Used 2004 Volvo C70 LPT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C70 model:

Tranny issues plague C70
By ncmommy

2004 Volvo C70 Convertible LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2004 in 2005 and love the look with the top down. The main thing to watch out for is the transmission!!! At 90,000 miles it began to slip and by 120,000 I had to have it rebuilt to the tune of $3500. Since having this work done I've not had any additional issues but was sorely disappointed in this Volvo as I've owned 6 and this one just pooped out. Another thing to watch is to never drive up too close to a parking curb!!! The bumper is so flexible and low to the ground as to let the car easily run up. Due to the shape it will literally rip off when you back up. This has happened to me 2x and I swear I'm not being as stupid as this sounds.

Favorite Features

The lines are really lovely when the top is down. There's a surprising amount of room in the trunk as long as your suitcase isn't too thick! The sound system that comes standard has really good quality speakers.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission! As I stated above it's pathetic that a Volvo would give out so early. Because of their reputation you'd expect 200,000 miles but I guess that was before they sold out. The one day to day thing that could really have been improved is the speed that the electronic seat moves.... you stand there in the carpool line waiting for it to sloooowly move up, the kids get frustrated, and then they have to wrestle their bookbag out of the back.

My Super Sexy Hottie C70
By supersexyc70

2004 Volvo C70 Convertible LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

What can I possibly say about my "C70~Gal"; we met at the Volvo Factory Gothenburg... I was in Europe on business. But, prior to going their i was at the La Car Show were I saw this model on display. Their I said I have to have one; the sales gal who was from Sweden invited me to the factory. Once at the factory I got the grand tour and told them I was going to be in Europe on business from a few months. So, I purchased the car drove it all over Europe, and into Africa. A week before leaving back to Calif., the factory took care of the smog and between us we added a whole bunch of options that you would have not gotten here in the USA. To this day I am still in a State of total Aw! TY Volvo

Favorite Features

1. The tightness of the top, noise free; 2. Handling when in wet-weather & /or Snow; 3. Sound system; 4. Gages; 5. Safety back-up light; 6. Truck space when top is up or down; 7. Heater seats; 8. Low maintenance; 9. Low wind noise when top is down; 10. Volvo Maintenance have been the best - friendly, fast & I always got a loaner Volvo car.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough sunny year around to drive with top down..!

First Volvo
By capteemo

2004 Volvo C70 Convertible LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car had been in an accident and had a salvage title, price right, but some concern because of that. However, once I put new tires and new engine mounts on the car (they had deteriorated in hot Florida weather) this car runs like new and is a pleasure to drive. Good pickup, great fun on an open winding road with the top down.

Favorite Features

Quality, one touch top down, roomy, especially back seat, for this type car.

Suggested Improvements

obviously the slow operation of power seats and flimsy cupholders

Fun Car
By Ross

2004 Volvo C70 Convertible LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Really enjoy the car. Being 6'3", I need more head room than most. This car fits me well. Smooth engine, great looks. Only problems: slow acceleration up slight grades sometimes causes the tranny to slip a bit between 2nd and 3rd. No slip at heavier acceleration though. Also, get verbal abuse about the headlight wipers:Could do without them. Actually room under the hood to work on a few things myself. Only other nitpick is the slow power seat feature to enter the back seat.

Favorite Features

Push button top, foldaway top gives nice finished look.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight wipers could go away, slipping tranny, slow back seat motion would drive you crazy if putting kids in the back regularly.

Fun Car
By Maureen Chuga

2004 Volvo C70 Convertible LPT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have found this car fun to drive. I've gotten 26 mpg highway. I'm able to easily zip in and out of traffic when entering highway and changing lanes. Easy to park. Has trunk space for 1 large and 2 small suitcases with extra space for shopping bags.

Favorite Features

1 button convertible top

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are flimsy.