2000 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )
worst investment I've ever made
By never_again5 on 11/12/12 19:52 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 and 1/2 years and I have spent at least 5k on repairs. I bought it for about $3,800. I have nothing but problems from day one. I've had the engine rebuilt (blown head gasket), which was the most expensive. Had a massive oil leak, which took my mechanic boyfriend countless hours and dollars trying to fix. That was fixed... then on to the rest of the problems. Now, my favorite issue is that it revs when in drive, park, or neutral. It accelerates and decelerates all by it self if my foot isn't on the gas pedal. How fun! I don't have enough room to go over all of the problems I've had but I've been so sad about it. The car is so cute and I love the turbo but just awful.

I Love This CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By packersfan12 on 03/07/11 09:35 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've seen a few others say bad thing and im sry to hear that mine has 157k on it and runns like a dream besides a few problems like to o2 sensor this car is great fast and fun to drive volvo as far a i know has always been known for building high quality cars that run 4 a long time with the proper care plus they are some of the safest as well i love my volvo hope you do to

My lonesome 2000 Volvo S40
By avonbyval on 02/12/11 06:26 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Once again, my poor Volvo sits and waits for my attention. Bought it 3 years ago with new engine. Absolutely love the way it drives and still do (but not at the moment). Replaced radiator last year. Have blinker problems sometimes. Last problem was weird; the car started to accelerate while we were driving in town, and when I went put it in park the rpms revved up, then turned off the engine. Later that evening we went out to eat and when we first parked, the car revved up again, then I turned the car off. When we came back out the car wouldn't start at all. Didn't sound like a typical timing belt issue, sounded more like it was out of gas. Towed car home. Car sits waiting for me:(

I'm gonna miss this car
By torik on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

i had this car for almost 4 years, and it was awesome. i love to drive fast and it always gave me that extra kick, i loved the interior and cant imagine how i would have gotten around in the rain without the "W" wet/winter mode button. the interior was ahead great; it had stuff that my friends brand new cars didnt,like heated and power leather seats. i never had too many problems with it, it had a temperamental check engine light but otherwise it was just a great first car to have. i ended up rolling it off a mountain(over 300ft down/out) and have no doubt in my mind that that car saved my life, i was literally able to walk out, and only have some minor problems with my shoulder.

2000 Review Volvo S40
By Frank on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 2000, it has 153,000 miles, serviced every 3,000 miles: Since then replaced (besides normal service items i.e. timing belt, filters, etc.): Front struts Brakes 5 times Front rotors Motor mount Cataylic converter ($1,000) Ignition part Fuel Pressure regulator Turbo seal Car has lousy paint. And, it is important to ensure you have a good 4 wheel alignment for tire life. I guess so long as my repair bills do not exceed new car payments, I'll keep driving it.

my volvo S40 2.00T
By luke on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Im saddened to here the negatives although i have not had it long i love it! I had a 1969 Volvo before and i loved that one too i have had Honda's,Fords and a Toyota and they all stink big time!! So i decided to go back to Volvo i am soooo glad i did, now when i see a Honda on the road i cant help but laugh, because they are trouble on wheels! If you want to complain about a Volvo go get a Honda if they dont rust to peaces then they will break into peaces, yes parts are expensive for Volvo, but they dont seem to break my 1969 Volvo after 6 years the only problem i had was getting someone to set the twin SU carbs.

Volvo
By S40 John on 05/25/10 10:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Yes this car has its problems, every car does. For the most part the pluses outweigh problems. The styling is classic, It's very fast and fun to drive. Huge sunroof, amazing on gas, fits anywhere and AMAZING in the snow (was as good as my 4wd Jeep I owned). Aside from keeping up on things that break from time to time, it's a very solid/safe smaller car.

crack - crack - crack
By jackson on 03/19/10 23:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

on top of the frequent problems, such as ignition and, frequently, the sensor system, there were problems with the front end wearing out so quickly,and finally, like the 'passing' of an overly-annoying dog, the car died at only 124k miles -- overheated and ruined the cylinder heads, with about 5 seconds of warning.

Good Car
By Smuggus on 03/08/10 13:26 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has been awesome. I bought it and did some work too it (400 dollars) and it lasted me a 4k round trip with no problems. I do know about all of the claims to infamy on here, like the battery not starting on the third day, you needed to reset the computer. The rough idle is either motor mounts (problem on all volvos) or ignition coils. The cup holder had to be put there because there was nowhere else to put it, if it was under the arm rest then the arm rest couldn't come down all the way. So there you have it, it is a good car and if you take care of it and know how to take care of the Swedish/Japanese beauty she will take care of you.

Its a Mitsubishi and it shows!
By Dude on 10/30/09 12:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S40 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Ive had a few Volvos and they were all better off than this one. Always has some kind of problem even though I maintain the car way better than whats called for. I only keep it because now I drive a crazy amount for work and the fuel mileage is good when its not blowing O2 sensors! It rattles like crazy and sometimes I want to set it on fire. I should have kept the S70 because real Volvos are great cars. How disappointing!