Used 2000 Volvo S40 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volvo S40

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (109 reviews )

worst investment I've ever made
By never_again5

2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 and 1/2 years and I have spent at least 5k on repairs. I bought it for about $3,800. I have nothing but problems from day one. I've had the engine rebuilt (blown head gasket), which was the most expensive. Had a massive oil leak, which took my mechanic boyfriend countless hours and dollars trying to fix. That was fixed... then on to the rest of the problems. Now, my favorite issue is that it revs when in drive, park, or neutral. It accelerates and decelerates all by it self if my foot isn't on the gas pedal. How fun! I don't have enough room to go over all of the problems I've had but I've been so sad about it. The car is so cute and I love the turbo but just awful.

Favorite Features

The seat warmers and the turbo.

I Love This CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By packersfan12

2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've seen a few others say bad thing and im sry to hear that mine has 157k on it and runns like a dream besides a few problems like to o2 sensor this car is great fast and fun to drive volvo as far a i know has always been known for building high quality cars that run 4 a long time with the proper care plus they are some of the safest as well i love my volvo hope you do to

My lonesome 2000 Volvo S40
By avonbyval

2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Once again, my poor Volvo sits and waits for my attention. Bought it 3 years ago with new engine. Absolutely love the way it drives and still do (but not at the moment). Replaced radiator last year. Have blinker problems sometimes. Last problem was weird; the car started to accelerate while we were driving in town, and when I went put it in park the rpms revved up, then turned off the engine. Later that evening we went out to eat and when we first parked, the car revved up again, then I turned the car off. When we came back out the car wouldn't start at all. Didn't sound like a typical timing belt issue, sounded more like it was out of gas. Towed car home. Car sits waiting for me:(

Favorite Features

All problems (which really are very few) aside, I absolutely love this car. It dashes around like a little sporty car should, and cleans up nice so people think at least that I'm not dirt poor. I fell in love with it at the mechanic's shop when I first saw it, and he wanted 4500 for it. I got him down to 3500 cash, and went for it. I was so impressed by the way it handled. Roomy enough for 2 in the front, 2 in the back. Typical Volvo boxiness was gone, however, with this model. Miss my boxy Volvos I do! Love the way it picks up in speed and smoothly zips in and out of traffic. Comfortable for the long haul too, as we live in the country and have to drive several miles into town.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders could use a little tweeking and not be so cheap. My interior at least is not leather, and I wish it was. I got the basic car. I have no idea if it's a turbo or not, but since I haven't found a non-turbo 2000 S40, I believe it is. The passenger window switch is placed on the center console instead of on the passenger door, which really aggravates passengers trying to roll down their window. The switch is underneath the arm rest. Volvo was asleep when they did this. Other than that, I love the car so much it hurts given the fact it sits lonesome, waiting for a mechanic's attention once again.

I'm gonna miss this car
By torik

2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan

i had this car for almost 4 years, and it was awesome. i love to drive fast and it always gave me that extra kick, i loved the interior and cant imagine how i would have gotten around in the rain without the "W" wet/winter mode button. the interior was ahead great; it had stuff that my friends brand new cars didnt,like heated and power leather seats. i never had too many problems with it, it had a temperamental check engine light but otherwise it was just a great first car to have. i ended up rolling it off a mountain(over 300ft down/out) and have no doubt in my mind that that car saved my life, i was literally able to walk out, and only have some minor problems with my shoulder.

Favorite Features

Super safe, leather, turbo. great first car to have

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders

2000 Review Volvo S40
By Frank

2000 Volvo S40 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 2000, it has 153,000 miles, serviced every 3,000 miles: Since then replaced (besides normal service items i.e. timing belt, filters, etc.): Front struts Brakes 5 times Front rotors Motor mount Cataylic converter ($1,000) Ignition part Fuel Pressure regulator Turbo seal Car has lousy paint. And, it is important to ensure you have a good 4 wheel alignment for tire life. I guess so long as my repair bills do not exceed new car payments, I'll keep driving it.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive (great handling), gets great gas mileage if driven conservatively (30 mpg), excellent motor and transmission (so far).

Suggested Improvements

I understand Volvo has corrected the paint issue. The center console arm rest is a nusance.