Tranny issues plague C70
By ncmommy on
2004 Volvo C70 LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)
I bought my 2004 in 2005 and love the look with the top down. The main thing to watch out for is the transmission!!! At 90,000 miles it began to slip and by 120,000 I had to have it rebuilt to the tune of $3500. Since having this work done I've not had any additional issues but was sorely disappointed in this Volvo as I've owned 6 and this one just pooped out. Another thing to watch is to never drive up too close to a parking curb!!! The bumper is so flexible and low to the ground as to let the car easily run up. Due to the shape it will literally rip off when you back up. This has happened to me 2x and I swear I'm not being as stupid as this sounds.
Favorite Features
The lines are really lovely when the top is down. There's a surprising amount of room in the trunk as long as your suitcase isn't too thick! The sound system that comes standard has really good quality speakers.
Suggested Improvements
The transmission! As I stated above it's pathetic that a Volvo would give out so early. Because of their reputation you'd expect 200,000 miles but I guess that was before they sold out. The one day to day thing that could really have been improved is the speed that the electronic seat moves.... you stand there in the carpool line waiting for it to sloooowly move up, the kids get frustrated, and then they have to wrestle their bookbag out of the back.