to me! My car has 95,000 miles and still runs great!

first ride
By ewalker1 on 06/11/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This was my first car-- so excited to have a safe and reliable car. Little did I know it would cost me THOUSANDS in credit card debt to maintain it. My headlights burn out in a couple of months, the CEL NEVER shuts off, the windshield wipers need to be replaced frequently (courtesy of New England weather). I spend all of my money on Volvo Techs diagnosing my problems, fixing them, and then finding a new one the next day. It's really been a nightmare- if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

Have Loved This Car for 9 years!
By happy owner on 06/07/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

To make this short, I love the car! I purchased it new at the very end of '99 & have been driving it since 1-00. I really don't get the negative comments. Maybe, as one person mentioned, mine hasn't had the same issues because I ordered it before they came out & it was delivered from overseas?? But, it is NOT the first year for the car; they had been out in Europe for a couple of years. I've replaced a few things, but for a car with 100,000 miles, that's typical. The headlights did seem to go out too quickly at first, but doesn't seem to be an issue now. They're about $12 at PepBoys & they'll put them in for free, or for $5 if they're not feeling generous. I'd buy this car again

Not a Volvo, A Mitsubishi
By wd on 06/06/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Volvo made a critical error in marketing this Mitsubishi built car as a Volvo. It has really hurt their overall rep in the USA. While the car is decent and can last a good while if HEAVILY cared for (now at 135K and still running strong), it just does not have the build quality of a Swedish built sedan. Volvo if you learn anything from this experience, do NOT sell out again just to get market share...it hurts you in the long run. Volvo buyers are NOT simple minded and we know good products and bad products. The 2000-04 S40 is just a bad product (relative to what we expect)

a great car for less of money
By kp on 03/21/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

the car is great very comfortable and secure.if you get the maintenance on schedule no problems with the car.

Will never buy another Volvo!
By Volvo Victim on 03/06/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Out of the 4 cars I have owned I have had the most trouble with my S40 Volvo. In a 4 yr. period I have paid $8,000 in repair (that includes 1 scheduled maintenance at 80,000 miles but does not include regular oil changes). A few problematic things to mention are shifter broke, radiator hoses, motor mounts catalytic converter, attena stopped working, window stopped working, O2 sensors...the list goes on. I will never buy another Volvo!

My S40
By Czar on 02/20/09 20:47 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

First, let me say that I do love my car. It's reliable and safe. The problems that crop up are minor but sometimes annoying. Let me first disagree with some: the armrest is fine, paint is amazing and I don't know what glare they're talking about. That being said, I believe the manual seats could be redesigned, and the cup holder is atrocious. Rear locks do stick. A lot of little nothings. However, it's a blast to drive at speed. It also handles reasonably well and I like the stiff feel. It's also very safe speaking from fender-bender experience. I recommend it as a great college car (when I bought it, anyway).